Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you wear your range finder while hunting ??? I'm looking for ideas on how to have my range finder easily accessible while hunting and not get in the way when shooting. I typically keep my range finder in my pocket or backpack and range trees when I first get in the stand. I want to start ranging the animal just before the shot. Any ideas ???

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Been wanting to try one of the tethers. But, I have just been hangin it around my neck, tucked into my jacket to keep it from dangling.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
For me, losing the range finder is the most likely problem.

I bought some 1/8" elastic (think bungie) cord from a sport shop. Then I tied a knot in one end and threaded it through the range finder strap attachment. Then I attach the other end of the cord somewhere on my vest or bino strap.

I took a free broadhead wrench that comes with the Shuttle T-lock heads and bent it to make a clip which I attach to the range finder through the tripod mount screw. Then I clip it to my bino harness.

I can drop it without worrying about losing it.

Ray

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My Nikon came with a neck strap and I bought one of the Nikon self retracting tethers. The neck strap connects to two points on the neoprene cover of the range finder, one front and one back on the bottom side of the range finder. I connect the cable side of the tether to the front end of the cover in the same hole as the one end of the neck strap. I put the neck strap around my neck with the range finder hanging down to just above my belt. I then clip the housing end of the tether to a belt loop. The tether hold tension on the range finder keeping it close to my body. When I pull the range finder up to my eye the tether extends allowing me to raise it up and then as I lower the range finder the tether retracts and holds the range finder down out of the way.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I just keep mine in my HSS Vest in the front right pocket. Right there if I need it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In the chest pocket of my Sitka jacket or vest. Fits perfectly in there.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have mine slung around my neck and under my shoulder, so it hangs under my armpit, with just enough lenght to get it to my eye. That way I can easily get it to range, then just have to drop it and it's out of the way for the shot. If I'm bush-whacking (spot and stalk), I can push it round further so it sits on my back and wont get caught.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i really want one of those Nikon straps that you see the pros on tv wear.... they look really handy. just can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Primos bow vest

Love the Nikon 550 and the retractable cord, won’t leave it in the woods, hooked to my Primos bow vest that has a pocket designed for the range finder.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This has been an issue for me for years and I have yet to find the perfect answer. On stand, it is usually in the pocket in front of me either in my ground blind or my climber's camo cover. When hiking in, I either have it in a waist high pocket on my pack but the access is still not as convenient as I like so I often hang it around my neck and tuck it through my binocular harness strap. The problem with that is that it ends to get warm from body heat and fog up as soon as I need to use it. I would like to try a pouch that would attach to my bino harness if I could find one...

·
Registered
549 Posts
i hang mine around my neck on the string that came with it. its not handy by any means. I would also like to be able to range the deer at the last minute but am finding that it is alot of extra movement that a 15 foot ladder stand in a fairly clear spot can't have.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i really want one of those Nikon straps that you see the pros on tv wear.... they look really handy. just can't seem to find one.
I saw them at Cabelas recently. I was gonna pick one up when I saw them then I noticed they were $25. I passed on that item.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have mine slung around my neck and under my shoulder, so it hangs under my armpit, with just enough lenght to get it to my eye. That way I can easily get it to range, then just have to drop it and it's out of the way for the shot. If I'm bush-whacking (spot and stalk), I can push it round further so it sits on my back and wont get caught.
Same here

·
Prairie Ghost
1,950 Posts
I use the neck strap, tie a loop in it at the end just big enough to slip the rangefinder through and loop it around my belt (or beltloop) and then stick it in my pant pocket. The tether is just long enough to reach my face and I can slip it down slowly with the string and let it hang by my side when I need to let it go, or just slip it in a pocket.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I bought one of the Nikon retractable tethers and returned it. It made some noise when the cord was being drawn out and put away.

Instead I bought a neoprene cover for the rangefinder and it had a shoulder strap. I shoot lefty so the strap goes over my right shoulder and the rangefinder sits near my belt on the left side. To range things I just lift it up from my hip to my eye with no noise. It is also out of the way when I shoot and walk around.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In my pocket

Keep it in the pocket of my primos vest. I'll range items that stand out when I get in the tree and then put it back in my pocket.

·
stay calm pick a spot
3,110 Posts
in a tree i hang it close by stalking in my pocket usually.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts