Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hang between 30-40 Ft for Bow and will go as high as 50 for gun.

Why you ask? Because I don't need to be concerned as much about movement and deer just don't look that high. And yes I use a safety harness, Always.

Andy

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I hang 10-12', the IBEP recommended height is 14' to the floor of your stand. The higher you are, the higher your shot angle and the smaller the area of the vitals you can hit. Besides, gravity sucks @ 12' and Gravity = 9.8 m/second^2, so 50' really has to suck or at least the stop does.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the second bounce that does the damage. I have no plans on letting go on the 1st hit that way I'll break minimal things.

Andy

·
Registered
834 Posts
20-28 ft in my neck o the woods is a must, to dang hilly those deer can look right at ya sometimes.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
The key to the entire mess is KEEPING YOUR BUTT STILL and only hunting the 20 yards or so around your stand. Don't make the mistake of trying to see everything going on for 50 or 100 yards around you, or you WILL MOVE and the deer will see you from the movement.

I always hunted at heights from 8 to 12 feet, cuz I shake like a cat pooping razor blades if I get higher than that, safety harness or not! I'm scared of heights (yet I flew airplanes in the Air Force for years, hahaha). I get nosebleeds at anything over 12 feet and the entire tree starts shaking like an earthquake.

field14

·
Banned
843 Posts
20 ft-ish from the bottom of my API bottom.I have gone higher for rifle,but considering the biggest danger deer huntin is fallin out,the higher you go,if ya did fall...ya ,you know where Im going.Always wear a Safety belt.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I generally stay around 20 feet. I know this because my 20' pull up rope is tied to the seat portion of my climber. When the rope goes tight, I stop. I also try to pick trees that have a number of limbs just above my stopping point, this helps break up your outline.

If you properly choose your camo to match your surroundings, take care of your scent, and remain perfectly still when deer are close, you will not be discovered. Cover everything but your eyes. I've had plenty of deer look up, several times even to try to make me move, and then go right back to feeding. I'm sure I don't look like a limb on the side of the tree I'm in, but if I'm still, I don't look like anything dangerous to them either.

Little do they know!

I agree on the shot angle as stated above, I prefer shots 15 - 20 yards out at 20 - 25 feet. Both lungs are priceless and necessary for efficient kills.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Typically I am between 18' to 22'. Depends upon if I am hunting on a slope, ot sometimes the height of the canopy of branches in the trees around my stand.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
15' to 20' I use four Rapid Rails ladder sections. I have a fifth ladder section if I need to go 4'-5' higher.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
around 20 is great, sometimes as low as 14 or 15 depending on the situation and avaliable cover.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
15-30 depends on the tree and terrain. average height for me I would say is probably about 25ft just seemed to work out that way with those dang trees in MD. Also usually I'm on the lower end in the earlier part of the season and as the leaves fall I work my way up. I always try to have some kind of cover.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Stand Height

I think Field14 had it correct...staying still is the key. Use your eyes to scan with not your whole body.....Id like to share what happened on a evening hunt this evening. I work for a local utility so ive got access to hunting area around our substations.For the first time in many years i experienced groung level hunting for whitetails.Im usually an avid tree-stander but since it was a new area i thought id try setting up in a brush pile and watching a transmission line clearing to see what goes on their....Wow did i get eye level with these deer. It was the most fun ive had in years. I forgot how exciting it was being part of the ground game.I did get a chance to see a nice buck also. What fun it is to change up your hunting styles once in awhile.
God i luv archery! :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
25 to 30 feet. It lets me catch 'em comming in. I'm usually settled down and ready for the shot by the time they get in range.

contractpelot ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rad-----

Is that 30-50 measured feet, or by guess/by gosh feet?

Hummm-------

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
ground game

Funnest game in town.............allthough I did take a forkhorn yesterday from 15'
Jerry

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I typically set up @ 17' - 25', but what I feel is more important than height is how well you are hidden in the tree. That is why I prefer to be in trees with several large branches or trunks, so to help hide me. When I'm in oak trees like that I very rarely get picked out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts