Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my climbing stand, how high should I get in the tree. Does it help with the wind to get higher.

·
Registered
719 Posts
the higher you get the moor wind you get put the new deer we got in this day thay do look up

runawaysXs

·
Registered
254 Posts
how high

When I use my climber I normally go 20ft. if I can.Get you a 20ft.
piece of rope tie it to your climber to pull your bow up. And when
it picks your bow up off the ground you know you are high enough.I think it does help with the wind to get your sent over
the deer,but I still hunt with the wind. Good luck! Jeffrey

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The main thing to consider is simply this. How high can you get and still have a shot angle which will give you a reasonable chance at a double lung hit. Any thing above that height is not responsible regardless of how effective it might be at helping keep the deer from scenting you. Dave

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I have been known ( as have alot of the guys that I know) to go over 30 ft. You can't and shouldn't go that high during the early season. Because the trees are to dense. But after the leaves start to really fall and the trees are really getting bare I will go high. It only creates a problem if you let a deer really get in on you (around 10yds). I hunt with a climber so if I find a tree that I like and it has good cover or a fork in it or what ever and it is 30-35 feet up that's where I will be. I don't look for spots that high but I am not affraid to go that high. If you are scared of heights or aren't comfortable being that high then don't go that high. It will diffentetly make you think about being up there the first few times. Just don't sit out in the open with no cover. If the first set of branches is 30 ft up either pick a different tree or get up there. But don't be 20 ft up with no cover.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Well said Hornet.
Myself,I use a climbing stick.......that only puts me at 16-17 ft.The trick is to find the best cover spot,and try to hunt with the wind.Height will no longer be an issue.
I've never used a climber because I thought it would limit my choices.The stick is thin walled tubing and very light and easy to transport.Also fairly flexible to follow curves in the trunk.
When in new terrain,I can pack my stand on my back,and carry my bow in one hand and the stick in another.
I guess I'm getting off topic here so good hunting to you,
Jerry

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
You only have to worry about shot angle when the deer are really close to the stand (as I said before). I use Spitfires and both deer that I shot last year were double lunged. One was about 22 yds (25-27 ft up) the other was at 16 yds (closer to 30 ft). If you let the deer get 5-10 yds from your tree before you shoot it is going to be staight down at 20ft or 30 ft up the tree.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot, i will consider next time climbing the tree.

Mitch

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
As stated above, I prefer 20 feet to the platform.

I passed on a 7 point for two reasons last sat. One, we only shoot 8's or better and two, not a good shot angle, even at 20 feet.

Too many folks have lost deer with only a single lung hit.

I'll take two please.:D

Never lost a deer when applying this strategy. Every one I've arrowed has been shot through both lungs.

I too use the 20 foot pull up rope trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think there is a set height that is perfect for all situations. My hunting buddies and I get between 16 and 24 feet. My concern is safety first. There are many factors that play into that. How good is your climber? What and how do you "tie in" after you are in the stand, etc. The terrain is next. The one stand we have at 24 feet is a nose bleed stand, I am not afraid of heights but I don't like that stand, but it is THE height necessary to hunt and get a clean good shot. My buddy hunted that stand two weeks ago and missed a 5x5 Pope and Young -- the angle was too severe. Fortuneatly it was a clean miss and all he did was educate the deer, not wound it to die unfound.

Set your stand with a good height for where the deer are going to pass and you get a good shot - and scent loc or not, hunt with the wind in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts