Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting bows for the last 30 or so years. I have never played with or even seen a lens on a bow sight - (In Person). I'm getting older and my eyesight is not what it used to be. Would a lens help me shoot/see the target and my pins better. Can someone explain to me how they work, or explain their experience with lenses. Thanks in advance for the hellp

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
ttt, because I'm in my mid-sixties. I've had a couple of corneal abrasions on my shooting eye, one rather severe. When I alternately cover my eyes I can tell that there's a difference in the clarity and naturally, my shooting eye is the worst of the two. Any input?

·
Registered
18,998 Posts
Lens has magnification (2,3,4 5, or 8 power) & depending on your sighting problem weather it is the target that needs clearing up or your sight pins you may also need a clarifier or a varifier in your peep. clarifier usually clears the target & varifier clears your pin. I am 71 & I use a 6 power tru-spot lens & a yellow #1 clarifier, with this combination I can see the X at almost any distance & depending on the peep size determines what amount of the spot I can see & I just look at the X like a peep sight on a rifle. This has helped to clear my sight picture & also has helped with TP as I am not trying to hold the pin on the X & at the same time the pin ends up covering the X &
have problems holding on the X with the pin. If I can answer any more questions you have please send me a PM with your questions as I have only been playing with this silly game for 57 years.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Would a clarifier or a varifier be only used in conjunction with a lens?

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
A clarifier is usually only used with a lense but a verifier can be used without one if you are having a problem seeing your pins or if they are blurry.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
60x gave you a good link to go read.

To expand on what he wrote a bit further, to further complicate things would be that not all lenses are equal. You've got low quality lenses and high quality lenses. With a lower end 4x lens, you may have no choice but to go to a clarifier to clear the target image up. Whereas a higher quality 4x lens might be clear enough that you can bypass using a clarifier.

This is where I currently am trying to find a balance. I find myself buying/trying lenses of different makers...while trying to find what power lens I shoot best with at the same time. I shoot 3D and not indoor. I started with a 4x lens...low quality. Then went to a better quality lens...and still had to use a clarifier to get a somewhat clear image of the target. I then decided to try a lower power lens and see if I could bypass the clarifier all together. My problem is that I can see BETTER without a lens than I can with one...just because I haven't found a good clear one yet. I'm contemplating trying one in a 6x just to try and see if I can see more target detail...right now with a 3x and 4x lens, I am pretty much better off without a lens at all. They don't help me see anything on the targets.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
60x gave you a good link to go read.

To expand on what he wrote a bit further, to further complicate things would be that not all lenses are equal. You've got low quality lenses and high quality lenses. With a lower end 4x lens, you may have no choice but to go to a clarifier to clear the target image up. Whereas a higher quality 4x lens might be clear enough that you can bypass using a clarifier.

This is where I currently am trying to find a balance. I find myself buying/trying lenses of different makers...while trying to find what power lens I shoot best with at the same time. I shoot 3D and not indoor. I started with a 4x lens...low quality. Then went to a better quality lens...and still had to use a clarifier to get a somewhat clear image of the target. I then decided to try a lower power lens and see if I could bypass the clarifier all together. My problem is that I can see BETTER without a lens than I can with one...just because I haven't found a good clear one yet. I'm contemplating trying one in a 6x just to try and see if I can see more target detail...right now with a 3x and 4x lens, I am pretty much better off without a lens at all. They don't help me see anything on the targets.
You should try a Brian's Custom Lense, a buddy of mine uses his center drilled .010 green fiber 4 power. It is the clearest brightest lense I have ever seen you don't need a clarifier and the target is a clear as can be. It's not a high dollar lense like some are but don't let the price fool you it's as good as they get.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
You should try a Brian's Custom Lense, a buddy of mine uses his center drilled .010 green fiber 4 power. It is the clearest brightest lense I have ever seen you don't need a clarifier and the target is a clear as can be. It's not a high dollar lense like some are but don't let the price fool you it's as good as they get.
Talk about irony...I actually ordered one earlier this afternoon. :) Of course I've not got it yet but I can't wait to get it and see what it brings to the table. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Thus far, I have had Feather Vision 4x, a Zeiss 4x, and Squeekie's 4x lens from here on A-T. Of those...Squeekie's is by far the clearest but still not clear enough for me to NOT need a clarifier. I bounce back and forth between a #1 and #2 clarifier to see which one gives the sharpest target image. The #2 seems to be the clearer target BUT at the cost of not being able to see the pin as great.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
i bought a 4x lens and it makes my target look dull and cloudily. sounds like i could use a clarifier?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,998 Posts
Crow Terminator,

Try different size apertures on the yellow #1 clarifier & see if that makes a difference, I ended up going smaller & really cleared it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts