Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have not changed much shoot a lot at my home range, the only reason for not joining indoor leagues this year is cause of work being busy and my son wrestling but still go to my local indoor range to shoot when I can. I know a lot of people that got the China Virus and a lot of medical personnel so I’m personally just going to do what I have always been and that’s just living life not being scared.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I picked my recurve back up on December 8th after a several year hiatus. I've been shooting it every single day, mostly in my basement, but also outdoors when the temp isn't a polar vortex. I did rejoin my local archery club and have shot there a couple times. It's incredibly relaxed and there are no mask requirements. I can't say that COVID has affected my ability to shoot or the enjoyment aspect of it. If anything, I have more free time to shoot since we don't have any social obligations.

I just received my first Covid vaccine injection a couple days ago, so I'm in the process of becoming Covid-Proof. That'll put me more at ease while shooting around others. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
It hasn't impacted on me, so far.

I am 68 and retired on Nov. 16, 2018. Archery is my main retirement activity; I am out to the club, year round, 2 to 5 days/week, dependent on weather. Most days I can't go, I shoot in the basement.

Our club is "rustic", which helps, i.e. 80 acres, including an approx. 4 acre main range, the bush has a 3D trail with bags set on the lanes. There's no building, so there are no shared facilities or confined spaces. Often I am there by myself.

The drill is, drive in, open the gate, wipe your hands down, park, sign in, wipe your hands down, after that, you're handling your own stuff. (This is following the requirements of the reg.'s, here, and our club executive's direction, I am fine with that).

Here, in Ontario, we are just coming under some new requirements at midnight, Jan. 13, which may keep me on my own range at home. There is some confusion in that part of the requirements are that we don't leave home except for medical reasons, groceries, etc.

However, further down in the descriptions, it does say that outdoor recreation facilities can stay open. So they're open, but you are not supposed to leave home to go to them? Hopefully, this gets cleared up.

I am not fearful of Covid but I am cautious. I am 68, had colon cancer surgery on Aug. 31, 2019 which gave me blood clots on my lungs as a souvenir.

Last spring I just started to feel better after my treatments, I don't need another medical problem, now.

My wife and I know people who have died, some younger than us. Her friend how was "run a marathon" fit and in her early 50's got it, survived but 5 months later can't walk around the block.

Given my age and history, I am not sure I'd recover very well, so I am careful.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow - thanks for all the responses. Appears that most of us have continued to find way to shoot, but perhaps not at our preferred venue. Good news is that vaccines are rolling out and hopefully by Spring/Summer things will normalize. Good shooting everyone.

·
Registered
383 Posts
From the responses a lot of folks have access to a local club/range within reasonable driving distance. Just a reminder to keep that in mind when you count your blessings. Some of us do not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I should have added, there are some other impacts for me.

The 2020 Trad 3D's I liked to attend out of town were all cancelled.

Clubs here have not allowed non-members on their ranges, so I have not visited and shot with my cousin, who lives 2 hours away.

Fortunately, I still enjoy shooting at home and at the local club where I am a member, eventually, the the Covid issue will pass and I'll get back to these activities.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
2020 was a total loss. Didn't go out much due to chinese virus. No ASA at all. But I was shooting at home both outside and in my indoor 13 yard range, which my wife calls "the basement". Then came the back problems that required a couple months of Physical Therapy with no shooting for about four months. Then came the hernia problems and surgery. I can't even do decent workouts until the surgeon gives me the ok, probably sometime toward the end of February. So maybe I'll be ready to shoot the Classic. Totally bummed. When you're in your 8th decade you kinda know you're never going to challenge Levi, Jack, and Dan. LOL

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I am lucky to have a 27M range at home but with cold weather it is not always fun. I shot at a range for awhile with a mask on and you can get used to it in a short time. But when the big spikes started coming I just used the home range. Also belong to a club with a small 3D range in the woods which is fun till the snow begins to hide the errant arrows. This too will pass. For my trad bow I use a DAIR target and for change up shoot at different angles/distances and a ends of 5 arrows each shot at a different distance then tally the score-- shooting from an icy driveway adds a wrinkle to the shot cycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shot a bit as a teenager (30 years ago). Just didn't for many years (except for embarrassing myself at a renaissance fair game once). This summer, on vacation in Hilton Head, NC we (wife and two kids - 14 and 12) tried out the small indoor range at the resort. We ALL had a blast, which sparked a new interest for the family and rekindled mine!

The rod and gun club I belong to has a nice 25y indoor range (which is usually empty) and lots of outdoor shooting, including 3D and an elevated stand. We've been shooting there once a week or so, and even shot in the 'league' on Monday (VERY casual league and only a few shooters, all wearing masks in the large indoor facility).

I have also set up a short 10y range in our driveway which we use several times a week.

Long story short; we're shooting way MORE than before the pandemic!!! Always taking the proper precautions, and having a blast! Great family fun that gets us out of the house.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
It hasn't impacted on me, so far.

I am 68 and retired on Nov. 16, 2018. Archery is my main retirement activity; I am out to the club, year round, 2 to 5 days/week, dependent on weather. Most days I can't go, I shoot in the basement.

Our club is "rustic", which helps, i.e. 80 acres, including an approx. 4 acre main range, the bush has a 3D trail with bags set on the lanes. There's no building, so there are no shared facilities or confined spaces. Often I am there by myself.

The drill is, drive in, open the gate, wipe your hands down, park, sign in, wipe your hands down, after that, you're handling your own stuff. (This is following the requirements of the reg.'s, here, and our club executive's direction, I am fine with that).

Here, in Ontario, we are just coming under some new requirements at midnight, Jan. 13, which may keep me on my own range at home. There is some confusion in that part of the requirements are that we don't leave home except for medical reasons, groceries, etc.

However, further down in the descriptions, it does say that outdoor recreation facilities can stay open. So they're open, but you are not supposed to leave home to go to them? Hopefully, this gets cleared up.

I am not fearful of Covid but I am cautious. I am 68, had colon cancer surgery on Aug. 31, 2019 which gave me blood clots on my lungs as a souvenir.

Last spring I just started to feel better after my treatments, I don't need another medical problem, now.

My wife and I know people who have died, some younger than us. Her friend how was "run a marathon" fit and in her early 50's got it, survived but 5 months later can't walk around the block.

Given my age and history, I am not sure I'd recover very well, so I am careful.
I’m in Ontario and trying to figure that one out too Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Me and my wife actually took advantage of the opportunity when nobody else are going to our club range. :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I’m in Ontario and trying to figure that one out too Lol

Did they lock everyone up?

I heard it was just the Welsh ex-pats, and for obvious reasons.:p

My right to insult a taffy aside, fingers crossed that the measures help the situation, pretty shocking numbers that I hope they can control with this. I guess our homeland peoples will be able to tell us in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Did they lock everyone up?

I heard it was just the Welsh ex-pats, and for obvious reasons.:p

My right to insult a taffy aside, fingers crossed that the measures help the situation, pretty shocking numbers that I hope they can control with this. I guess our homeland peoples will be able to tell us in a couple of weeks
Well at least the local sheep can sleep easier now eh. Yeah we are under a stay at home order now, let’s hope it knocks it down some.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well at least the local sheep can sleep easier now eh. Yeah we are under a stay at home order now, let’s hope it knocks it down some.

Hopefully, and hopefully its the one and only time it happens too, I worry about our lot back home as they keep getting squeezed ever tighter.
I'm hopeful BC will not get to that, numbers are OK, and population density outside of Vancouver is manageable......we'll see. Its bonkers times right now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For Bigjono. and anyone else in Ontario, FYI;

I saw this on Archery Ontario at 7:30PM, Jan. 13, 2021.

I guess as they used to say, stay tuned.

Reactions: Bigjono

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Hopefully, and hopefully its the one and only time it happens too, I worry about our lot back home as they keep getting squeezed ever tighter.
I'm hopeful BC will not get to that, numbers are OK, and population density outside of Vancouver is manageable......we'll see. Its bonkers times right now.
It’s in a bad way back home that’s for sure. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed I don’t lose any more friends or family, 5 is enough.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
I have adjusted quite well. I have redirected my activities elsewhere. I miss climbing more than archery. I had been making a concerted effort to raise my climbing level despite my age.

Climbing is more urgent since it is a much more difficult sport that does not age as well as archery. I know that I can return to form in archery fairly quickly, even as I get older.

The clock it ticking faster on sports that require greater fitness.

Now I am focused on socially distanced hiking, mostly conditioning hikes, until I retire on Friday.

I have clocked 501 miles and 107,000 elevation feet of gain in the last 6 months including 30.6 miles up two peaks last Saturday. Pretty good for 65.

The problem is that when this is done I will be back hiking with folks that are faster and can go longer. One is over 70 and is a beast. He continues to complete some of the classic test pieces.

I may start shooting a bit after I retire since I can go mid week when the range is empty. Plus I will be shooting outdoor field. No way I go to the local indoor range. I am in and out as fast as I can at the grocery store.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
From the responses a lot of folks have access to a local club/range within reasonable driving distance. Just a reminder to keep that in mind when you count your blessings. Some of us do not.
I keep a local club membership in order to support the club. But I have not been out there to shoot except at TBOT events in all the years I've been a member.
You don't need a club to shoot. Local parks, in your back yard, on Corp land around a local lake. Set a target and back stop and shoot.
But I sure wouldn't be locked down at home by any damned government official either. Not as long as I'm able bodied and willing to defend my freedom.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
I have my own indoor range plus an outdoor range to 101 yards plus a new 3D course I am putting in. However, I shot Vegas last Feb, shot a bunch of ASA Texas qualifiers, State ASA championship, State Field, Target and really only shoot I normally attend was NFAA Indoor but shot their modified “Quarantine “ Nationals. Signed up for Vegas this year but they canceled. Going to Rushmore Rumble in Yankton, shooting SYWAT indoors every weekend, USA Archery indoor in Feb and going to Foley for ASA Pro/Am... so if there is a shoot, I’m going.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts