Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you leave your blind at night after shooting light when you have deer in the area? Is there a trick?
Well we screwed up friday night and just got up and left and learned our lesson about the time the four 100-120 class bucks weren't there saturday night!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... or even a treestand:confused:

·
Banned
919 Posts
I do a couple of different things depending on deer movement

I only hunt from tree stands so this probably won't work in a blind.

If i am seeing deer and i know there are deer in the area around my stand i usually drop my quiver out of the stand to spook the deer away and they have no clue .

If i don't see any or here any deer i just get down slowly and then leave

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is no easy way...

AJ008 said:
Just wondering how you leave your blind at night after shooting light when you have deer in the area? Is there a trick?
Well we screwed up friday night and just got up and left and learned our lesson about the time the four 100-120 class bucks weren't there saturday night!:rolleyes:
I have either called the house or used a 2way to have some one get on an ATV and ride back through the field. The deer are used to the kids on them but usually it'll make them try to sneak away. (It's not reccommended to try and get the wife to do this if temps are below freezing. LOL)

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you know there are deer around you I would throw some sticks or rocks through the woods to spook them away. What ever you do don't stand up and just walk out unless you can walk out away from them so that they don't see you. I have had friends come out super late because they had deer around them. Sometimes you just have to wait.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I try to wait them out, but if it is too long, I get out my flashlight, shine it on one of them, and shoot it...OK, I am kidding...I have had to throw something to spook them. As long as they don't see you, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Tried a coyote howler once. The does immediately went on alert but just stood there staring straight toward my tree for a while. After a bit they relaxed and kept feeding.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Re: How do you leave your blind at night?

Through the door.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow no deer????

HNSB said:
Re: How do you leave your blind at night?

Through the door.
I guess it's an easy thing to do if you don't have deer around you LOL That is what the man is asking...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
AJ008 said:
AJ008,
The "trick" is, don't. :hand: Stay put until they move on. Spooking them in any manner alerts them to your presence and they may not be back to that area for some time. :fear:

I've had to wait up to 2 hours before taking my treestand down or folding up my ground blind, BUT I didn't spook the deer and seen them again the following time I hunted.

I never leave a stand/blind, as I can't afford to supply others with my hard earned equipment. :frusty: Plus, I don't want anyone knowing that there's another hunter in the area to "crowd" the area that I've picked to hunt. Not to mention all the critters chewing on the stand/blind or the weather taking its' toll on it too.

Whatever it takes in a few extra minutes to set up or take down is worth not having to replace it. :thumb:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its private land so I'm not worried about the blind going anywhere:wink:

I'd wait but with the alfalfa still not cut they have no reason to leave until morning, though every once in a while they will move on.

So yote howler or have someone spook them?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have waited before but sometime you just cant. Mother nature or the wife, neither is wise to make wait. LOL
I try to get down as quietly as possible and then use my flashlight to walk right out or around the area they are in. They can not see you only the light so they are not spooked as if a hunter pr predator was in the area.
You must keep thelight point towards them but it does work.
I just posted about this light therory in another post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts