Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a month until archery season starts up here and I'm having a hard time deciding how I want to set up for opening day. I was wondering how successful everyone who has put together a ground blind has been? It would be set up around a bunch of oak tree's that are dropping acorns and not far from a swamp.

·
Registered
77 Posts
our archery season in KY opened this weekend. where i hunt there is alot of field and not as much timber. and where there is timber you have to stay out in the evening or you will bust deer going in. i bought a ground blind to try out in hopes it would lengthen my lists of spot opportunities. i was gladly surprised because my buddy got a shot opening day on an almost bare fencerow and i had three two year olds at 20 yards all mornin today. put some brush on these blinds and they are deadly. just make sure to brush them in with its surrounding and you have a deadly combination.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an actual blind, I was talking about setting one up with some blow downs and some branches to give some extra cover. thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
What he said and for me it works out better. In a tree looking at the ground, it is sometimes real hard to see a deer coming. From a blind they tend to "sky" themselves and I can see them coming from further away.

Course I hae taken a few where I was pretty drained before I even pulled the bow back from such a long bout of adrenaline.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he said and for me it works out better. In a tree looking at the ground, it is sometimes real hard to see a deer coming. From a blind they tend to "sky" themselves and I can see them coming from further away.

Course I hae taken a few where I was pretty drained before I even pulled the bow back from such a long bout of adrenaline.
thanks for the feedback, i'm leaning towards blind hunting more and more

·
Registered
77 Posts
oh i see. im sorry i should have read it again. i have tried making blinds before and had marginal success with it. if its mkade to where it covers you good im sure it would work fine. i have just had more trouble with deer catchin my wind when im the ground except when in a pop up because i guess they help contain alot of scent. but if you play the wind right im sure you would whack one without a huge problem. i sure hope so! goodluck!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh i see. im sorry i should have read it again. i have tried making blinds before and had marginal success with it. if its mkade to where it covers you good im sure it would work fine. i have just had more trouble with deer catchin my wind when im the ground except when in a pop up because i guess they help contain alot of scent. but if you play the wind right im sure you would whack one without a huge problem. i sure hope so! goodluck!
No worries, and the only issue I have with my pop up blind is that when I draw my arm hits the back of the blind, so I'd have to upzip the back window...which I think would expose myself a little bit to the deer once they pin point where the calls are coming from with the sunlight coming through from behind me

·
Registered
24,900 Posts
if you brush it in well it should work. i hunted out of one last season (or the season before cant remember) and we put in on the edge of a corn field a few rows back into the corn and made a few lanes. i had a deer walk right into my blind. i think we both jumped pretty good haha

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you brush it in well it should work. i hunted out of one last season (or the season before cant remember) and we put in on the edge of a corn field a few rows back into the corn and made a few lanes. i had a deer walk right into my blind. i think we both jumped pretty good haha
didn't even have to nock an arrow :wink: it's well placed, there's runs all around it and white oaks and red oaks everywhere, i think it would be a pretty good set up

·
Back down to ground level
16,089 Posts
Got back to ground blind hunting last year. Had doe at 5yds and this guy came to 18yds...
The land I'm hunting has a lot of good spots where I can get a little elevated and hidden in the rock outcrops.
It's a challenging, exciting, and rewarding way to hunt.

Attachments

·
Recreational Bowhunter
1,044 Posts
Treestand versus Ground Blind

I would try both and just see what you like. To me, if the weather is nice I would way rather be up in a tree looking around and enjoying stuff, I go stir crazy in ground blinds. If it is rainy/snowy or otherwise nasty out, I like to hole up in a ground blind. You must be very careful with scent control if you blind hunt where in a tree you can get away with a lot more scent-wise if you are 18-20 feet up.

zenworks911

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone for the tips

1 - 13 of 13 Posts