Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been shooting very long but was taught (as im sre most of you were) to release with back tension. However, i find that im more accurate with finger release. Not pulling the trigger, but squeezing the trigger like a gun). I practiced the the back release for hundreds of shots and cant make it work for me.

Is it to each his own or should i keep trying??

·
Registered
670 Posts
Back tension is a very very very hard thing to master, so it's not surprising that most people shoot better by pulling the trigger consciously (what we usually call "punching" the trigger)

over the course of a few years you'll eventually find what works best for you. 100% of the world's best archers use some form of back tension, but keep in mind they've been shooting for a good decade at least.

you mentioned a good hundred shots, back tension will take at least a year to get good at. that's probably 10,000 shots worth at least.

have you tried a "back tension release" ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back tension is a very very very hard thing to master, so it's not surprising that most people shoot better by pulling the trigger consciously (what we usually call "punching" the trigger)

over the course of a few years you'll eventually find what works best for you. 100% of the world's best archers use some form of back tension, but keep in mind they've been shooting for a good decade at least.

you mentioned a good hundred shots, back tension will take at least a year to get good at. that's probably 10,000 shots worth at least.

have you tried a "back tension release" ?
Interesting comment "consciously"." Actualluy to clarify i do see why its important to not know when you are going to release. So i have practiced the "unconscious" trigger squeeze if you will. Dont ask me to explain this becuase i dont think i can. but i dont punch it. I guess its more of a arm release, becuase my finger is locked on the trigger. Hell i dont know, but it works and it works dam good.

Actually, i said hundreds of shots. probably close too 500. but im sure it take as much as you mentioned to master it. And no i havent tried a back tension release. I dont have the funds to try every method, so i make what i have work. thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Interesting comment "consciously"." Actualluy to clarify i do see why its important to not know when you are going to release. So i have practiced the "unconscious" trigger squeeze if you will. Dont ask me to explain this becuase i dont think i can. but i dont punch it. I guess its more of a arm release, becuase my finger is locked on the trigger. Hell i dont know, but it works and it works dam good.

Actually, i said hundreds of shots. probably close too 500. but im sure it take as much as you mentioned to master it. And no i havent tried a back tension release. I dont have the funds to try every method, so i make what i have work. thanks for the feedback!

you can go to a local shop and try a back tension release. they're fairly common, and a lot of compound archers use them to train with.

And i kinda know what you mean when you say unconscious trigger squeeze. i have a friend who does exactly what you do, and she's pretty accurate as well. it all depends on how accurate you intend to be

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
I think its best when you start to take up archery is to start off shooting fingers to get the whole form down to use baack tension then move to a release.....that just my opinion...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fingers on a compound bow?
yup. Most compound bows are too short nowadays to comfortably use fingers. But the taller ones can be shot with fingers. They're much more stable than the shorter bows, but the reproducibility of releases more than makes up for that

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Some people use that method and it works for them. It's not punching either, it's a slow squeeze. It will take more than 500 shots to master back tension. I shoot a trigger release using back tension. It took me some time to master, but it's much better than squeezing the trigger for me. For myself and others I have talked to it took a good month or more to master shooting about 500 or more arrows per week.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I'd suggest looking in the classifieds for an inexpensive back tension release. There's no better way to learn the technique. Truth is, nearly all top trigger release shooters shoot back tension releases on a regular basis, as a training aid if nothing else. It's nearly impossible to learn it with an index trigger alone, but easy to transfer the technique to a trigger after learning it. And if you're using a light trigger with any creep before it breaks I can guarantee that you're NOT actually using back tension to set it off.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'd suggest looking in the classifieds for an inexpensive back tension release. There's no better way to learn the technique. Truth is, nearly all top trigger release shooters shoot back tension releases on a regular basis, as a training aid if nothing else. It's nearly impossible to learn it with an index trigger alone, but easy to transfer the technique to a trigger after learning it. And if you're using a light trigger with any creep before it breaks I can guarantee that you're NOT actually using back tension to set it off.

mhmm. now there's 2 types of back tension releases: Rotary and Tension (and Trigger makes up the total 3 types of releases)

it'll be easiest to use a Tension release, and possibly try out a Rotary release (which takes a while to get used to). Basically a tension release is what it sounds like, it's triggered by how much tension is on it and then releases the string. In terms of back tension, it means you have to pull a certain amount (ideally with your back) before it goes off.

http://www.koniaris.com/archery/mrd/

a guide to releases

1 - 12 of 12 Posts