Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your practice routine and how often do you practrice?

My schedule depending on the time of year and season:

INDOOR
Usually practice on a 5 spot NFAA face, shoot two practice rounds and then score a full round like a actual tournament. I usually practice twice a week unless I am getting ready for a tourament and then increase the practice schedule to three or four times a week.

FIELD
Practice twice a week at NFAA yardages and try to shoot a complete round at least once a week.

3D
Practice known yardages and work on yardage estimation.

HUNTING
I honestly don't practice much with a hunting bow as the other forms of practice keep me in shape. Starting a couple months before season I try to shoot a single arrow as often as I can at my backyard target to simulate a hunting situation that would require a single shot out of a cold bow with me not being warmed up and stretched out.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't belong to a club anymore, so I don't have those facilities, and I only shoot 3D and field comps.

I have 20 to 35 yards at home, and then out to 80 yards at our pony paddock. I tend to throw around 30 to 60 arrows every few days (depending on the weather) at home, concentrating on technique, so aim, loose follow through. I don't score, but I note each shot for accuracy to the point of aim.

When I'm fine tuning a bow, or running up to a competition, I will spend a couple of afternoon / evening at the paddock, shooting 45 to 60 yards, again concentrating on technique. I also do some range estimating , but most of that is done at comps, and gets better as the season goes on.

A few times during the season, I drive about 70 miles, to meet up with a couple of buddies, and we shoot a private 3D course (which is constantly changing), but that is more for a fun day out....although, we do keep scores.

It's a pretty informal routine, but it works for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
having a 2 yr old son doesn't give me the time nor the priviledge to shoot at a local range as much as I want to. so what I do is I shoot everyday just about anywhere from 4-12 arrows a day sitting down as if I'm shooting from a tree stand. If I can draw my bow sitting down, I can draw it easily standing up and I just apply the same way how I practiced aiming at a target in my basement and do it the same when I'm at the range or at the tournament

·
Cato
4,077 Posts
Some of you guys are much further along than I in the competition arena. I am primarily a bare bow fingers guy, and shoot for hunting and pleasure. That said, I would love to get some time in with a 5 spot face just to see where I am in my journey. There are virtually no fingers shooters left in my area other than trad guys.

One of the trad DVDs that is popular now, is the several volume set called "Masters of the Barebow". In volume 3, they spend a lot of time with Larry Yien and Rod Jenkins, both of whom compete at a high level with trad equipment bare bow. In that DVD, both guys talk about close bale shooting. Now I have always thought about that as a way to work on target panic, and maintain a good feel for a good shot. However, these guys take their shot sequence and break it down into 7 phases. They say that they spend hours at the close bale working on one phase at a time. I found the DVD to be helpful. It has made me re-examine each phase of my shot. In fact, until this year, I did not have a specific shot sequence.

Anyway, for those like me that are trying to work on their shot, the DVD may be helpful.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I havent got to shoot a lot lately but Im hoping that changes soon. I always shoot 1 arrow at a time. I have a maximum of 30 yards or so to shoot and normally I shoot 10-25. I put a bottle cap in my black hole layered target and shoot at that.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In that DVD, both guys talk about close bale shooting. Now I have always thought about that as a way to work on target panic, and maintain a good feel for a good shot. However, these guys take their shot sequence and break it down into 7 phases. They say that they spend hours at the close bale working on one phase at a time.
That method is also used in Japanese archery, and you will find practitioners of Kyudo do exactly the same thing.

I am self taught, as I didn't even know archery clubs existed when I started out, let alone how to find them (no internet in 1986). I used to spend a lot of time at 10 to 15 yards, until I could be sure I would hit the target every time.

Even now, with a new bow and new sights, I start off at 15 yards, and get all the basic settings done at that range, before I step back to 25 or 30 yards.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I shoot here at home every night, close to 100 arrows at 20 yards. I shoot an indoor leauge once a week in the evening. I am out at the club every other Friday and most Saturdays shooting a 28 target field round and shoot a 3-D comp every Sunday. Most of the 3-D's I shoot are 42 target shoots.
I think I might shoot to much....LOL
Don.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have been known to shoot 7 days a week, 100+ arrows a day. I have also been known to get "stale" after awhile. Lately I have been shooting a little less and my scores have been going up. I may have to just lay-off long enough to figure out when they start going the other way. I shoot all indoor this time of year and from about March on I shoot all outdoor NFAA field. On the outdoor stuff I try to shoot a little every day. I will generally concentrate on a particular distance 15-30 or 30-45 etc. and then shoot a round for score about once a week.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm very fortunate to have 60 yards, indoor, with lights, and heat. I work for a farmer's cooperative and use the shop/seed storage shed. I have the most fun shooting at this thing though...
target.jpg
I kick it to random distances and try to hit a unique target surface with every shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts