Archery Talk Forum banner

How do you stay warm?

2074 Views 33 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Lady Artemis
Hi girls :wave: I'm wondering what type of hunting clothing you guys use in the winter months to stay warm. I get cold very easily and so far all I have is cheapo insulated bibs and a jacket from walmart. I don't think that's going to cut it. I had 3 pairs of pants on last week and was still frozen, and it's only fall! Should I bite the bullet this year and buy some fancy gear? Or load up on hand warmers and tough it out until everything goes on sale?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,588 Posts
Get on ebay and look for polyproplene undies, they are military stuff and pretty warm. If you can find the thin ones then you can really layer them up. I use lots of layers till I can't hardly walk. It doesn't get as cold here as it used too. I also have a pair of mickey mouse boots for when it gets real cold. They work wonders, they are also military surplus. Cotton is not the best for staying warm. Try some wools and check out those undies, long johns.

Hope this helps!!

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I have the heater suit (kinda like a camo sleeping bag) others have talked about them on AT so you can look them up. They are really warm and come with these foot warmers that you can wear over your boots if you don't want to wear the whole sleeping bag...just to keep your feet warm.

· Registered
3,590 Posts
This works for me...

Warmer weather hunting I wear underarmor, then a long sleeve camo shirt (because it's cool when I get out there in the morning). And just my camo pants, and hunting boots.

Then for the cooler to cold weather, i start adding layers. I have some of that silver ion (thermal type-at Walmart) that I wear with the layers mentioned above.

REALLY Cold All of the above, then add thick, insulated overalls and the my thick, insulated, hooded jacket. Yes, that's bulky, but I'm warm! Hand warmer thingies.

Now that I'm losing weight, I hope to get new hunting clothes (for ladies) and that are my size. Let me know what you decide to do, I'd be interested in hearing what you chose.

· Registered
66 Posts
I use the poly. also use sweatpant,sweaters and jacket and wool socks or something other than cotton. cause as they say cotton kills.. Our winters get cold so I too dress in layers..and of course good hunting gloves. hope this helps..Stay warm

· Registered
13 Posts
Under Armor is a must. You can buy a cheaper version at Walmart. I had trouble with my feet getting cold so I bought those Artic Shield boot covers and I can tell you they are worth every cent.
As for the heater suit, I have a friend that made a home made one that he swears by.

· Registered
154 Posts
yeah, I wore 3 pairs of pants as well last week and froze! I had the same question. I put hand warmers in my boots which helped a little. I have always heard good things about those boot covers. I should try them! I am looking at getting the polar weight base layer shirt and pants from Cabelas. They have them in womens sizes. Not in camo though, it's so hard to find nice stuff for women hunters!

· Registered
305 Posts
I also have gone to the Army Surplus and bought those military theromals that are brown or green. I think the brown ones are thicker and the green ones are thiner. I love them. And you should be able to pick up the shirt for about $10 and pants for about $15. I also love there green wool gloves. You can also cut the fingers out if you want. I picked them up for $5. I also keep on hand a supply of those ThermalCare HeatWraps neck and shoulder ones. They are oderless and ultra thin and they last 8-12 hrs. I also get 100% wool sweeters from thrift stores.

· Registered
480 Posts
4 words..

under armour cold gear ;)

its proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy and warm :D

· Registered
7 Posts
Staying warm,,,,,,, or cool

Best outfit I have ever bought is the Super Slam elite fleece from Cabela's. You have to decide where your heat loss is. If it is your feet, focus there. If your boots are too tight, your feet will get cold and so will you. Insulation doesn't work if it is compressed. If it is your hands, or your head same goes.

When I am hiking and warm, the first to go is my hat, then my gloves, and unzip my jacket.... You get the idea. Everyone is a little different, so you might have to experiment.

Cotton is fine if there is no moisture. Otherwise, go with synthetic quick dries. They are worth their weight in gold.

Layering gives you the option of adding, subtracting as conditions change. Conditions change if you decide to sit for a while rather than hike as you had previously planned. My buds always say I am dressed too light when we leave the tent in the early near freezing temps in Idaho. An hour or so later when they are carrying their parkas for the rest of the day, I am not carrying extra weight and am feeling fine. I have been doing the same for several years and am willing to accept the consequences of being wrong if I have a reasonable history of what to expect. If you might be in the woods the following night, you better be ready to accept and deal with your decisions.

Good Luck!

· Registered
173 Posts
Under Armor is great! It fits well, and is'nt bulky like thermals, and very comfortable. I got mine at Cabela's.
I use hot hands in my pockets for my hands and use 'em in my boots too.
Always dress in layers. :)

· Registered
8,807 Posts
i just bought my wife an artic shield suit and so far she says it is working great to keep her warm. she gets cold real easy so i hope the artic shield will give her more time on stand this season.
the sportsmans guide has artic shield suits for a pretty good price i got her the pants, coat, hat, and boot insulators for like 175.00

· Registered
433 Posts
Cold Gear

I definitely suggest investing in under armour Cold Gear. Yes, under armour is usually expensive (too expensive) but if you go onto cabelas and go to the bargain cave...there is a mens Cold Gear long sleeve shirt on sale and its AMAZING. I have a medium even though I'm really petite. It will keep you super warm without the bulkyness of layering up. :wink:

· G5 killing machine
4,843 Posts
I only get cold after I wake up lol. Seems like every time I go out hunting and its still dark out I end up falling asleep lol. Which isn't good cause it gets super cold here in NY. You guys every see xmas story? With that little boy that can't move cause hes got so much stuff on. Well that would be me when I'm hunting. I have over sized boots and about 5 pair of socks on. But my feet still get cold. So I spend much of the time walking around then sitting, walking, sitting. But it helps bring my feet back to life til I sit lol. I think thats why I love bow season, its not cold lolol. Lots of good ideas, going to have to check into some of them.

· Registered
140 Posts
Do you recommend going up a size in under armor sizes?

Do you all recomend going up a size. I dont mind tight bottoms, but I want good arm movement when I bowhunt. Besides, I am gettin kind of "round" in the middle these days. :embara:

I wear a large, but I just ordered an XL top. I hope I didnt make a mistake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.