Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using one of those handheld type sharpeners with the V in the center and am not happy. I have also used a stone but think it may be too coarse as I can see roughness on the edge of the head. What type of stone and grit do you use if you use a stone and do you use a finer stone after a coarse one as a final polish. Also how do you test your broadheads after to assure they are up to your expectations, other than shaving hair, as I am not about to try to shave hair from my legs or any other part of my body, I know my luck lol.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I've used a Lansky for years to touch up heads:)

If the blade is already pretty sharp I use the extra fine for polishing and then the leather treatment. See Jerry's Sticky on broadhead sharpening. Good Stuff:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wish that I could do the leather deal. I tried it but I dulled the crap out of my blades. I guess I am not a real smart guy.:confused:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I just set up a stropping board with the Yellowstone compound, and the blades don't feel that sharp to run my finger over them, but they will shave the hair off my arm like there was no tomorrow. I guess my skin is just too calloused. It really takes all the rough edges off. They are as smooth as a baby's b***. (Don't want to offend anyone.)

Mike

·
Registered
933 Posts
i run each blade over a 2nd cut file 7 or 8 times then do the same on a ******* file. Instead of shaving hair, you could stretch a rubber band between two fingers and see how easily it slices the band.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts