Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cabelas has the Easton ACC 3-28 arrows for sale, $60 per half dozen, full lenght arrows uncut, with 4 inch vanes, tuneble pin knocks with inserts. Screw in points sold separately.

I know the FITA guys prefer shorter lenght vanes for outdoor, but how significant and noticeble is the performance, say to 90 meters with 4 inches? Also, has anyone ever shortened the "stock" vanes by cutting it with a scissor to say 1.5 to 2 inches?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duss said:
Smaller vanes mean less air drag

Are you shooting recurve or compound?

If recurve, how many pounds?

I was planning on using the arrows on my PSE Mach 9 Compound. Minimum rating is 350 grain arrows. Cut at 29 inches with a 125 point puts it at 360 grains....but am wondering if this might be too light? I also have a 38 lb 68" Hoyt GM recurve and planning to use them on that as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Weight-watcher

I do not think you could find "one-fits-all" arrows in your case.

The 3-28s might be OK with your compound depending on the poundage.... But anyway check the "fit", according to the arrow length, poundage and the type of cams you have.

The recurve would not be enough to reach 90 meters with the 3-28s IMHO

Try and use some LightSpeed 500 spine or 400 spine or other light carbon arrows, depending on how you tune... Tuning arrows on a recurve can be a tricky business where you cannont always rely on the "charts" to get it right. Keep them LONG at first because dynamic stiffness increases greatly with diminishing length. Better a longer arrow than a stiffer arrow especially with a recurve.

I am using LightSpeed 500s 31-1/2" with 100 gr points on a 39# recurve. But I am still slightly "out of tune" because the arrows feel too stiff even with my Berger button very "light". But I easily go to 90 meters because the arrows are very light. The sight almost touches the arrow's fletches.

I should like to find less stiff arrows, it would be better, but I have to watch for weight.

You should try and find a friend with some arrows that you can use and try to tune them to get the feeling of the type (spine and length) of the arrows to use.

ACEs could do but they are much more difficult to tune (narrower "fit range") and would cost much more than...

My 2 cents :wink:

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
tacoben, first thing to consider is what draw weight you are planning on shooting with the compound. That will determine whether the 3-28's will work out of the compound and what length and point weight to use in them. Do not base your arrow building on the min arrow weight. That is only a reference and assumes you are shooting the maximum draw weight on the bow. Plus it is an outdated min to boot. Just make sure you keep your total arrow weight such that the total arrow weight divided by the draw weight of the bow is greater than 5 (>5gr/#). This is considered an industry "norm" for the min arrow weight.

Second, as was mentioned before, drag is important. The heavier vane may cause your downrange velocity to drop off more quickly than a smaller vane. Hence making it more difficult to reach 90m. Especially on a Mach-9 with its mild cams.

Even more important on the vanes, however, is the affect of wind in terms of drift. Bigger vanes will drift more, I believe, than a smaller vane. Most compound target shooters use 1.5" to 1.87" vanes for 90m in comparison. If very careful, I imagine you could cut the vanes down to size. Many 1.5" and 1.75" vanes have the same height profiles as the larger sizes offered by the same manufacturer. Just need to be sure every one is cut exactly the same.

If you give us some idea of your draw weight and draw length on the 9, I'm sure someone would be able to give you some idea if the 3-28's would work out for you. I'm guessing, for example, that if you are shooting a 29" arrow (can usually run the arrow shorter than the AMO draw length of the bow) in the low-50# range on the 9 that a 3-28 w/ 100gr points would be right in the neighborhood of an acceptable arrow spine. Maybe a little stiff for the recurve, but possibly close enough that you could at least play around with the tension on the plunger to get them to work out of the 'curve for playing around. May need to suck in the sight bar (move sight bar in to shortest setting) on both the compound and the recurve to get out to 90m.

Hope any of this helps.............:)

>>------->

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Duss and CHPpro for your responses.

Just for your information...my draw weight right now (on scale) is at 52 lbs at 29 w/fingers. The Mach 9 has Vector 5 cams (soft cams). I currenty using a NAP Centerest.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So it would be OK with your compound. For your recurve you could also try and put your sight bar INSIDE the riser. It has been seen and it works. :wink:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duss said:
So it would be OK with your compound. For your recurve you could also try and put your sight bar INSIDE the riser. It has been seen and it works. :wink:
Gosh darnit!! I just called Cabelas and was told that they just sold out on the ACC 3-28s and were now discontinuing it. However, thanks again for your reply!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts