Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what Primos calls do you own/have luck with for big game?

My dad has a Hyper Lip Double that called a bull in (trees put a nice shield between us :angry: ) Then I got the Hyper Single, that sounds pretty good.
Then of course i'll get a few new reeds before each season, one of each for cow talkin or maybe buglin, work better than any other brands i've tried :cool:

Anyone have any luck with the deer calls?

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Primos

Well I dont elk hunt, sadly....
But Primos calls are all I use for deer & turkey hunting....Never had one let me down yet and they all sound great to me. I have 2 or 3 grunt calls of theirs "different models", 2 The CAN, and a bunch of turkey calls from them.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to the Primos sight and looked through the deer trophies and most of them were taken with the can or Ruber Neck...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use the rubberneck for deer hunting,sounds great and seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i have owned several of their calls over the years. i bought a preditor call of theres when i was in high school and killed a couple coyotes and foxes with it. owned a wench duck call, though i disagree that it "wont stick". phat lady, several more preditor calls, owned a couple of cans, rubber neck, and probably 20 or 30 of their turkey calls. they make a great diaphram, and the power crystal has sent several big toms on to meet with their maker.

primos makes a great call.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a true talker for about 3 or 4 years and finally late last season i called a deer in with it.
Sat up over looking an alfalfa flat and along an edge is this BIG deer room along the crick that goes back for about a quarter mile or so.
So there i was with the .308 and the doe piss and the true talker and i figured id set up a scene for a deer :teeth: Started with some young buck grunts then some doe and some young grunts and the whole time i had this scent shield estrus scent goin on strong. I kept it up for a while then on the edge of the deer room i see this little 2 point western count lookin at me. Id have shot it but it was too cute with his wee little rack and it was the first big game animal i called in so i let him go :cool:
I've had deer right out infront of me and i'll blow on that and they'll ignore it for some reason...
So one makes like a long range deer call do they? Because out in the Milk River country on the Montana prairy there is alot of open space and you really need to reach out to them deer...

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Their elk products work. Oh yeah... they work real good.

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
ive got the terminator bugle system, but im probably not gonna use it that much. i think their diaphram mouth calls sound better, but i will use that big ole grunt tube.

got a hoochie mama too, not sold on it exclusively, but i figure if im mouth calling and throw that in i should sound authentic.

i usually use primos calls exclusively, but i also have a cow talk from e.l.k. inc in gardner mt. that has proven itself time and time again over the years.

brad

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they do work Silent!
Yeah two rifle seasons ago my buddy and i were set up and he got on his hoochie and sure enough a bull came in but of course i couldnt see it where i was set up (never fails :mad:) and it was an easy 60 70 yard and my buddy missed him! :mad: I know if id have seen him he'd have dropped! :cry: :wink:
I's going to get their terminator but i think ELK Inc's Power Bugle sounds better, plus I like to support Montana companies like ELK Inc, Trophy Taker and MT Decoys over others if i can :wink:
But when i can i'll use a Primos tripple and a tube, that takes skill :thumbs_up

·
Registered
498 Posts
terminator bugle
hyper lip single and double
Primos sound plate mouth reeds

non primos

carletons estrus whine single
Sarkesian mouth reeds

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have that Hot Lips or that bite cow/calf call? What about the pronghorn call?

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Another thought and not trying to hyjack this thread from primos, but I carry a second bugle with me made by Abe the Elkman I believe. I can get some great chuckling sounds like al arger bull and smaller bull bugles out of it. I really like this bugle. Although it it isnt as loud as the primos so doesnt carry as far. Good for close ranges.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So them cans really work, huh? They look pretty funky but i guess im going to have to get one :tongue: :teeth:

·
DefiantShooter
10,948 Posts
English mostly, but!!!

May be Spanish here soon unless we fix the borders..............LOL!!!

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
AJ008
that pronghorn call works pretty well. lots of fun to be had with one of those things. i like to sneak up on medium sized goats (the ones im not interested in shooting), jumping up in plain sight so they see me, then blowing the challange grunt at them. totally stupifies them. they will stand there forever, and when they go to leave, blow it again....priceless :teeth:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Primos Calls Ihave and use...
Elk: Hot lips double, hyper hot, and a bunch of mouth calls
Deer: The can
Turkey: Mouth calls

1 - 20 of 22 Posts