Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first week. My form is, well...forming. Thanks for all the good advice.

When I release well I can feel it and it seems the arrow wobbles less. I'm not sure if some of my laterally deviant shots are from crappy release.

I bought a Damascus glove ($13). soft, thin leather. I had to cut the fingertips off, I felt the seam was stinking way out like fingernails. Felt better, but I think this floppy glove is affecting my shot.
Does a more quality, heavier, smoother glove help smooth the release?

I know as my hand gets stronger my release will get smoother.

Glovin' it,
Ed

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I use a Cavalier finger tab. Black Widow makes a good and very affordable tab. A tab gives me a cleaner release.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Everybody is different.. I truly feel that a tab is probably smoother (look at your Olympic shooters)..that being said I use a glove for hunting, I use a dura-glove from 3Rivers and it has been a good one. When it wears out I'll get another. JMO

·
Registered
20,294 Posts
Ed -

Technically, a poor (slow or "plucky") release will make an arrow act weak, ie impact right of enter for a right handed shooter.

Whether a glove will do that with a clean release is debatable, but it's typically easier to get a clean release with a GOOD tab.

The problems with a glove are several. Regardless of how soft and conforming it is, it's like putting a cylinder around your fingers. As you approach a deep hook, they are going to kink. A thicker glove will, sooner or later, develop a crease the the string has to jump out of. GOOD tabs don't do that.

Short answer, it is certainly possible to get a decent release with a glove, it's just easier with a GOOD tab.

I know as my hand gets stronger my release will get smoother.
Nope. We all sorta think that, but the trick to a good release is very simply - don't get in the way. The release is passive and the more work you do, the worse it gets.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
A common mistake with archery gloves is that the person purchases a glove that is too large or fits just right. The problem is, the glove will stretch fairly quickly and become too loose and tend to bunch.

Purchase your glove smaller than what is your fit, soak the glove in warm water, put the glove on and wear it until it is dry. As it is drying, pull on it so that your fingers are to the tips of the glove.

When thoroughly dry, lightly work in a small amount of "Sno-Seal" to keep the glove supple and to help protect against the abrasive action of the string.

Last; shooting gloves do not last forever.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What are some good tabs that you would recommend Viper?

Do you recommend different thicknesses of tabs for different draw weights?

In the 70's & 80's I used a self-made tab of thick cordovan leather, much like the Super Tab sold by Alaska Bowhunting.

Since getting back into "Traditional" archery, I am using the Tred Barta glove and the Berlin Deerskin glove from 3Rivers. While my form is still "evolving" too, I just don't like the feel as well as what I remembered I got from my selftab...

·
Registered
20,294 Posts
M -

For target work, the Cavalier Elite is still pretty much the standard, although some folks, myself included, had to modify the back plate for side of face anchors. You can get pretty fancy with tabs these days, just not sure there's any real benefit (of the higher priced stuff) for most of us.

For heavier hunting weight bows, I'm still a fan of the SAM (Super Archery Mitt). Great protection and a super release, but make take a little "break-in" time.

For more casual/general shooting something simple like the Bateman tab is a decent choice.

Thickness is a personal call and thicker isn't always better (Going too thick can make the string position a little nebulous and results to "unexplained" lefts and rights - don't ask me how I know that...) Always figured the least that provided adequate protection was the way to go.

The only time I shot with a glove was in conjunction with a tab on heavy bows BEFORE the SAM came out. Yes, I was on of the original testers and no, I don't get any kickbacks from it. (The guys who invented it sold the patent to Martin in the 90's.)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love the Saunders fab tab. I add a leather layer to it, for my heavy bows. I have had the same two tabs for a long time, they really last, are slick, are can't pinch, work the same if wet, cheap. I liked that Lan tab, but I don't know if anyone makes one like it still. I got to shoot someone else's but never got around to owning one.

This assumes split release.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts