Archery Talk Forum banner

How important is brace height length?

1884 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  stixshooter
Ill start off by telling you that I have a 26.5 inch draw length. I shoot a Bowtech 82 nd Airborn (6 1/8 " brace heigth) and 36 inch ATA. I have always heard that the longer the brace height, the more for giving it is which inturn creates better acuracy. My question is, Do you think I would be more accurate shooting a bow that has a longer brace height. Or is the 6 inch brace height not that big of an issue because of my short draw length? thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,342 Posts
Brace Height is huge. Short brace Height bows are typicaly touchy and tuff to shoot consistantly. Your draw length doesnt have much to do with it . A Big brace height bow like the Commander at 8 1/8th (mine) vs your 6 1/8th means that my arrow will be gone 2 inches earlier, which means that I wil have the arrow on my string less time/distance than you will. So my arrow is gone faster so i have less time to screw the shot up.

· Registered
681 Posts
Brace Height is huge. Short brace Height bows are typicaly touchy and tuff to shoot consistantly. Your draw length doesnt have much to do with it . A Big brace height bow like the Commander at 8 1/8th (mine) vs your 6 1/8th means that my arrow will be gone 2 inches earlier, which means that I wil have the arrow on my string less time/distance than you will. So my arrow is gone faster so i have less time to screw the shot up.
Draw lenth has alot to do with it. Being a 26 draw you will so to say get a lot more forgiveness from it than a longer draw lenth. Would a 7 or 8 be more forgiving yes but at the cost of speed which is highly overated. If you shoot the bow well then shoot it. Its about finding a bow that soots your style and purpose and draw lenth is a big factor in findin g a happy medium. If his draw lenth is 2 to 3 inches longer than yours your bow will be just as forgiving for u as his will for him being that he has 2 to 3 more inces of arrow to get rid of.

· Registered
6,430 Posts
Try and shoot a Gt500 elite bow with almost the same specs but with a 7" brace height and smoother cams.. You'd be amazed in eth difference between the two bows.. The Gt500 is perhaps the smoothest bow I've ever shot with a 7" braceheight and the speed it getting..

· Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i am thinking that because of my shorter draw length the shorter brace height doesnt have as much of an effect as it might for someone who had a longer draw length. because the arrow is on my string for a shorter amount than someone with a longer draw.

· Registered
681 Posts
I would suggest if you want to see the diffrence go shoot not buy but shoot somthing on the other end of the spectrum like a constitution or something of that nature and make a opinion for yourself. Diffrent bows work for diffrent people.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
you have a short draw length,brace height becomes a lil more critical for every 1/2 " draw length increase. Power stoke is also a factor when considering what is best for you.
I have a 30.5" draw and shooting 8" brace for a 22.5" power stroke. You have a a 26.5" draw with 6" brace for a 20" power stroke. I think your fine with that kind of draw length.A power stroke under 20" really slows a bow down.

· Registered
8,662 Posts

No Expert they will be on the string for the same time. 26 1/2 draw 6 1/8 brace 28 1/2 draw 8 1/8 brace will have the same time the arrow is on the string. Assuming that you have a rest that holds the arrow at the berger hole 26 1/2 - 1 3/4 = 24 3/4 - 6 1/8 = 18 5/8.
28 1/2 - 1 3/4 = 26 3/4 - 8 1/8 = 18 5/8.

Both arrows will be on the string for 18 5/8 inches that is your power stroke.

· Registered
34,533 Posts
[/COLOR]

No Expert they will be on the string for the same time. 26 1/2 draw 6 1/8 brace 28 1/2 draw 8 1/8 brace will have the same time the arrow is on the string. Assuming that you have a rest that holds the arrow at the berger hole 26 1/2 - 1 3/4 = 24 3/4 - 6 1/8 = 18 5/8.

Exactly.....the shorter the draw the less a short brace will effect you.:)

· Registered
13 Posts
[/COLOR]

Not wanting to get into a P contest but...If one bow is faster than would not that arrow be on the string LESS time if everything else is equal.???

When bows were only shooting 250-300 fps I would think that the brace height would be important, But at todays speeds of 330-350 fps I am not so sure. Maybe there is a Physics/Math or Engineer Major that can answer the question.

For my personal opinion...Shoot what works for you. B-Bob

· Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think time is the issue, the "power stroke" is the same. If the measurements are the same and only speed changes, both arrows are on the string for the same amount of string travel.

I'd look at it as a percentage. 8" brace height and a 28" draw length comes to the arrow being on the string for 71% of the total draw length. A 6" brace height and 28" draw length comes to 78.5%, so as we already know, the lower brace height means the arrow is in contact with the string not necessarily longer, but for more of it's total travel length.

Now, for a short draw bow things add up differently. 8" brace height and a 26" draw length comes to 69% whereas a 6" brace height and 26" draw length is 76%

So, mathematically speaking the short draw/short brace bow is in contact with the arrow for about the same percentage as a longer draw/longer brace bow.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
I don't think time is the issue, the "power stroke" is the same. If the measurements are the same and only speed changes, both arrows are on the string for the same amount of string travel.

I'd look at it as a percentage. 8" brace height and a 28" draw length comes to the arrow being on the string for 71% of the total draw length. A 6" brace height and 28" draw length comes to 78.5%, so as we already know, the lower brace height means the arrow is in contact with the string not necessarily longer, but for more of it's total travel length.

Now, for a short draw bow things add up differently. 8" brace height and a 26" draw length comes to 69% whereas a 6" brace height and 26" draw length is 76%

So, mathematically speaking the short draw/short brace bow is in contact with the arrow for about the same percentage as a longer draw/longer brace bow.
I miss lead some one i guess I wasnt putting a stop watch on it.

Percentages mean nothing.... They both have the same power stroke. A 6inch brace with a 26 draw will ba as forgiving as a 8 inch bracw and a 28 draw.

· Registered
3,342 Posts
I miss lead some one i guess I wasnt putting a stop watch on it.

Percentages mean nothing.... They both have the same power stroke. A 6inch brace with a 26 draw will ba as forgiving as a 8 inch bracw and a 28 draw.
that was nt the question, big guy. The question was since his draw is sho short wil he benifit from a big brace height. I said YES because the arrow will leave the bow faster than it will with a short brace. Therefore shorting the time the human hand can fck it up. Which is right as rain. Add that up

· Registered
12,942 Posts
I'm 29-30" draw ... BH is the most important to me after 32+ axle ... I've proved to myself time and again .. But I guess it depends on your draw length .. I never thought of that but it stands to reason that DL is + or - powerstroke VS. BH ... personally I'll never go below 7" again but that's just me and the geometry I need

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.