Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is good enough? I was rwading on another forum about a guy that was having trouble with his groups spreading out laterally. I believe he was shooting about 6 inch groups at that range. So my question is: What do you consider to be adequate hunting accuracy? Is a consistent 2 inch group at 20 good enough (at that range)? If so, what about 3 inches at a certain range. Or 4..What should be the cut-off point?

I'm sure I could do a search, but thought it should be brought up.

· Registered
14,256 Posts
is good enough? I was rwading on another forum about a guy that was having trouble with his groups spreading out laterally. I believe he was shooting about 6 inch groups at that range. So my question is: What do you consider to be adequate hunting accuracy? Is a consistent 2 inch group at 20 good enough (at that range)? If so, what about 3 inches at a certain range. Or 4..What should be the cut-off point?

I'm sure I could do a search, but thought it should be brought up.
For me grouping was never a problem, I always thought I was a good shot, 2-3" 20-30 yrds. But in the field is where my best groupings were worthless.

My first year back into bow hunting was rough, I had plenty of chances just couldn't account for the diffrent angles I shot at deer from.

With that under my belt I now have a better understanding of that and now I can put my groupings to work.

· Registered
908 Posts
I don't pay too much attention to groups when it gets close to the season. When I practice shooting at a block target or on the course at my local range I fire 1 arrow at each target. If every arrow is in the kill zone then I know I am good to go.

When practicing outside of season I usually consider 1" for every 10 yards to be the benchmark. Even at 70yards, which I will never try to take a deer at, a 7" group is still(roughly) in the kill zone assuming you don't soot 7" forward.

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
If you can put your first arrow in a volleyball (9 out of 10) from X- distance (40 yards for me) then that is your effective range.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
When practicing outside of season I usually consider 1" for every 10 yards to be the benchmark.

x2

With that being said, I keep my hunting shots inside 40 yards. There are days when I can touch arrows inside the center of a bullseye at 40, then there are days where I can barely hit a softball-sized target at 40. I have hit soda bottles beyond 60 yards, but that was just playing around at the range. My personal max for hunting is 40, just because I know I can keep it in the kill zone at that distance even if my form is less than perfect.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
at 20 & 30 I would hope to keep it in the gold on a 40cm Fita target. At 40 I would like to keep it in the gold but I know that will not always happen so if I get a few in the red I am ok with that. I am more worried that my first shot goes where I am aiming( or close to it:wink:)

for most to go with the 1" per 10 yards is a reducilius(SP) goal The white( 5 ring) on a NFAA target is 2" so by that rule you a 300 shooter:rolleyes:some are but most are not.

the gold on a 40cm fita target has a 3" diamiter and the 10 ring is 1.5" I now at 20 I can keep most in, even with hunting stuff, but I get the odd flyer so there is no way my average is 2" just not going to happen.

how you measure groups is also important. Do youy measure from the center out or from the 2 furthest arrows:rolleyes:

· Registered
4,220 Posts
for most to go with the 1" per 10 yards is a reducilius(SP) goal The white( 5 ring) on a NFAA target is 2" so by that rule you a 300 shootersome are but most are not
I agree to a point.

Here is 3 groups from yesterday and today. Same distance aiming at the same 3in spot.

4.5inches

4.5inches

3.5 inches

These groups are 4.5inches at the largest but i would have to have a 6-7 inch bullseye to have them all in.

One group went high,one right and one group low.

My buddy was pointing at something..i dont remember what.

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
Take the farthest distance you can keep a 4" group EVERY time and cut it in half and there's your effective hunting distance. Sure some guys can stand at 80 yards and put arrow after arrow in the dot. Now put them up in a treestand, with heavy clothes on, sat for 4hrs, 30 degrees out, buck of a lifetime at 35 yards.....you get the picture. The biggest thing for your effective range is confidence. If you have to wonder if you can make the shot or not then you should probably pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.