Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you rank

1166 Views 27 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  TPrescott82
Juat want opinions as to how you think someone would rank if they can consistently put 4 arrows into a 2" circle @ 30 yards. Is this considered average,below,above skill level?? :confused3:
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll say probably above average, but what's average. In my opinion its pretty decent, but somone will come along and say that unless you're putting 3 arrows inside a 12ga shell casing at 30yards you need to keep practicing

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Heck IDK It can kill a animal I guess...

· Registered
695 Posts
as long as I can consistently hit where I am aiming and have a clean and ethical kill then I say I am doing pretty good.

Also, your shot grouping depends on how well everyone else in your league can shoot. That may be a winning group in one area and average in another, just depends on how well those around you can shoot.

JOE

· Registered
1,612 Posts

· Registered
15,699 Posts
I would say that is above average shooting. That is about what i shoot on an average day and there are not very many of the average bowhunters than come into our shop that can shoot with me as far as grouping or scores go. An average bowhunter usually has about a 3"-4" group at 30 yards.

· Registered
497 Posts
Heck IDK It can kill a animal I guess...
Like he said, to me the only thing that matters is getting it done come hunting season.

As for your question, I would probablly say out of all the archers in the world, that is Average. If you only include the backyard archers and people who do it as a hobby, I would say its a little above average.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
Real life or internet forum shooter?

· Registered
3,720 Posts
I guess that most of you haven't met the average archer. That is without a doubt a well above average archer. He's consistently shooting 5 spot 300's from 30yrds. That or he's using a messed up tape measure:mg: You guys need to stop measuring things by AT standards. Most of the world has never even heard of this place, yet it is the standard of which many on here expect.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys thanks for the replys. Well I have been out of the archery hobby for several years and just now am getting back into it again. After buying another bow and shooting just about every other day or so, 4 months of shooting has put me to this point. I was just courious as to how my shooting would compare to some of the others. I'm mainly just a target shooter for fun. It gives my two sons(age 14 & 11) and I something fun to do together and they really enjoy it. You will notice in the pic that the one arow is out of the circle a bit but for the most part that was the largest 4 arrow group that I shot that day.

· Registered
9,477 Posts
I guess that most of you haven't met the average archer. That is without a doubt a well above average archer. He's consistently shooting 5 spot 300's from 30yrds. That or he's using a messed up tape measure:mg: You guys need to stop measuring things by AT standards. Most of the world has never even heard of this place, yet it is the standard of which many on here expect.
Your not kidding actually he is probably shooting a 300 from 40 yards. I would bet anything that the average bowhunter would be about a 285 at 20 yards on a 5 spot. If you shoot like that all the time you should be able to shoot a 20 yard 300 60x round problem 1 1/2" at 20 yards should be no problem. something maybe 1% of all archers can do
Please post pics after trying it

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Your not kidding actually he is probably shooting a 300 from 40 yards. I would bet anything that the average bowhunter would be about a 285 at 20 yards on a 5 spot. If you shoot like that all the time you should be able to shoot a 20 yard 300 60x round problem 1 1/2" at 20 yards should be no problem. something maybe 1% of all archers can do
Please post pics after trying it
Not bragging or anything but I quit shooting at 20 yards because I kept messing up arrows. These things cost too much! It's no trouble for me to have all 4 arrows touching at 20 yards. Most of the time I only shoot three and at 20 yards they usually all go in one hole. OK enough of that because someone is going to accuse me of making all this up and all I wanted was some honest opinion as to how my shooting was coming along. I thank all of you for the comments and I'll let this one die now

BTW: The only reason that I started the thread and asked this question is because I've had several friends of mine tell me that I should be shooting tournaments but like I said before I really just enjoy shooting for the fun of it and to do it with my two boys. I was just courious as to where I might fit in as far as skill level thats all.

· Registered
9,477 Posts
Not bragging or anything but I quit shooting at 20 yards because I kept messing up arrows. These things cost too much! It's no trouble for me to have all 4 arrows touching at 20 yards. Most of the time I only shoot three and at 20 yards they usually all go in one hole. OK enough of that because someone is going to accuse me of making all this up and all I wanted was some honest opinion as to how my shooting was coming along. I thank all of you for the comments and I'll let this one die now

BTW: The only reason that I started the thread and asked this question is because I've had several friends of mine tell me that I should be shooting tournaments but like I said before I really just enjoy shooting for the fun of it and to do it with my two boys. I was just courious as to where I might fit in as far as skill level thats all.
You don't shoot more than 1 arrow at a target at 20 yards. there are 5 small targets for 5 arrows
Like I said go buy some 5 spot nfaa targets and post your target after shooting. Take 5 shots 1 arrow at each target at 20 yards 12 times and post your target for a total of 60 arrows. All your shots should be in the X
If you can do that you could probably shoot Pro or atleast give it a shot

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.