Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got sort of a dumb question, but I haven't seen it asked before... I just picked up a new 2012 Pantera and want to have my wife use my old Cheetah. It's a 70# bow which according to the manual, will go down to 55#. Since you can back off the limb bolts all the way until the string falls off, what would happen if I just backed the bolts off until it was 40#? It is a 2006, so I'm not too worried about voiding the warranty, but I don't want it to blow up in her face either.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Limb bolts would pull through the barrel nut over time, very dangerous and a sure disaster.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, as long as the limb bolts were still entirely through the barrel nut, it would be ok? Maybe that's where the 55# pounds come from.:confused2: I was going to check with the Martin tech forum, but I'm having issues registering there.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Buy longer bolts. Actually dont do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha... actually not a bad idea. I was thinking of taking the belt sander to the limbs to thin them down, but that is a less permanent solution. Think I have some old bolts laying around here somewhere....:mg:

·
Registered
352 Posts
haha... actually not a bad idea. I was thinking of taking the belt sander to the limbs to thin them down, but that is a less permanent solution. Think I have some old bolts laying around here somewhere....:mg:
you could back it out 4 or 5 turns but it is not worth it.all a safty issue.think of the bolt thing this way.if martin archery felt it would be safe then they would have added longer limb bolts so a person could back it out from 70 to 40,but what you will get is a angle off the limbs from drawing the bow that will cause some bad things to happen.

if i may offer a diff option.put them 70lb lims in the classifieds for a trade to 40 to 55 lb limbs.or post it on the MTF classifieds forum to try and trade .or both

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/forumdisplay.php?19-Classifieds

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you could back it out 4 or 5 turns but it is not worth it.all a safty issue.think of the bolt thing this way.if martin archery felt it would be safe then they would have added longer limb bolts so a person could back it out from 70 to 40,but what you will get is a angle off the limbs from drawing the bow that will cause some bad things to happen.

if i may offer a diff option.put them 70lb lims in the classifieds for a trade to 40 to 55 lb limbs.or post it on the MTF classifieds forum to try and trade .or both

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/forumdisplay.php?19-Classifieds
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about swapping the limbs out. I don't want to put too much money into it since its a 2005, but maybe I can find someone to trade limbs. I'll have to put the ad here - MTF thinks I'm a spammer and won't let me register. :cry:

BTW I was joking about the sander and longer bolts....really..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about swapping the limbs out. I don't want to put too much money into it since its a 2005, but maybe I can find someone to trade limbs. I'll have to put the ad here - MTF thinks I'm a spammer and won't let me register. :cry:

BTW I was joking about the sander and longer bolts....really..
i am a former mod at the MTF and it has been having issues with letting people in.send bfisher a PM and let him know it wont let you in.he is the admin and will take care of you.you can send him a PM here as well.

lol on the limb bolts and sander

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - I finally got in. I did a little research and tracked down the "spammer" database. Turns out it didn't like the usernames I tried. Simply 'eric' was too short and would fail the spam check, but not the registration validator (the little window that says if a username is long enough and in use). My account name here, 'eric69', was used as a spam account in the past according the to database. Frustrating.

Funny though - I put an ad on MTF, and one of the first responses was someone telling me to post an ad here. :shade:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do not back down more than 5 complete turns. Unless she is a big girl it still will be hard, best to sell it and get her a 40 or 50lb bow.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Do not back down more than 5 complete turns. Unless she is a big girl it still will be hard, best to sell it and get her a 40 or 50lb bow.
Good advice. Although I shoot Martin i'll suggest you look at a Darton Ranger. One of the best held secrets in archery for $210---new.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - those Darton's seem like a pretty good deal. My wife became lukewarm on the idea of shooting a bow, so I'm holding off on my plans for now. Maybe just hang onto it for a backup bow. But my kids will be needing a real bow pretty soon, and the Darton seems like a good candidate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts