Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine's set at 65#, can go up to 70#. Drops about 1-2 inches between 10 and 20 yards and another 1-2 between 20 and 30.

If I crank up to 70# will it flatten out?

What's your bow set at?
How far out is it flying flat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
it won't help you much by uping the #, your better off by shooting a heavier arrow to flattn out the arrow drop, and shoot a lighter broadhead...:)

·
Registered
555 Posts
depends on far i want to throw it... the harded i throw the farther it goes... :mg:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
If you increase the DW by 5# you will get about 10fps or there about. Not enough to really "flatten it out". JMO

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
My Katera flies flat about one quarter of one millimeter after it leaves the rest. Maybe not even that much. Then the laws of gravity take over. I do not think that law has been repealed, yet. But then there are some strange going-ons in Washington lately.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
If you think your bow is shooting flat.....

then use your 20 yard pin and shoot at 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 yards. You'll quickly see that its not shooting truly flat. but rather the arrow is rising from the time it leaves the string and eventually arcs to a maximum height. Then it will begin to fall off as the distance increases. But the arrow is not actually flying "flat". At 2 yards you will likely be shooting a few inches low. At 5 yards maybe 1 inch low, then around 15 to 20 it will be spot on. Then again at 30 it will begin to fall a few inches low. How much and how fast will have to do with how fast it is shooting and how heavy the arrow is.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Uhm this is a trick question.
1. The moment the arrow leave the string is begins to fall.
2. The addition of 10#'s will maybe extend it a little further in yards before it falls the same distance.
So what exactly are you attempting to do?
While at 20 yard you might be dropping only 1-2 inches , at somewhere around 5-10 yards your arrow is high not low.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Mine's set at 65#, can go up to 70#. Drops about 1-2 inches between 10 and 20 yards and another 1-2 between 20 and 30.

If I crank up to 70# will it flatten out?

What's your bow set at?
How far out is it flying flat?

Thanks.
So in other words your bow is shooting 370-380 fps?:zip::confused:

Your arrow does not fly flat either

Nothing does unless you were to stick some sort of gizmo on the bottom to force it up with the same force as gravity pulls down -- which doesnt exist

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realize this might seem rudimentary to some of you, for that I appologize. I have owned a bow for about 4 months now, so I'm not a seasoned BOW hunter.

I guess my question stems from all of those out there that are taking 40 and 50 yard shots. I want to practice 30 and 40 yard shots consistently. I guess I was wondering if my Black Ice would ever allow me to do that, or if people are shooting "stronger" bows.

I realize there is rise and fall of an arrow throughout it's path. But again, I've heard some CLAIM that their bow shoots "relatively" flat out to 20-25 yards. Thus, I was wondering if I cranked up another 5# would I get less drop on my target at 20yd and ultimately 3 or 4 inches at 40 yards instead of the approximately 6 inches I currently experience.

At that rate, to hit a target at 50 yards, I'd look like something out of Jason and the Argonauts.

Thanks for any info or tips.

and no I don't claim to hit 370 fps, not sure where that got conjured up. My current set up likely flies just under 300FPS.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
it won't help you much by uping the #, your better off by shooting a heavier arrow to flattn out the arrow drop, and shoot a lighter broadhead...:)
explain the heavier arrow equals flatter thing to me please. or do you mean lessen head weight more than the shaft increase?

Cully: if you want to shoot 40-50 you need to practice. 5lbs of pull weight does little.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I realize this might seem rudimentary to some of you, for that I appologize. I have owned a bow for about 4 months now, so I'm not a seasoned BOW hunter.

I guess my question stems from all of those out there that are taking 40 and 50 yard shots. I want to practice 30 and 40 yard shots consistently. I guess I was wondering if my Black Ice would ever allow me to do that, or if people are shooting "stronger" bows.

I realize there is rise and fall of an arrow throughout it's path. But again, I've heard some CLAIM that their bow shoots "relatively" flat out to 20-25 yards. Thus, I was wondering if I cranked up another 5# would I get less drop on my target at 20yd and ultimately 3 or 4 inches at 40 yards instead of the approximately 6 inches I currently experience.

At that rate, to hit a target at 50 yards, I'd look like something out of Jason and the Argonauts.

Thanks for any info or tips.

and no I don't claim to hit 370 fps, not sure where that got conjured up. My current set up likely flies just under 300FPS.
That is around what it would take to produce the ballistics of 2" low at 30 with a 20 yard pin.

Another 5# I doubt you will notice anything

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm more than willing to put in the time, just ask my wife who's busted me on the roof a few times this fall.

I guess that answers my question. Is it me, or is it equipment. If I have to compensate for the drop that's fine. Practice makes perfect. I was just looking to lessen the drop, or thought I might be dealing with more than others. If I'm on the same playing field, I can handle that.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
explain the heavier arrow equals flatter thing to me please. or do you mean lessen head weight more than the shaft increase?

Cully: if you want to shoot 40-50 you need to practice. 5lbs of pull weight does little.
Posted via Mobile Device
i didn't understand it, until i tried it. trad shooters shoot 600 gr arrows.

i shot a 380 grain arrow at 65# then put on a trad arrow 600 gr. ya it went way below the mark at 20 yards.( i had to use my 30 yard pin) well at 50 yards the 600 gr had less drop compared to the 380 gr. as the heavier arrow mantained its momentum longer, as in wind, rain.....
but to shoot "flat" isn't going to happen. as far as a lighter tip the arrow doesn't nose dive as quickly so you'll get a little less drop.:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check me if I'm wrong. (He said he's new to archery) It sounds like he's shooting a single pin sight and wondering how far his "maximum point blank range" is, or how far he can shoot at a 6" circle by holding dead on. Might I suggest a multiple pin sight where you would sight the top pin in at 20 yards and the lower pins at increasingly further distances in 10 yard increments (20, 30, 40, 50, 60). 40 yards is not a long shot. With today's bows and components, accuracy is really amazing. Learn how to tune your bow/arrow combination yourself (download Eastons Tuning Guide) I printed off a copy and put it in a binder in clear sheet protectors and it is always a great reference when tuning or shooting. Practice often and confidence will come. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I'm using a multiple pin sight. What I was using to appreciate the "drop" was the next pin up. For example, I held my 20yd pin dead on at a known distance of 30 yds. Then I could see how far the drop was. I did the same at 40 with the 30 pin.

I know there will be drop I was just trying to figure out if my bow was too weak or something. I guess if I set a pin at 40 and practice at 40 all of this is moot. It just seemed to me like there was a lot of distance in the sight, between the 10 and the 40 pins. So again it made me feel like my bow was weak or something.

It's factory speed was 301FPS. I know there are plenty of newer bows that shoot at 325 up to 340 etc. So I also wondered if that might be a factor. But best I can tell, there are a lot of satisfied customers using Diamond Black Ice bow. I'm afraid I have very little frame of reference as it's my first bow. I did shoot several different bows before settling on this one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nothing wrong with your bow, its plenty fast.More important is if you feel comfotable and accurate with it.I would think 5 more pounds do just the opposite.The arch will allways be there.

r.mika

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
No, no, you rig should shoot out to 70 or 80 yards before you start running into elevation adjustment issues. I'm gonna assume since you live in NY that you hunt mostly whitetails and maybe bears, and mostly out of a treestand. What you might do, is if you have a 5 pin sight, sight in to 60, 10 yard increments, and practice the 50 and 60 yards. 30 and 40 will be chip shots. For the shooting flatter, what you might want to try is the Easton Full Metal Jackets either the 340's or the 400's. They'll get your weight up pretty well depending on how long they are. They shoot very well and hit like a sledge hammer!!! To keep your momentum, you don't want to go too high and sacrifice too much speed, but on the other hand, you need the weight to keep that momentum. That momentum will equal penetration at distance. As for shooting flatter, you bow works just like a rifle. You have to shoot on an arc that bring the arrow from the plane it is shot on to the plane you line of sight is on. Your bow is a great bow! A lot of people hunt with them and love 'em. I almost got on myself. Don't get too caught up in the speed kick, speed isn't everything. Your bow will take down just about anything you put a pin on in NY! Enjoy the bow and good luck!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts