Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how early you hang your stands before season if your hunting on private land and you can't keep them up all year.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
sackyy said:
Just wondering how early you hang your stands before season if your hunting on private land and you can't keep them up all year.
Usually a minute or two after I pick the tree I'm going to sit in. I don't use anything but climbers anymore...two many stolen stands. We have cleaned out several dozen trees on the public land we hunt...so set up goes pretty quickly.

I'd say when you hang non-climbers depends on the property and the liklihood that they'll stay where you put 'em until you're ready to hunt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
dang forgot to take them down last season hehehehe....

im primarily a ground hunter when i do climb a tree ill get there about 1.5 hours befor sun rise. it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get the stand set. it takes me another 15-20 minutes to calm my nerves down. gives me an hour to nap before mr. buck shows up...

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I try to leave my stands up and only take them down to make sure they are good to use the next year.
matt

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hang them now. You can cut your shooting lanes and everything will be back to normal by the time you hunt it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i put mine up last month (2 months before season)---since i am on public land, i hang my stand and then take down the ladder---the ladder i put up the day before season begins. lets face it though --taking measures to prevent theft only keeps the honest people honest the other idiots will find a way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i put mine up 4 weeks before the season starts--i hunt public land that has a lot of people walking the trails,horses and boyscouts hicking so i think the deer are somewhat used to people being around..but i do try and minimize the scent that i leave off the trails ;)

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've got all my stands out already and don't plan on going anywhere near them until I'm ready to hunt them. I try to locate most stands in the post season and mark the locations and then I return in the summer to hang them. Any other stand I will hang after this point, I will hunt them the day they are hung.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Atleast 1 month before the season starts.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
hung two last week, thats all that I put up. The rest are trees that I use with the climber. I go around and pick a spot just like I was going to hand a stand. climb it, to the the height I will be hunting and start trimming around. I have my hunting buddy do the trimming closer to the ground while I pretend that I'm drawing.
I did 5 trees today and still have alot more to do, this is soooo much nicer having a climber.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will have all of my stands out by end of Aug. That will leave the woods 1 month to get used to my stands. Now, I will not hunt two of my stands until the peak of the rut. But, all of my stands will be up and shooting lanes will be cut, by end of Aug.-----Season opens up Oct. 1

·
Registered
332 Posts
i use a tree suit mostly, so i wear my stand in and out of the woods. i try to prep my trees about a month or so before the season opener.

·
Registered
73 Posts
most stands stay up all year, just checked out any time now, new stands are hung any time of the year, I like to hang them in the winter, easier access , NO BUGS, and I know the basic travel routes from the previous season. Have 3 going out this weekend also

·
Registered
468 Posts
as early as poss. i mean its nto gonna hurt to leave them up an extra month..unless you are worried about theft..but if i was worried bout theft i wouldnt hang em n that area any tiem of the year..i already built one new treestand n im goin to go hang some more sometime soon..

chase

1 - 18 of 18 Posts