Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through a pin yardage post I got into a discussion with a friend of mine about how far is too far to shoot at a deer.

My answer was simply what you feel comfortable with...I feel pretty confident out to 30 yrds. I shoot 40yrd shots with 2-3 inch groups but for now feel like I'd like to get them closer before letting a stick fly.

He quickly jumped on his "high horse" and said that you shouldn't take a shot at a deer out more than 20yrds. His words were "maybe 30yrds but you should try to get them at 20 or less to assure good penetration."

Any thoughts.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
I shoot regularly out to 50yds becouse of the league we are shooting and I feel very comfortable taking those shots, we have other shots out to 80 but only the ones 50 and closer I feel more confident at shooting. But when it comes to deer I practice out to 40 yards continually, why becouse the 30 yarder is a chip shot then providing that you have the wind and deer in a calm state. I would not hesitate on a 30 yrd shot if conditions were right, but you have to know your own limitations and do not shoot outside them till you feel comfortable and have PRACTICED them over and over. No one likes to track a poorly wounded deer.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
20-30 yard shots are not the norm for me. Maybe I need to work on my bowhunting skills a little. Most of my shots are at 40+ yards. I am very confident at 50 and 60 yards. 50 is about as far as I will shot most of the time.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It really depends on where you hunt.....

Hunting out west a 40 - 50 yard shot is common, but hunting in the east the average shot is about 20 yards....

The issue with distance and a bow is the differance between arrow trjectory and line of sight. Out west things are usally more open, in the east more obsticles.

I think a reasonable distance is the distance at which you know that you can consistently hit a 4-6 inch group. The other variable is the stuff between you and the target.

I practice out to 50 yards, I am very consistent out to 40 (4 inch groups). But in the area I hunt 30 yards if far, there is usally to many obstructions that increase the chance of a bad hit. If I had a clear (I mean clear) shot at 40 I would take it, but to some this is a poke and hope to others this is a gimmy. But I will say my average shot is 20 or less....

Basiclly it all depends individually and the archer, ability and surroundings.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you are facing a farther than normal shot and something in the back of your mind is saying NO, Wait, Maybe, or IF then it is too far. You should KNOW 100% that you CAN before you take a longer than normal shot.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Normal in this context totally depends upon the person shooting and the distances at which said person regularly pratices..... ;)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It depends on each individual person and their abilities. It is hard to set limits on other people.

·
Registered
151 Posts
kinematic energy?

This is an interesting topic. I would like to add some flavor and get some advice. Let's for argument sake say you feel comfortable hitting a deer at 50 yards. How do you determine the kinematic energy your arrow will have at that range? I know there is a formula for determining KE (of course the search pulls up nothing), yet that formula is KE at what range?
Hope some of you smart guys have an answer.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
benchleg90 said:
20-30 yard shots are not the norm for me. Maybe I need to work on my bowhunting skills a little. Most of my shots are at 40+ yards. I am very confident at 50 and 60 yards. 50 is about as far as I will shot most of the time.
Benchleg,

Its because you and I live in a different world than guys who live east of Topeka KS. :D

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Ask your friend check out the ranges antelope hunters shoot. Tell him to get back with you on that 20yd claim.

40yds for me.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
On a calm deer that seems to have no idea I'm in the woods - 40 yards.

On a very jumpy deer that looks high strung - I'll pass. :wink:

In saying that, I shot a buck in 97 at 20 yards - complete passthrough. He ran into the field I was hunting and stopped broadside at 70 yards - turned and looked back at the doe he had been trailing. I'll just say this - I'd wished I'd practiced out to 70 (or at least knew how high to hold for 'Kentucky windage'). Just because you don't plan on shooting that far, doesn't mean it won't happen. I sent a second arrow that landed at his feet - recovered him 30 yards from that spot anyway, but I should have known where to hold...live and learn.

·
Registered
470 Posts
According to OnTarget's software, my bow (which has 81.69 ft.lbs. and .5733 slug feet per second at the bow) still has 70.45 ft.lbs. and .5324 slug feet at 120 yards, assuming no wind. I'm pretty sure that's still enough energy to get good penetration with a good broadhead on a moose. I don't think the bows' efficiencies are really the limiting factor when it comes to ethics and whitetail hunting. There are better excuses for not taking a 30+ yard shot, like string jump, the deer's natural movement (according to OnTarget my arrow would take 1.3 seconds to reach 120 yards) and hunter's proficiency.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For deer/bear my maximum yardage is 40 yards. That is what I am comfortable with for them.

When I am moose/elk hunting I push that out to 70 yards with a clean shot (no brush). I have taken 2 bulls (moose) at 70 yards including a nice 53" a couple of years ago and always have a complete pass thru.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hunt in central Texas and I have plenty of cover...

I still want to be proficient at longer ranges just in case the need arises.

·
Registered
135 Posts
wisc, I'm not a smart guy by no means buy here you go.lol
http://www.bowhuntinginfo.com/KineticEnergyNew.htm
Any bowhunter should have his/her own personal comfort zone where he/she is comfortable in placing a killing shot. For some this is a mere 15 yards to which many will scoff but if this is that bowhunter's comfort zone where they know thwy "will" kill the animal quickly and effeciently so be it.
Others will be comfortable at 50 or 60yds where some will think this is an anunrealistic and rediculous distance to shoot an animal but if they feel confident with the shot (and practice those distances regularly) and are shooting a relaxed animal they may well be successful. Hopefully the animal in question is not feeding forward after the shot is taken just to move out of kill zone coverage.

Edit: My personal comfort zone is 40 yds. Anything within that distance is looking for my arrow. lol

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
It comes down to the shooter having the abilities to make the shot count. If it is only a 20 yrd shot, so be it. If it is a 60 yrds, likewise. But.....it comes down to practice, practice, practice..........did i say practice? It's knowing your limitation and working with your strong points. :shade: :beer:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm with you ZA...

I actually posted this question without reading an earlier post about the hunter who shot his deer at 68yrds.

My argument was more with the 30+yrds being to far and unethical. I felt like it is more of personal confidence and conviction. Only I know if I don't feel right about the shot I'm going to take and it's only at that moment I need to make my judgement call.

If in doubt...don't draw. What I think some people don't realize is that it takes a lot of discipline to know your limits and NOT exceed them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts