Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 2712s more prone to bending?

I was thinking of trying them, but I'm just concerned about the thin walls. I've been shooting 2314s and 2613s, and occasionally I find a little wobble in one when checking them on the spinner. Should I expect more trouble with the 27s?

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
With a block or layered foam target you should be ok. Only time I have had any trouble with them is if you get a soft spot on a firm target. They want to kick funny when the hit and it was bending right at the end of the shaft. Great arrow they shot and tuned much better then my 2613's did out of the same set-up.

PS - Try the 300gr point they seem really heavy but shoot great compared too the 150Gr's.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great arrow they shot and tuned much better then my 2613's did out of the same set-up.
That's what I've read. I've got the 2613s working extremely well with 260gr tips, so I was considering going with the 275gr tips in the 27s. I'm just concerned about bending one mid-tournament and not realizing it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's what I've read. I've got the 2613s working extremely well with 260gr tips, so I was considering going with the 275gr tips in the 27s. I'm just concerned about bending one mid-tournament and not realizing it.
I did that last year during the state tournment luckly I noticed it during warm ups. Out of all the time's I have shot them only once have I had one bend. If your gentle with them they will reward you with X's.;)

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I had 5 in my quiver as I walked by some block targets in a tight spot. The nocks caught one of the block targets and ruined 3 of them. bad night of shooting with bent shafts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Weapons Grade Spot Remover" :chortle: Thats a good one.
Better believe it! :)

BTW: I hear you have an incredible 3D league there at Bwana - steel deer, tree obstacles, moving targets, video. I was telling my indoor 3d team about it - if you were closer, we'd definitely be planning a road trip.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I've got thousands of shots through my 2712's and they are fine, just don't shoot at the same spot and be sure to pull them out straight.

Lien2

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
No problems here. They shoot great for a huge telephone pole like shaft!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Better believe it! :)

BTW: I hear you have an incredible 3D league there at Bwana - steel deer, tree obstacles, moving targets, video. I was telling my indoor 3d team about it - if you were closer, we'd definitely be planning a road trip.
Why thank you. We do have a little fun with them. Picked up a MotoShot system this year that should add to the fun. Stop by any time your in town.:teeth:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
With a block or layered foam target you should be ok. Only time I have had any trouble with them is if you get a soft spot on a firm target. They want to kick funny when the hit and it was bending right at the end of the shaft. Great arrow they shot and tuned much better then my 2613's did out of the same set-up.

PS - Try the 300gr point they seem really heavy but shoot great compared too the 150Gr's.:thumbs_up
Bwannaworker,

Can you post up your setup what length you are shooting the 2712s at poundage/draw length/bow model possibly?

As i have been messing with the 2712s with 150 and 300 grain points and just cannot find that magic spot yet for forgiveness as i have with my 2613s.

Or anyone for that matter that is shooting the 2712s if you could post up what your setup is along with the rest that you are using possibly?

·
Registered
350 Posts
32" shaft, 300Gr point, 3 fletched 4" feathers, limbdriver rest on a Pse MoneyMaker at 54# 28" DL. Hope this helps.

I also have a customer that is shooting the 1 cam moneymaker with a lizard tounge spring rest. He had good luck with cutting the shafts about 1/2 past the rest and using 200Gr pts.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
32" shaft, 300Gr point, 3 fletched 4" feathers, limbdriver rest on a Pse MoneyMaker at 54# 28" DL. Hope this helps.

I also have a customer that is shooting the 1 cam moneymaker with a lizard tounge spring rest. He had good luck with cutting the shafts about 1/2 past the rest and using 200Gr pts.
Thank you yes it does help, as I have a Martin Scepter 4 at 29 1/2" draw 57lbs, using a Pro Tuner Rest, I had the 2712s some at 33 1/2" and some at 32" both weren't pretty with the 300 grain tips but with the 150s they got alot better but still not like my 2613s shoot. So i was thinking of cutting 1 or 2 down to the 31" length to see what happens next.

But thank you for posting that as it does help me out

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Jon, Jon, Jon...I can't believe you didn't ask me. I got mine cut down to about 3/4" past the rest(29 3/8" end of knock to end of shaft) using Pinpoints(250gr). My DL is about 28 1/2-29". Now, I did find out PSAA adopted a new aroow size limit, which are 26's, so 27's and states are out. I'm gonna call Easton and get some 2612's, just for them and I'm also gonna try 2512's. The rest of the shoots(PD,LAS,WAF,NFAA) I'll stick with my 27's.Now I'm really looking for that ultra elite riser so I can have 2 indoor bows with different set ups, plus FITA is a different ballgame.
PS...just watch them butts at states....they break 27 shafts real easy...I know first hand, but then again we will not be using them there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for mentioning about the PSAA diameter restriction - do you know when this goes into effect?

I'm going to Redding's x-mas invitational and would have shot 27s ( if I decide to go with them, that is )

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
All that I heard it was voted on for next year, so I would imagine 27's are ok at Reading. That's what I'll be shooting there. After 1/1, then I'll switch to 26's. Our league goes by PSAA rules, so I'll have to shoot them it that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have bent ONE 2712. This was a solid 90 degree impact with a steel post due to a release missfire. It barely bent and did NOT shove the 300 grain tip into the shaft.

Toughest freakin aluminum arrow I have ever shot. Dont worry about that 12 wall. Get some shoot them and be happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts