Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you set arrow center shot?

49597 Views 111 Replies 58 Participants Last post by  Seth234
I have a 2006 BowTech Allegiance and I would like to know how to set the arrow-center shot correctly. My arrow rest allen head screw wasn't tight enough and the left to right adjustment changed on me at a 3-D shoot this weekend. My BowTech owners manual doesn't tell about how to set it either. Could someone please help me. :confused:
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,155 Posts
the easiest thing to start out with is mount the rest with an arrow on it, and then center it on the arrow shelf, and look from behind the bow, making the string in the very center and see if the arrow is on the string, then shoot it and see if it is left or right and fine tune it from there

· Registered
2,083 Posts
the easiest thing to start out with is mount the rest with an arrow on it, and then center it on the arrow shelf, and look from behind the bow, making the string in the very center and see if the arrow is on the string, then shoot it and see if it is left or right and fine tune it from there
Yeah I usually hold the bow in front of me and make sure the string runs center of the limbs, grip, and straight down the nocked arrow.

I do walkback tuning after that to about 40-50 yds.

After that, you should be good to go. :thumbs_up

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Take a piece of masking tape and put it on the inside of the top limb just above the limb pocket. Make a mark on the tape the same distance from the edge of the limb as your string. Mine is about 9/16". Then you can put an arrow on and look down it from behind to see if the string, mark and arrow all line up.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
Are you saying that you had your bow set and tuned, and as a set screw came loose the rest moved? Man, this is so easy. If the bow was tuned and sighted in then all you do is shoot the bow and move your rest to where the sight is aiming. Try 20 yards first, adjusting for the bullseye; then 30 yards and so on for more fine tuning.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
Are you saying that you had your bow set and tuned, and as a set screw came loose the rest moved? Man, this is so easy. If the bow was tuned and sighted in then all you do is shoot the bow and move your rest to where the sight is aiming. Try 20 yards first, adjusting for the bullseye; then 30 yards and so on for more fine tuning.
I want to be specific. Don't move the sight or pins. Move the rest to match the sight setting.

· bowaholic
1,964 Posts
Walk back is the easiest way I have seen to get center shot. Just start off by looking from behind and get the string in the center of the limbs and riser and put the arrow so it lines up with the string, then do walk back tuning.

· Registered
8,093 Posts
Definatley walk back.

If you want to be closer to begin with take a bow square, hold the extension against the riser, with the T portion horizontal mark the center of the arrow with a marker.

Flip the square to the other side of the bow, if the arrow is centered on the mark you have it square.

If its not move your rest so it is, and repeat till the mark on both sides is the same. therefore the arrow is going parallel to the riser and is at "centershot"

then do your walkback tune, its required.

· Registered
183 Posts
I also moved the sight pin left and right, so I have to start all over again with setting up my arrow rest. How do you start setting up center shot?
Here's something I've done in the past. Take a wire hanger, cut and bend it into an L shape. Find a flat spot on your riser. I used the area where the sights attach. With an arrow nocked, press the long leg of the hanger against the riser in that spot. Lay the short leg of the hanger on top of the arrow at the nock an mark the hanger with a sharpie or something that you are able to see. You have to transfer the mark to the oppodite side of the hanger. Now turn the hangar around and press the long leg of the hanger against the riser in that spot. Lay the short leg of the hanger on top of the arrow and adjust your rest so your arrow is under the mark. That is your starting point. Then you can paper tune or walk back tune (your preference). Hope this helps. :darkbeer:

p.s. I've since bought a E Z Eye laser. :wink:

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
Definatley walk back.

If you want to be closer to begin with take a bow square, hold the extension against the riser, with the T portion horizontal mark the center of the arrow with a marker.

Flip the square to the other side of the bow, if the arrow is centered on the mark you have it square.

If its not move your rest so it is, and repeat till the mark on both sides is the same. therefore the arrow is going parallel to the riser and is at "centershot"

then do your walkback tune, its required.
Walk back tuning to set the arrow rest position (centershot)

AND then,

set the sight windage (horizontal position of your pins or lens)...

Hang a weighted string from a nail on a target.

Stick a round sticker on the target face so that the string splits the sticker. Use your existing 20-yd pin, step back 20-yards from the target and fire at the sticker.

Don't worry about where the arrow hits.

Walk straight back to 30 yds, and using the same 20-yd pin setting,
fire an arrow at the sticker.

Repeat at 35 yds and at 40 yds, using the 20-yd pin and firing at the sticker.

If your arrows look like this pattern " / " or “\”,
then pick a direction and move your arrow rest 1/16th inch.

If the pattern gets straighter (more vertical), then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction.

If the pattern gets more crooked, then adjust in the other direction.

Keep firing arrows and keep adjusting the arrow rest position until you get a vertical pattern of arrows.

Eventually, your arrows will hit in the target is a straight up and down line like this " | ".

LOCK down the arrow rest setting. Your centershot is perfect.

But, your vertical pattern of arrows may not be hitting the string.

The vertical pattern of arrows may be on one side of the string.
Let’s say the arrows are say 6-inches to the left of the weighted string.

Pick a direction to adjust your sight ring windage. Adjust the sight ring windage 1/16th of an inch. Repeat the test. Fire arrows at least 3 distances, and see if the vertical pattern of arrows gets closer to the string.

If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting closer to the string, then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction. If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting farther away, then adjust in the other direction.

Eventually, you will have a vertical pattern of arrows right on top of the string.

Lock down the windage and lock down the arrow rest. Windage and center shot are now perfect.

· Registered
47 Posts
centre shot

This is a variation on "nuts" and others. I have a clear piece of perspex about 8" long on which I have scribed lines parallel to on edge. Set an arrow on the bow- if using a drop away rise the rest - place perspex against bow window on top of arrow and match one of teh scribed lines with the arrow . Adjust until line is straight with arrow.
With walk back which seems to be the favourite method the longer the distances shot over the greater the accuracy unfortunately it is only possible to shoot over say 20yds before the arrow drops off target. To get the greatest distance I rely on Accurate Sights or some other program. With these u will notice that the sight setting at around 5yds is the same as the sight setting for around 50yds (Bowtech 57# 297grn ACE) Set teh sight for 5yds and shoot at a small dot when consistantly hitting. Move back to 50(?)yds with no alteration to sight shoot again and mopve rest L or R until arrow hitting target centre

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.