Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
those that own hunting land, how far did you go to own the land. Does anyone live in a dumpy little house (we're talking less than 1000 sq ft, bad siding, no yard, etc) or rent a small apartment, just so they can own land. As a single guy (26) I have a fair amount of cash built up and love my space and hate the city, unfortunately work in a suburb of a large city with my folks and can't imagine living in a tiny little apartment (can't shoot bow), and to buy a house it would eat up all of my savings and only buy me a small house with no yard and it would likely be in a not so desirable location. The amount I have saved up is enough to buy a 200,000 property or more. just trying to determine the best route. Use it all for a house, and have to dedicate as much income as possible to that, or rent an apartment and buy land.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
land would likely be at least a 3 hour drive to get to prime hunting.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
When we found the place it was a mess the barn was good and the land was a mess. We looked at the land as a couple of double income no kids (dinks) 2 days after we signed the purchase agreement learned my wife was pregnant. After remodeling every room in the house I still live in a place I intended to bulldoze. The land is cleaned up the house is what it is

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
If I read you correctly I believe you mean to what ends did you sacrifice to own land and not how far do you travel. If that's the case I will offer this advice.

Rural land isn't always quickly sold and you don't always get what you think it's worth. With that being said I would suggest you delay this goal of owning land until you are financially capable of buying it without it draining your finances. Every investment I have made has come from surplus savings and I always assumed I would lose it. So I only invested what I could without it affecting my way of life. In other words, if I lost the money I put into the investment it wouldn't cause a chain reaction that could level me.
I bought my first farm at the age of 33 and my others at 43, 47, and 48. During the boom I know a lot of my friends were flipping land in Illinois and many of them got in hot water when the music stopped. I kept true to my system and went through the tough stretch unscathed. Others weren't so lucky and many lost their savings.
I suggest you keep saving and buy yourself a home where you can one day see your kids grow and then when you've achieved your savings goal you can splurge on a nice farm.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
As much as you would like to have some land, I would continue to save your money and build a nice foundation for the rest of your life, who knows where you'll be in 5-10 years, wife, kids, house etc.

·
Registered
24,079 Posts
There is a current thread entitled "Time" that you should read through if you have not yet done so. The gist is that the OP was asking how so many on AT seem to get unlimited time to hunt while he invested his time priorities on his family. Some are willing to sacrifice relationships and daily living conditions to have good hunting, but that honestly seems shortsighted when you consider that hunting season is only a fraction of the entire calendar year. Unless you could build on your land and live their or find another profession, it seems as though you would be putting a lot of "eggs" in one basket. However I must also confess that I shoot my bow out the back door of our comfortable home because we live on a couple semi-rural acres and that means more to me than just good hunting. We raised our kids here, I work in the community and there is decent hunting in the area. Not P&Y or B&C hunting, but I enjoy the chase and fresh venison as much as pursuing antlers. At the end of the day, only you can determine what is most important, but you could end up regretting the decision to purchase land that sits vacant most of the time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If I read you correctly I believe you mean to what ends did you sacrifice to own land and not how far do you travel. If that's the case I will offer this advice.

Rural land isn't always quickly sold and you don't always get what you think it's worth. With that being said I would suggest you delay this goal of owning land until you are financially capable of buying it without it draining your finances. Every investment I have made has come from surplus savings and I always assumed I would lose it. So I only invested what I could without it affecting my way of life. In other words, if I lost the money I put into the investment it wouldn't cause a chain reaction that could level me.
I bought my first farm at the age of 33 and my others at 43, 47, and 48. During the boom I know a lot of my friends were flipping land in Illinois and many of them got in hot water when the music stopped. I kept true to my system and went through the tough stretch unscathed. Others weren't so lucky and many lost their savings.
I suggest you keep saving and buy yourself a home where you can one day see your kids grow and then when you've achieved your savings goal you can splurge on a nice farm.
Wisdom... Can you example these basic fundamentals to our federal govt ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Land is usually a solid investment if purchased at a reasonable price. It rarely depreciates. Therefore, if you get in a bind you should either be able to harvest timber or sell

·
Registered
620 Posts
Urban and Suburban areas can offer some solid opportunities for bow hunters. Depending on where you live, I would suggest looking for 25-50 acres that are useless to developers and connect to other tracts of similar size that can't be developed for one reason or another. Some of these properties can be purchased fairy inexpensively and you can always build or drop in a house trailer for now.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
I bought land and built too much house. Now I have a beautiful house that I don't need. My last house would have been paid off, had I stayed there. It was nice too. I second guess my decision all the time. Think A LOT before you make your decision. I would do things different if I had the chance. But hey I have my own land that I RARELY hunt. Still spend 80% of my time hunting the public land I did before I bought my own.

·
Registered
40,254 Posts
Buy land. I live in a modest house that is basically a hunting lodge. But I can see deer from my porch. Land is the only thing really worth buying. And they ain't making anymore of it!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Land is usually a solid investment if purchased at a reasonable price. It rarely depreciates. Therefore, if you get in a bind you should either be able to harvest timber or sell
X2 I would personally spend 150k on the land and buy a modest home I myself live in a small 900 sq ft cabin with my girlfriend an 2 children yeh it's cramped but we live on a beautiful lake with basketball courts and playgrounds for the children.

My plan is to tough it out a few more years then upgrade and rent my current house out. If I was you I would do the same I. The end you could have great property and a rental home to pay for your own nicer house or more property or watever.

Also great hearing you have those kinds of funds most people our age are horrible with money congrats and good luck with watever route you decide to take

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the buy land as an investment thinking. There are more sound ways to invest your $$$

·
Registered
40,254 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the buy land as an investment thinking. There are more sound ways to invest your $$$
Of course there are better investments. But if the question is buy a big house with a very small acreage or a small house with more land, the latter is a better choice. OP obviously want to be able to use his place for recreation if possible. If he finds the right piece of ground, he can do that, plus utilize the timber at some point.

·
Bowhunter
6,440 Posts
1) We are not given unlimited time on this earth. 2) You will not be healthy and strong forever.

My dad died at the age of 62 with a long list of "some day..." and "I wish I did..." lists. I vowed not to let that happen. I live in the present now.

If this is something you really want and you can make it happen without burying yourself in unsurmountable debt I say go for it. I would rather live in my plain small house and have a nice farm or camp, than a big fancy house and hunting public land. Another year or two of saving and I'm making it happen. But that is me. We all have to make our own choices.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When we found the place it was a mess the barn was good and the land was a mess. We looked at the land as a couple of double income no kids (dinks) 2 days after we signed the purchase agreement learned my wife was pregnant. After remodeling every room in the house I still live in a place I intended to bulldoze. The land is cleaned up the house is what it is
X2 lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
I live in a smallish house (1500 sqft) in the burbs that will be paid off in 6 years. If I were single without kids, I'd have bought a big spot of land and put a double-wide/trailer/camper or something on it. I don't own land I can hunt on but my dad has a farm (though he's planning on moving after deer season). I'm trying to convince my dad to subdivide his farm.... I'd like him to sell me the land and he can sell the house separately. If not, I'm gonna buy some land when my house is paid off....

·
Live Free or Die!
8,618 Posts
OP, are you putting any percentage of your income into retirement? I think I'd invest some of that savings into solid mutual funds and let your money make you money. Then find a nice 5 year lease or something.

I want to eventually buy land too, but to call it an investment is a stretch. 100k in a piece of land or 100k in a 10% return 401k...which one makes you more money?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts