Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm having second thoughts on using Slick Tricks again this year.
Granted, they fly good, WHEN you get them set up right, but that's just my issue I am about to explain: Setting them up right!

Anyhow, I've always been taught, to spin test a broadhead, and that is by using an arrow straightener, with a dial indicator up top, to make sure the head spins TRUE, and IN LINE with the arrow shaft.
However, the ONLY issue that has to ALSO be overcome, with a Slick Trick, is the dang washer that Gary supplies, which holds the blades in place.
This dang washer, is NOT a good tight fit onto the broadhead ferrule, therefore, it has a little lateral play on the ferrule.
This "lateral play" of the steel washer, creates wobble, and makes the entire head/arrow combo wobble, when spun.
Gary recommends you adjust the washer, and play around with it, until you get little or no wobble, and that's what I've always attempted to do.
HOwever, this is not ALWAYS possible, as I have found out over the last few years, using these heads.

Also, once I get a broadhead spin tested on a shaft, IF I want to then shoot it into a foam taget, to test it, I THEN have to take the head BACK OFF the shaft for blade sharpening, which then makes me LOSE MY BROADHEAD TUNE. Therefore, I then have to put in new blades, retune (spin check) the head, and then I begin to try and remove the wobble again.
This process can get to be a REAL pain, and I even got to the point last year, where I just simply would NOT test shoot my heads before hunting.
I would simply tune (spin test) a SLick Trick tipped arrow, and then attempt to get the wobble out, and then call it good and hunt with it. Sometimes I still had wobble, sometimes I did not.
I am wondering what YOU guys do with your SLick Tricks, before you take them hunting.

Just to let everyone know, I fully realize this is not JUST a Slick Trick issue, so I'm not picking on Gary or anything like that. Many other heads are like this, and I'm wondering what everyone does to deal with setting up their heads, and being sure they are going to perform???
Thanks for your experiences guys..

·
Registered
639 Posts
To be honest i have never had any problems with my slick tricks flying good. I put them on spin test and go shoot. Not one problem with them at all for me. I have shot them from 10-60yrds And they fly straight and true for me..

·
Registered
567 Posts
same here,just today I screwed on 3 85s and went out and shot one at 30,40,50 just for fun,ended up with one ruined arrow and another missing a blazer and all i did was screw them on tight

jared

·
Registered
427 Posts
RE: Tuning ST's

I don't. If the bow is tuned, I just screw them on and go hunting. I do do a couple of test fires to make sure they fly consistent, but they always do.:)

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Well Paul we might be in the minority here but I had the same issues as you do with the washers. In a fairness I got the heads when they first came out and have not messed with them since. Folks tell me they have done something to the farrule but after messing with them for a few weeks I went to another head. I think they are a good product but I do agree you have to mess around with the washer a bit, at least on the old ones you did. PS my bow is tuned and just about every broadhead I test flys good.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I take a ferrule cleanup tool that I bought a few years ago, made by montec
works like a hand lathe to put the end of the ferrule square and flat.
then just screw in the slick tricks and never have had a problem.
well just one problem, getting more of them.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hmm

When I first tried em a year ago I had trouble getting them to fit on my axis shafts without having loose blades. After some help from Gary and recognizing it was ME I have not had trouble. I have only done "observational" spint testing - IE spin and look for obvious wobble. I dont get any and they go where my FP's do.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have about 10 older slick tricks (they have been through deer or targets,etc...) I use for practice I will shoot them intermidently (sp) with my field points all year. I have certain arrows that I just use for hunting (the straightest ACCs that I have), before the season I will shoot my "huning arrows" with the older slick tricks and make sure they fly fine. I will then put the new broadheads on and spin them and make sure they spin fine and I am ready. I also must say I have older slick tricks on older ACCs that do not spin perfectly but they fly with my F.P. out to 40 yards. I also have never had much of a problem getting the slick tricks to spin correctly. When I have had an issue with wobble I have usually found it to be the arrow or the insert. Any way this my method....hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Slick Tricks

I have also never had a problem with loose blades or wobbling with my ST's.
Paul, when you open a package of new blades, take a new ferrule or the actual arrows you hunt with and an insert that you use. Screw the blank ferrule into insert to make sure it goes in all the way. Sometimes alittle glue gets into the bottom of the insert when you glue them in, thus impeding full seating of the broadhead. That has been a problem with alot of people who say their blades are loose. I have several older ST heads that I practice with yearly. I screw new heads onto my hunting arrows, spin them by hand and hunt. Also make sure your inserts are deep/long enough to accomadate the ferrules.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
algdog said:
I take a ferrule cleanup tool that I bought a few years ago, made by montec
works like a hand lathe to put the end of the ferrule square and flat.
then just screw in the slick tricks and never have had a problem.
well just one problem, getting more of them.

This particular tool, my friend, would be called a G5 "A.S.D." (Arrow Squaring Device)
Very nice design, and I use one myself....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts