Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the talk about being able to shoot longer distances, how good are you really?

Try this. Walk outside with one arrow. Pick the furthest you would feel comfortable shooting an animal and let it fly.

In my experiance, the majority of the time you get one shot. You have the luxary to get warmed up and after a few rounds its go time. But you sit in a tree for sometimes hours on end and then get one shot.

Like toddcdozer said in his thread. How far can you effectivly kill 100% of the time?

My range is 40 yrds. I can literally walk out my back door and shoot a baseball first try on any given day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,604 Posts
I practice from 20-60 yards all the time. When I am in a stand though with hunting conditions and hunting clothes I am a 30 and less guy. I did shoot a deer once at 37 yards but I was on the ground. The furthest I ever shot on at from a tree was 32 yards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,025 Posts
35 is as far as i care to shoot movun critters, bit i can hit the mark at 50 any time just stepping out and shooting one arrow because i do it every day, it helps to boost the confidence factor when you do this everyday at least once or twice with only one arrow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,624 Posts
I heard of guys not even being able to break the bow over on long cold sits, dressed for bear, much less make any kind of a shot.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
74,535 Posts
I do the one shot practice often during deer season. Your 100% its the only shot that matters.

40 yrds is about my max range.
DB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,442 Posts
40 is it for me, pref. to kill something at 30 yards.:thumbs_up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
30 yards and in. Any further it's a gamble I'm not willing to take on a deer.
Maybe I suck, but dont practice much further. I'll never get a clean 40 yard shot in the woods...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,445 Posts
I do this often-I step out of my sliding door onto the deck. my deer target & little 8" target are 30 yds away. though I practice farther my shots are 99% under 30. the other 1% might be up to 40..

Oh, pics are from my deck so you see why I need to be "on target" if the need arises. My yard "is" legal...

Notice how my Deer target 30 yds. away is dwarfed by mr. real Whitetail. Oh, & my Deer hauler.
They destroyed my hay bale target-was a tough winter. They don't seem to worried-must have seen me shooting.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
So whats the secret guys? Theres no way I could shoot a 3" circle at 50 yds. Do most of you shoot almost daily year round.....shoot leagues? Right now 30 yds is as far as I am comfortable shooting and even at that I get a flyer every once in awhile!!!!
 

·
Hero for Hire
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I won't shoot past 30 yards. I don't practice enough to think I'd be successful much past that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
40 yards. Sometimes I impress myself and am outstanding at 60. My wife will correctly point out that I impress myself to easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
I have been practicing 10 to 60 getting ready for an elk hunt. I have never shot better. I am totally confident out to 60. I have been hitting a paper plate size bullseye with no problems with broadheads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,336 Posts
The dilemna many archers face is that maybe 50 yards is a 100% deal out in the backyard after work, but the excitement of drawing back on a big buck or bull in the woods adds an entirely different element to the shooting game. Some actually shoot better, but for most it is a major handicap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
Ill go to 50 in a hunting situation, with little to no wind. Thikn Ive only ever shot over 30 three times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
Didn't you start a thread on 80 yard shooting... :wink:

The dilemna many archers face is that maybe 50 yards is a 100% deal out in the backyard after work, but the excitement of drawing back on a big buck or bull in the woods adds an entirely different element to the shooting game. Some actually shoot better, but for most it is a major handicap.
 

·
Fat Jesus
Joined
·
29,130 Posts
Shooting at live stuff is different than shooting at a target...I live in town so I dont have the luxury of stepping to the back door and shooting...But with that said if I did have the place to do it behind the house I'd be willing to bet I could step out with 1 arrow pretty much every day and put one in a 3-d targets lungs at 80yds without to much problems....Further than that and it wouldnt be a sure thing every time on the 1st arrow.
 
1 - 20 of 213 Posts
Top