Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I went last weekend. Had a good weekend. Saw quite a few deer. Waiting on it to cool off a little bit before I go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I haven't been but I am hearing reports of folks seeing a lot of deer, but as you know it's been hot. Haven't been on GON lately but there's usually some good reports on there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hot and humid but good deer movement. I saw 9 yesterday but the wind was swirling and they busted me.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I need westerly winds to hunt my stands, all I'm getting are east winds. I've sat three times, seen a few but it's still hot.

·
Vendor
318 Posts
i hunted opening weekend it was hot. Saw a lot of deer movement all day long. Was hoping for a nice doe, but as my luck goes just saw a lot of young bucks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No deer here, just coyotes. And it's extremely dry, lots of mature deciduous trees are shriveling up, and doubting success w food plots.

·
Full Time Novice
7,170 Posts
Im hearing good reports from friends down in Georgia. Mr Bloodworth owns a lot of the land in Hanesville Ga. Deer seen there. Other areas would be in Hawkinsville. Those who are going out are complaining its hot and tough to stick it out. Other areas where Im getting reports are the Henry County Houston County and Bibb county. No harvest yet so Im told. But will keep you guys posted.

·
Full-time Dork
2,145 Posts
Started off a little slow when that cold front came in, it had the deer around me bedded pretty hard, but after it passed they hopped up and were moving a lot. Saw a 6pt that I've been watching for 2 years, he's getting fat. Killed a 150# doe the other day. Seen 4 other does and a few other little fawns here and there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the updates guys. I don't get to go out until the first weekend of October, so I'm just itching to do anything hunting. Keep us updated guys!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Been seeing a ton. More than years past. Killed a doe opening afternoon at 2:30. Also seems to be a ton more fawns than normal. Decent buck activity. Have a 9 point and 11 point moving around that i'll be getting after soon. Still in velvet.

·
Keith Karr
1,802 Posts
I've got a lot of coyote pictures and several bobcats too. Several bobcat pictures in the daylight which is surprising.

Got a trapper that is going to start working on the yotes after deer season.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
View attachment 4831906
Coyote got one on my Meriwether county property.
Need to release him on our land for a night. Seems every doe has 2 fawns and even have one running around with triplets. Once i get a few more does I'll shoot a couple fawns. Wait for them to get a little bigger. Had 3 does and a spike at 8 yards the other day for 30 minutes. Really wanted to shoot one, but kept looking at how tiny their hindquarters were. I love a December fawn. As soon as their spots are almost gone. Perfect.

How has Meriwether been lately? Haven't hunted their since 2010. Warm Springs. I miss those big bodied deer. Now i have small deer with a January rut. Haha

·
Registered
720 Posts
Years of over harvesting does, 10 -12 does per 1-2 bucks has been devastating to Georgias deer herd. How many fawns does the average doe have and whats the survival rate ?
How may chicks does the average hen turkey have ? How many hen turkeys can you kill in Georgia ? GA DNR is pathetic and only care about the insurance companies and sadly many ill advised hunters have helped them destroy what used to be a great deer herd and replace them with coyotes, but then again how many insurance claims came from coyotes or turkeys compared to deer ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts