Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to fletch some arrows with AAE Hybrid 23s and I’ve found that I really like these vanes from past times that I’ve fletched arrows. But this time, I’m wanting to see what people find as the optimal distance from end of shaft. Also does length of vane make a difference for how far you place from end of shaft?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m curious to what the response is to this- also- are there a huge advantages or disadvantages to arrow wraps other than looks? I’m all for function over fashion but damn those wraps can make them look sweet

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
This far

Reactions: Robspartacus

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I run blazers 1 inch from end. Gold Tip 30X seconds (.5 straightness) and this group was from this afternoon directly after fletching them. 6 arrows at 50 yards just over a 1 inch (about 2") group. Believe it or not, this wasn't a cherry picked group. Normally, this would have been a cherry picked photo. Arrows 1-6 of 12. Normally I'm between 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards.

I've been running about 1/2" from carbon BUT my beard was making contact. Didn't see any problems down range but I decided today to extend it just to make sure there would not be a problem. Groups the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Factory is good enough for me - 1" from shaft/nock.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Factory is good enough for me - 1" from shaft/nock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m curious to what the response is to this- also- are there a huge advantages or disadvantages to arrow wraps other than looks? I’m all for function over fashion but damn those wraps can make them look sweet
They’re supposed to be a better material for vanes to stick to compared to straight carbon or aluminum. Also probably add a little bit more protection to the arrow if you’re shooting tight groups.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Advantages; Company that makes the wraps makes money. The shop that sells them makes money. And then makes your billfold lighter.
Disadvantages; Could upset you FOC. Find your arrow so the arrow companies doesn't get to sell you more arrows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't measure each one. My mark on my blitz clamp is set for 1" but with the Zenith upgrade it depends upon how far down I push the arrow. The other two match up to where the first one goes, again 'bout an inch.

·
Registered
Elite Kure
690 Posts
Im putting white wraps with white vanes strictly for visibility sake

·
Registered
PSE Stealth 35, VAP TKO 495g, STAN Perfex Long neck: PSE Supra Focus XL LD, HT Hybrid Flex
48 Posts
1.25 from the carbon. I have a big beard and don't like the vane to make contact.

·
Banned
3,358 Posts
I fletch (4) about a 1/2" higher than the Pics, too Clear my Cheek and Face Fur.

·
Registered
Mathews Traverse
2,551 Posts
Real answer for wraps......Advantages for wrap for me: vanes can stick better, you can see arrow better and find easieruse white for hunting to see blood condition, easier to refletch - you dont have to scrape carbon to get glue and vane off, much faster. Run em under hot water and peel off nice. Solid colors are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP... literally PENNIES per wrap if you buy material and cut your own. And finally they are fun and look good.
Disadvantages are if you screw up a vanes you have to refletch all vanes.
20210124_115703.jpg

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,544 Posts
about an inch, just to keep the vanes off my face at anchor

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
1" from the end of the carbon. As for wraps, I use heat shrink wraps so no glue to clean off and the vains and feathers (I use feathers for hunting) stick much better. Advantage, much easier to refletch, easier to see/find. Disadvantage, can't get heat shrink small enough for less than 6mm diameter shafts.

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
One inch for me. In my case, the reason for that is I used to use feathers and I didn't want them touching my face at full draw making noise against my whiskers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts