Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on treestand safety got me wondering, how high treestand hunters go up in a tree...

I usually go up between 20to 25 ft and always wore a "safety belt" till this year,going with the "seat of the pants"...;)

So, how high do you climb???

"Good luck this season" and more importantly "be safe":)

·
Registered
852 Posts
For gun hunting, I like my stands 20 to 30 feet high... For bowhunting, I really prefer to keep 'em under 20 feet, with 15 to 18 feet being ideal, depending on terrain, available cover, approach route, etc... The reason for this, is the higher a bowhunting stand is, the sharper the downward shooting angle becomes for typical bowhunting ranges... For example: a stand that's 25 feet up, and hung on relatively level terrain, presents a fairly sharp downward angle at anything inside of 25 yards - the vitals of a whitetail start becoming pretty small at those types of angles... Of course, getting busted trying to draw becomes more of an issue at less than 25 feet up, but I'd rather get picked off trying to draw sometimes, than to end up with a lower percentage shot at typical ranges... Not knocking anyone else's set-ups, just stating my own ...

- georgestrings

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
I prefer to be 18-22 ft. Better for viewing the suurounding woods.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
12-18 feet, I don't like to be any higher as the angle get very critical, most of my shoots are 10-12 yards and 30 is the longest shoot I have.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No set height for me.I hunt the Foliage,that my chosen Tree provides.Ive been up 50 feet ,but dont make a habit out of it.Most time between 10 -25 feet.Last year i had a great set up,that had a Autum Olive Bush covering the Tree.I cut my stand into the tangle,and seen load's of deer,and was never caught,The Height, 7 Feet.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
I like about 15-18 ft

·
Registered
745 Posts
It all depends on the area. I have been as high as 40 feet, or there abouts, and as low as 18-20 feet. Sometimes I will go up high if I need to see down into high grass or something of that nature. But, if I am in woods were I can see fairly well I will stay around 20-25 feet.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
As high as the situation allows. I normally end up maybe 24-26'. Sometimes as high as 35', sometimes as low as 15'.

30' high and a 10yard shot is only a 45 degree angle, still not that bad.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most of the time it is 15 to 20 ft from the ground. Some of the terrain is so steep that a deer 10yards north may be Eye level and a deer 10 yards South may be 40 feet below.

o\
oo\
ooo\ Tree stand x
oooo\
ooooo-----------
oooooooooooooo\
ooooooooooooooo\
oooooooooooooooo\
ooooooooooooooooo\

Deer like to walk the flat area along the ridge

·
Registered
441 Posts
normally I hunt 12 to 15 feet.But lower or higher both work in the right circumstances.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Depending on the terrain and the cover. Typically from 15 to 20 feet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Usually 15-20 feet. A little higher or lower depending on foliage, and the rest of the background. Heights don't bother me, but I don't like the steep shot angles that happen with close shots and high stands. I think 20 feet up with a shot at 20 yards is perfect.

peashooter

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
12-20 feet....although I have been totally concealed at 6 and look like a big flag waving at 30 so it really depends ...presently 12-15....any higher and you can't see in the woods!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Kilddog,
I thought you were afraid of heights? Hunt naked at ground level and you won't be seen and it is easier to pee.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
yeah right....i can't afford to be afraid of heights...my job requires it....my ladder truck is 105 feet....that naked thing feels good at that height...you sure don't need that stuff to figure out which way the wind is blowing!!!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
20 to 30 feet, depending on the spot, wind and all.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like to get at least 14', 18' is probably my ideal height, but I've gone as high as 22' on occasion.

·
74,535 Posts
to High

I usally go pretty high for gun and sometimes bow. I have taken two good falls and survived. Being electrician climbing all day usally. I dont do enough safety when hunting. It just depends on wind currents and what I feel a need to do.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I climb until I hit the end of my bow rope. 20 feet. This way I am always shooting from the same height, and comfortable with shooting all the angles present at that height.

During gun season I go as high as the tree will let me go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts