Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you know when it's time to replace a release?

1045 Views 12 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  MikeK
I have used the same release for three years now and it still seems to work properly. When will I know that it is time to replace it?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,898 Posts
re

mine is more than 3 years old and its still working great. I am not plannnin to get a new one until there is wearing away on the strap,or until I encounter a problem

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I bought mine used several years ago. It's probably at least 10 years old by the looks of it. I don't think they really need to be replaced often unless you want a different style, or it breaks.

· Registered
2,910 Posts
I am shooting the same Carter Big Kid I bought from Jerry at Nationals almost 20years ago.It has never been apart and works great.I think that once your brain wont let you operate it then you should move on.Otherwise wait till your hand falls off.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
shot the same scott caliper for 17 years, It still works but 3 years ago i went to a Scott mongoose just cause i wanted to.:wink:

Been through 20 hand held Thumb releases so far just trying to find the right one.

· Registered
166 Posts
My release is over 30 years old and still working great. The only that needed to be replaced was the rope but otherwise no problems at all. You can't beat a high quality product.

· Air Bender
820 Posts
My release is about 14 years old, i have a backup, that i don't even remember shooting with, its just there...

· Registered
462 Posts
Still shooting a 20 year old Fletchmatic rope release. I have two of them. At this rate I may never need the backup one. Tried a different release for a while and it never felt right and did more harm than good. Went back to what works for me.

· Registered
12 Posts
Iused a flechmatic-T for over 20 years it worked well,Igave it to my son swiched to anouther thum release an Insatiable-3 I put the lightest spring in and love it.

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
My release is over 30 years old and still working great. The only that needed to be replaced was the rope but otherwise no problems at all. You can't beat a high quality product.
Let me guess -- is it a Hot Shot?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.