Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any requirements besides straight? Would you climb a tree that doesnt have much cover but is in the perfect spot? Like open hardwoods.

My cousin will not climb without cover. Problem for me is that i hunt a lot of hardwoods and sometimes there isnt much cover. Im climbing about 20-23ft now.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
!si consiferation

is if there is poison ivey on it ! Then I try to find a tree with smaller trees close by. I also don't want a hickory nut tree, bark is too hard.I really like a tree that threee or four trees grow out of the same stump. Cover is good,but not always possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sitting backwards

if i find a tree in the perfect spot and no cover, i will try and set up with the tree between me and the direction i expect deer to approach that way you can use the tree for cover. so i would be set up faceing in the oppisite direction and watching behind me. be careful not to step backwards that first step can be a dousey!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ideally I find one that's straight for about 20 feet before branching out. How many of those are there?:confused: I like to at least have a Y in the tree that I can use for cover, but if not, I stand back and see what the back cover looks like. If I have trees close in front or behind me, they provide plenty of cover. One of my best spots makes you feel as if you're in the wide open, but from the deer's perspective, you're totally covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts