Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
this is mainly for Tyler88. tyler, here is a pic of my form. i was aiming down at a target from my porch, which is why my arm is down and my elbow is a little lower. thats all you need to know!
and, so this thread doesn't go to waste, how is my form anyway?

Attachments

G

·
Archery 101...

...first off this is NOT a HIJACKING!!!...remain calm...go on as normal!!:cool: ...

...EPLC will tell you that you have too much weight on your "front" foot and you CANNOT get to be the MASTER Archer you desire without proper stance and therefore MUST BALANCE BETTER!!:D ...

...thats all...everything else looks good because of the mere FACT you are shooting from your PORCH and all form bets are off during PORCH shooting sessions:p ...

...just one more thing reele quick!!...

...ain't no wonder you haven't nailed that "chuck" yet...you are not prepared for the "chuck"...he wins...he OWNS YOU!!!...it's what??... at least the afternoon there and your still in your stocking feet!!:eek: ...

...have FUN CORY!!!:D ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
When aiming down don't drop the arm. Lean foward at the waist and keep the upper T form. Nice looking bow you got. Also try shortening the draw a bit.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not my bow, it is my shop owners bow. i grew out of my bow, and i can't get a new one for a few months, so she let me use hers untill i have my new one, it is a hoyt sapphire.
she let me change the draw length, draw weight, take all of her stuff on and put on my stuff.
really nice of her!

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,493 Posts
Actually you have too much weight on your "BACK" foot. :):):)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am doing it how i feel comfortable, and how i would normaly stand. i am not going to force myself to shoot a certain way.
you are supposed to do what is natuaral feeling, therefor making the shot feel smooth and natural.
that is the problem with a lot of people and there form.
they try to force them selves to shoot or look one way, and not doing what is natural and feels good to them. you need to do everything that feels RIGHT to you. don't do what others do, or try to make it look better. there is no RIGHT way to shoot, just different ways, many many many different ways. :)

·
Occam's Razor
9,096 Posts
Re: Archery 101...

DONDEERE said:
...ain't no wonder you haven't nailed that "chuck" yet...you are not prepared for the "chuck"...he wins...he OWNS YOU!!!...it's what??... at least the afternoon there and your still in your stocking feet!!:eek: ...
>>---DD--->;)
DOUBLEDDDDDDDDDD.............now a hi-jacking is underway...............its 6:25 at my abode and I'm still barefooted.......:cool: ......give the kid a break.....and I have no intention of ever putting footware on today at all.........:D

Cory, as for you my son, leaning back a tad too much, give that T "formation" a chance to work..........like IAN said.......A little hard to tell, but it appears that you are leaning your head into the shot also.........enjoy..................ck

·
Registered
184 Posts
as far as i'm concerned, results are more important then form!:D
get comfortable and RELAX!!!!!
once your set up, the most important thing is to aim!
you can have perfect form but if you aren't relaxed and don't aim aim aim, its all for not......
MHO

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Why ask how your form is? If your just going to do it how you want to anyway? Draw is long since your shooting down and leaning back also.

·
Registered
164 Posts
archery1 said:
i am doing it how i feel comfortable, and how i would normaly stand. i am not going to force myself to shoot a certain way.....others do, or try to make it look better. there is no RIGHT way to shoot, just different ways, many many many different ways. :)
I will totally disagree with this. Archery is the most unituitive thing I, and I suspect most other people, have ever done. Some examples:

- Give a beginner a bow and ask s/he to draw it. They will ALWAYS use their arms.

- Said beginner will also draw to the side of their face and have no anchor.

- For recurve they will forcibly open their fingers on release or on compound they will punch the trigger.

- They also spend far too much time trying to aim and will hold for 10sec or more and shake like jelly.

- They hold the riser very firmly.

- No concept of groupings and think that hitting the gold is a great achievement (though I agree it is very nice when you hit it).

- Give an unexperienced archer a bow that is a little heavier than they are used to. They will lean in the direction of their back foot or arch their backs or both.

Everything listed is intuitive and "comfortable" (it is what people expect to have to do) but every instance is totally wrong.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Form

Cory,

I have sent you a Personal Message.

How is your search for a coach going?

Archery is NOT let me repeat that NOT intuitive. You need to develop good form NOW, TODAY. It is much easier to create good habits first rather than remove them later.

What feels odd or strange will feel normal and correct fairly fast if you give it a chance. One of my students (happens to be my son) needed to change his stance to solve a clearence problem that had developed. He resisted for a couple of days.(Bruising continued) then he decided that maybe just maybe I knew what I was talking about. After about 30 minutes he was wondering how he ever did it anyother way. Went on the next week to qualify at the JOAD Master Archer level. His reward? Olympic distances and a new Hoyt Aerotech with Vector limbs.

Good things ALWAYS come to those that work hard.

Things to think about.

COach Gary.

G

·
PAUL...

EPLC said:
Actually you have too much weight on your "BACK" foot. :):):)
...my bad:p ...had the slide in backwards:rolleyes: ...took it out and turned it around...all better now:D :D ...

...CLAYKING...I'm a "tender foot":( ...can't hardly walk across the grass without footwear:rolleyes: ...my wife and daughter could walk across red hot coals I think:eek: :D ...

...unless CORY is prepared to play "kick the varmit" in his socks...that chuck OWNS HIM!!!:p ...

>>>---DD--->;)

PS...COACH 1...I agree...if you are looking to make Archery not only FUN to shoot...but have FUN "while" you shoot it...might as well get started on the right FOOT from the start...and for those that are able to hire a coach or would like to be coached...find one early on, before some bad habits form and possibly take the ENJOYMENT out of the game!!:cool: ...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
archery1 said:
there is no RIGHT way to shoot, just different ways, many many many different ways. :)
I'm not sure if you're right. Korean coaches "won" the following medals in the 2000 Olympics:

* women's gold
* women's silver
* women's bronze
* men's gold
* men's team gold

This is no accident. They have a perfect form that they teach from the start, as a discipline.

The very best compound shooters (like Dave Cousins) have a strong aspect of recurve archery as the foundation of their form, with only minor changes.

You need to get a coach who understands these things, and read these books:

1. "The Simple Art of Winning," by Rick McKinney

2. "Mastering the Compound Bow," by James Park.

3. "Idiot Proof Archery," by Bernie.

Good luck! In passing, if you were in Korea, they would not have given you a bow for months. Instead:

* you would practice with your body
* you would practice with a rubber band
* you would practice with a bow and no arrow
* you would get everything

(This starts at age 10, I think.)

They don't mess around in Korea, because they take archery as serious business.

Now, if you're in archery to have fun, then do whatever you like. But if you want to be a champion, then you better get ready to study. :)

Best of luck,

kgk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am quite aware of that, my (sparodic) coach has been to Ki Sik Lee's seminars. But you still left out the fact that the korean women got every possible medal a single team could get.

Also as good as Korean coaching is, it is useless without a good archer. Simon Fairweather not only won the Gold but also had to rebuild his technique from the ground up in less than 3 years. Lets see most archers do that. Credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
183 Posts
form

Hey theres quite a few on here that offer advice,ask them to post there form picture as a get feedback on there style,everybody has there own methods and some of this advice might not be compatible with you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts