Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a personal question, but i'm interested in hearing a how people calm themselves before shooting.

Whether it's target panic, doubts about your form, or simply shooting in bad weather, what do you guys do to get in the zone?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I take a deep breath and slowly let it out as my eyes burn a hole in the spot I want to hit.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I run a mental program. To learn how to do this Find anything written by Lanny Bassham......... Get your head right and everything else will follow.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I like to pick a spot and make a decision what i'am going to do befor i draw the bow. Then when i get to full draw i tell myself to just stay in the shot.this seems to help me i fight punching the trigger and droping my arm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like to pick a spot and make a decision what i'am going to do befor i draw the bow. Then when i get to full draw i tell myself to just stay in the shot.this seems to help me i fight punching the trigger and droping my arm.
I do the same thing. I look at the bullseye, draw back, float the pin and when it settles on the spot I want to hit I pull the trigger. I have my form and stuff down so it all just seems automatic, but when I get out of whack I take a minute and breathe and just try to forget about the last shot.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Benedryl. One pill about an hour before really calms you down.

·
Registered
560 Posts
breathe and stop looking at the horns focus on a "spot"

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Mental talk works..."It's only one shot...It's only a deer... You've made this shot a million times...It's only paper/foam!"

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
First, and foremost, don't look at the horns. I draw my bow and put the pin on target. I take a deep breath and release half of it. While holding the rest in my lungs, I slowly squeeze the trigger. Make sure to follow through with the shot. Don't drop your bow arm until after the arrow hits the target.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Run a mental program of pick a spot, draw, settle in aim, aim, aim, gone. Rest of your form should be automatic from working on each step one at a time until it is automatic

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think about all the wonderful things Obama has done to turn this country around. Especially all the jobs he created . Lol

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"goosfraba"

·
Socket Man
23,852 Posts
I find that regular shooting gives me confidence that I am ready to make the shot at hand because I have been making it in practice on a regular basis and I am not asking myself to do something out of my ability level.

Also don't be afraid to be yourself and go for your goal, I find that most guys at archery shoots are weak minded and claim to just shoot for fun and they don't care about their score. Well that is fine but I do want to win, and I had trouble just shooting to win when I first started because so many guys acted that way. Now I shoot to win even if my group is really laid back and that has really helped me.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
heroin

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mental talk works..."It's only one shot...It's only a deer... You've made this shot a million times...It's only paper/foam!"
Thats pretty much what I do. " Its only a deer and its not the end of the world if I dont get him. No pressure." Then when I draw its " Ive hit the target a thousand times so I know I can hit this". "Just pick a spot" It works most of the time but I had a big buck pin me down for 15 minutes one time that had me shaking the whole tree.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I mentally have to slow myself down and pick a patch of hair or a spot that I want to hit and focus only on where i'm aiming, then I tell myself to relax and shot the way I always do. You have to have some kind of a mental routine and like what was already stated, do not focus on the antlers, but visualize where the arrow is going to pass though.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You DON'T!!
Take shots after a quick sprint around the yard.
You're blood is pumping and your breathing is heavy.
I do this to counteract buck fever in the stand.
If you practice shooting this way, the effect come time for hunting season is less of a problem.
You don't want to lose that feeling.
It's what makes me do this year after year.
Just for moments like that.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I know it's a personal question, but i'm interested in hearing a how people calm themselves before shooting.

Whether it's target panic, doubts about your form, or simply shooting in bad weather, what do you guys do to get in the zone?
I assume you must mean when shooting competitively, right? Because I don't need anything to relax out in the yard. Shooting at a target is how I relax.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts