Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys I'am new to the forums and wanted to say Hi first. Here's my question.I'am going to get a new stand this year for bow season and I have a quick question. How high should I hunt? I'am going to get the summit viper soon. I heard 20 feet at least. When hunting 20 feet should I worry about the wind and wearing scent lok. I'am getting new camo for this season too. What do you guys perfer? Any help thanks

·
Relocated Cajun
10,981 Posts
focus your height on back cover....back in the day when I hunted from stands I like getting 20+ft but always look behind your head at what the deer will see...if you are skylined it won't help much

some times 10ft will do better than 15+ due to cover

I started wearing ASAT this year due to being grounded for good :shade:

I alway had great luck with some type of leafy top at least to help break up your outline.....

also try to keep the wind in your face....hunt the ridges if you can, wind swirls in the bottoms.....

welcome, good luck, and make sure and wear your safety harness....SOP safety Vest is sweetn also.....JB

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome...I have killed a lot of deer on 10 foot high ladder stands. In fact last year's buck was shot from this height (p&y 8 pointer). I have shot from higher stands too, but, find it easier to get both lungs the lower I am. Also keep your backside covered to break up your outline as stated above. Best of luck to you! ;)

·
Registered Elker
7,716 Posts
tomr1962 said:
never touch the stuff myself :cocktail:
Brilliant! I had to reread the ttitle but I got it ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just food for thought.

That is a good question.

The answer, in my opinion, is based on what is the most "effective" AND on how much satisfaction and sense of accomplishment you, as an individual, want to get out of harvesting an animal.

This particular reply to your question, is concerning the later of the two.

You CAN get up out of the deer's sight and out of range of their nose, and with todays equipment, lots of bowhunters can shoot distances what my friends and I commonly refer to as "gun range".

There was a time in my life when I just HAD TO take a deer with a bow every fall......sometimes felt I HAD TO fill all my tags.

We discuss subjects between ourselves on the most effective ways to do so.

If we take away 90 percent of the animals chance to see or smell us.....what is left? What chance does the deer have? How much satisfaction do you feel you will get knowing the ONLY item left to chance (pretty much anyway, IMO) is if you are in the area the same time as the deer?

I know a well-to- do businessman that has hundreds of acres to hunt, and has "treestands" built 40 feet up. He is sponsered by one of the BIG BOY bow manufacturers due to his 3D shooting and habitually shoots bucks in th 50-65 yard ranges. He shoots some nice bucks, REAL nice bucks. That sounds as satisfying to me as fishing in a 500 gallon take full of starved 10 lb bass. I would LOVE to hunt there........but on my terms.

Yep, works just great, IMO, to get higher. It DOES change your shot angle immensely and your accuracy is much more important the higher you go.

Any height is legal, as far a I know, but......again, what is bowhunting all about? "Hunting the Hard Way" by H. Hill, just the title tells you something.

CHALLENGE! Satisfaction from being in close and hunting that animal in it's own livingroom so to speak. :teeth:

I only wanted to make a point on this.

THINK about your hunting, not copy others or articles you read. USE their information but keep the "holy grail" of bowhunting in mind, please?

COMPARE these two hunts!

The sense of satisfaction you would get being on GROUND level compared to 40 feet up........and taking the SAME deer. Think of that.....then hunt where it gives YOU the satisfaction level you wish to achieve. :wink:

To a lot, no one here being pinpointed, ANYTHING it takes to make their hunt EASIER, is something worth having. :(

I only ask that you, as an individual, take a GOOD look at what it is you REALLY want from bowhunting and keep that main goal in sight whenever you place your stand or even when you buy your equipment.

Personally, I cannot separate "success" and "satisfaction". Without satisfaction, there is no success. :)

Just food for thought, my friends. Hopefully, at least one hunter here grasps what I am attempting to convey without being offended. :angel:

To answer your question,,,,,my way. I DO hunt in treestands, 15 foot is HIGH for me and is used only when I simply cannot see to shoot lower. I do find however, that every year I spend more and more time hunting on the ground. :cool:

Pick where you decide it works for YOU.......in sense of satisfaction, not just one which is "effective". There is no one that can answer that question.......but YOU, my friend :thumbs_up

God Bless and Shoot straight!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
depends on terrain and available trees. I once had a buck directly underneath me, and I was only 8 feet up.

if your ground is flat, or if you are hunting above a bench, you don't need to go as high.

But if you are hunting on a downhill side, sometimes you have to get pretty far up the tree.

Also, earlier in the year, with more leaves on the trees, you havemore cover, and don't need to go as high.
WHen the leaves drop, you usually need to go higher.

My general rule of thumb is to go up as high as the tree will allow.
But always make sure you don't go too high and close out your shooting lanes.

You really want to feel safe in your stand, should you decide to climb 35 feet

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As many folks have suggested, I let the forest canopy dictate how high I'll hunt from. Sometimes my set-up may only be 14 ft and others must be 25 ft to alllow me to come to full draw and remain undetected. It never remains a constant for me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
How High?

Howdy...and welcome. I know this is going to get repetative, but as those here have already stated...sometimes the canopy has to dictate the height you can go. I usually try to be a minimum of 15' up, and closer to 20' seems best. Having said that, I was in a bunch of evergreens in Michigan and the canopy only allowed me to be about 13' up to have successful shots at the various lanes and openings I was hunting. I had deer all around me, and even bedding right under my stand! No problems. One big factor I feel, is the cover that you have available, respective to the height you are at. That, along with your use of the wind and cover-scents/clothing, etc. The higher you hunt, the less (not totally, though) you have to be concerned with the wind. I have been successful out of ground blinds too...when the wind was right and I did my part with scent elimination. Just my .02 worth...good luck!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would try to stay at 20ft or less .The higher you go the worst the shot angle. Nothing sucks more than having a slam dunk shot go bad because the arrow deflected on entry and only caught 1 lung! Yes scent locs are worth it. (or scent sheild) Ya a tree helps in beating a deers nose but you still have to get to the tree! The tree I shot 2 of my deer out of this year was no bigger then my leg and I was only 12 ft up.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
As most everyone else has said, I try to let the cover decide how high up I go. I have hunted as low as 10-12' before, but most of the time I get around the 20-25' range.

Our season opens tomorrow, and my stand will be about 15' up in an oak tree!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I would say at least 20-25' if the tree will allow it.

Just like the others have said. It allows you to get away with more movement and gets your scent off the ground.

Just invest in a good full body safety harness.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
12 - 20 ft. is high enough and above that the kill zone becomes much smaller due to the angle and path of the arrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.