Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As for myself, I have not been to the range in weeks. I certainly miss going to the range, but in a risk/benefit analysis, the risk outweighs the benefit. Acknowledged, individual situations may differ. As a substitute, I've been shooting in my basement range and doing specific exercises to increase "bow" strength. I do this nearly every day. I still immensely enjoy archery, but I admit, enthusiasm has been tempered a bit, most likely due to isolation. I spend some time on Archery Talk (trying to ignore the political stuff), checking out LAS and some manufacturer websites. Still, no substitute for the range and camaraderie found there.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I’ve shot twice in my basement this year and about 5 times in total since last April. It was a good time to squeeze in overdue knee surgery but with no clubs open and no tournaments on the horizon, I have really lost interest now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am not a competitive archer so to me this is an outdoor activity, no different than going to the park or going for a walk on the local jogging path. Maintain social distance and continue with life.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Covid did not have a significant impact on my archery shooting time last year. Though down from previous years I still managed to shoot over 12.5K arrows. Sure missed Compton, Twin Oaks, Cloverdale and a hadnful of other events in 2020 though. There is a lot more to archery than shooting and the time/money spent going to events has gven me the opportunity to build several target butts and increase the range here at the house. Reading Viper's text, dog earing the pages of the Lancaster Catalog, making arrows and just plain old piddling around. Keep the Faith and contunue to play it safe, the future is bright and it's right around the corner.

·
Registered
20,547 Posts
Brian -

No. Requiring masks to be worn WHILE SHOOTING at our range just sucks the fun out of it.
Problem is that I don't see an end to that any time soon. at least not until the weather gets warmer and we can go outside. And yes, I spoke to the owners, and I can understand their concerns.

Miss seeing you guys.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Other than the lack of competitions, I spent quality time alone at my club shooting 3D and field. The indoor part is non-existent though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
2020 was out for us up around here, no tourneys at all to speak of and whilst our club remains open, the indoor closed so any plans I had went for a dump.
Makes me realise how motivated by competition I am, and after my 2019 which was a year of huge shooting highlights that I really wanted to build on, I am trying now to make up some of that lost ground. Considering the last competitive arrows I shot were at the 2019 3D worlds, that sucks!

So, I'm back in training and if we get a resemblance of normal back and I get to shoot some competitive 3D, grand. If not I am learning to Spey cast, and I'll be harassing the trout around here in my boat, biking, hiking and keeping the dogs fit, like my 2020.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Right when it started I went through a dead phase where I didn't shoot for like a month. I have a 25 yard range in my backyard so I can step out and shoot whenever I want, I also have a 70m Olympic range about 10 minutes from my house. Unfortunately with 3d shoots canceled and my local shop/range permanently closed I've had difficulty keeping interest. Fortunately its come back lately and I've been shooting 4-5ish days per week. I recently took down my Olympic setup and have been shooting it barebow so its renewed some interest, even on the traditional side. Its funny I have more time do to the things that I want to do in my life since I got out of college, but I'm sitting here after a year not even close to any of the goals I wanted to accomplish.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I go during the week to the range. Shoot a round or two. Even just before season started only a few people. Sometimes I am only one there during the week. We can even pay on line.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,784 Posts
I wouldn't give a trip to an outdoor range a second thought. Just keep some distance and everything will be fine. I can access my club's indoor range any time of day. So I have been going after my kiddos are in bed. I normally have the place to myself. Even if someone else is there, I just go down to the opposite end to shoot and chat from a distance.

For me the worst part of this pandemic was the stress and anxiety while prepping for my elk hunt last summer. By some miracle, we got to go without myself, my partner, my parents, my wife or my kids getting the kung-flu at the wrong time and spoiling the trip. And luckily MT probably had our permit money spent quick enough that they didn't dare cancel the seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have a lane in my yard.
And I have a wide open at the ranch. Covid has not changed anything other than competitions for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
Zero change for me. I just shoot in the yard these days, sadly haven't been to a 3d course in years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've always pretty much shot by myself just to keep in practice for hunting, so my routine hasn't changed. I shoot in my basement at 10 yds, and if I want to practice out to 40 I'll go out in my yard. I still occasionally take the kids to an outdoor range, and we've met a buddy out there a couple times. Hopefully my local club will have the outdoor 3D course set up this summer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was getting ready to re-join league. My second shot of the vaccine is coming up so I wanted to wait til Feb. League Administrator told me - Show up in Feb. We will use your avg from last year for your first 3 scores. THANKS BUD! SEE U IN FEB!

So I was all excited. Ive got a new rig that hasnt been shot outside my basement. So Im tweaking a few things. Shooting a bit in the basement. Wife distracts me with some question about ..whatever. I go back to shoot....DRY FIRE. (*&@#%!

So yeah... its like that

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've always shot by myself and can shoot in my yard (I was shooting every day, but now down to the weekends because it's dark when I get home from work). I got gloves for Christmas that allow me to pull the arrows out of the target better so I can shoot in colder weather now. Being a target archer most of my life, I got my first rangefinder and a target "ball" with a string handle that I can throw around my yard and try to judge yardage (I'm very new at it).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Absolutely no way would I go shoot at an indoor range, especially the range you are talking about with narrow stairs and aisles and poor ventilation. I know too many people who have had Covid. Some did well like a bad case of flu. Unfortunately for others it is much, much worse regardless of general health and pre-existing conditions.

I wish I had a basement range I could shoot in. The ceiling is too low. I can shoot in my garage at about 7 yards. I also push it by trying to shoot outdoors in my backyard. I have a safe place to shoot down into a gulley and have also added a large backstop. The legality is a concern which has recently made the local news. Archery is not considered as discharge of a firearm, but that loophole will probably close and no one wants to be involved in a legal dispute. If I see any neighbors regardless of where or what they are doing, I instantly stop and put the bow away. So far no one has said anything and I plan to keep it that way. I also shoot 3D outdoors. At this time of year both are difficult and probably more detrimental to form and consistency than not shooting. Spring will come and eventually so will the possibility of indoor shooting. But I do not foresee shooting indoors at all this Winter. In my neighborhood, the number of cases has shot up way over the peaks of last year. In fact last year there were very few cases in my town and people were careful. That changed with the holidays and people just getting tired of restrictions. The risk is now much, much higher than in the past. Anyone who thinks this is a joke or not serious, should start by talking with healthcare workers dealing with Covid patients.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an outdoor range within a couple miles of my residence and fortunately being retired no one has been there during the mid week mornings. I’ve became a really accurate shooter out to 60 yards hitting 2” spots at that distance. Love it so much a upgraded my bow to a PSE. Stealth Carbon and with the 4x lens on my CBE single pin slider I’ve a a great time this past year with archery, now my golf game hasn’t shown that kind of improvement but I still try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts