Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm definitely not the pro, but I like my bow elbow and shoulder low and lock but relaxed, u have a bend in it which some can shoot good but could b hard to duplicate shot to shot, draw shoulder looked and elbow looked pretty good

·
Registered
79 Posts
Might sound like I'm picking your form apart, but hopefully some of it helps. It looks like your draw length might be slightly too short judging by the bend in your front elbow. You should also try to keep your front shoulder down, and your front hand about level with your front shoulder. Your rear elbow is also very high, preventing you from getting good back tension. Keep your front half rock solid for a second after you shoot. If you haven't already, go to the NockOn youtube channel by John Dudley and start watching his School of Nock series from the beginning. Its very helpful. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
If you have time, look at some of the other post on how is my form and then take the kind of pictures that give the best information.

Looks good to me.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
I've never had anyone check my form. Would you mind telling me what you think?
When shooting DOWNHILL, you do not stand up straight and just drop the bow arm. So, get your target (middle of target) ALL The way up to shoulder height, so you can take a LEVEL shot. Need a form photo like this.

So, we need to see the floor, and we need to see all of you head to toe. What's with the tape on the wall? Put a LEVEL strip of tape on the wall behind you, the tape needs to be above your shoulders, so you can see the tape in the photo. Why do YOU need to see the tape on the wall behind you? Cuz, you are going to redo the photo, as many times as you need to, until you get your bow hand HIGH enough, so that the arrow is DEAD parallel to the strip of masking tape on the wall behind you. BUT, the target is on a chair, so I HAVE to aim downhill. So, put boxes and boxes under your target, to get the target (middle of target) ALL the way up to your shoulder height, so you can lift the arrow ALL The way up to dead level. aFTER you give us a proper photo for a LEVEL arrow at full draw, then, we can talk later about form for a downhill shot.

Note to the feller who says his draw length is short, cuz his bow arm is bent, for a downhill shot, while standing up. Ummm, nope.

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
I've never had anyone check my form. Would you mind telling me what you think?
Your video and a static freeze frame of you, an instant before the arrow was fired, is completely un-usable. But, why? Well, first, you asked about form. Your form is completely wrong, for a downhill shot. So, let's go over the basics, shall we? Let's start with evaluating form for a DEAD LEVEL arrow, cuz, that form is the easiest to evaluate. So, first problem, your arrow is nowhere near level. Since you have no idea what the FORM feels like, for a dead level arrow, we give you a little cheat...a level strip of masking tape on the wall, behind you, and put the masking tape above shoulder height, like in the example photo. Since you have Zero idea what a level arrow feels like, you will need to redo the photo, multiple times, until you do get the bow hand HIGH enough, so the arrow is PERFECTLY level, not arrow slightly uphill, not arrow slightly downhill, but arrow DEAD LEVEL, just like in the example photo.

Second problem, we cannot see your shoes and the ground. Well, of course not, the kitchen counter is in the way. Besides, not enough room between the wall and where the person is holding the video cam, to shoot me from head to toe. So, fine, don't shoot the arrow from your kitchen into the dining room. NO need to shoot an arrow anyway. Goto your garage, and get the target off the floor, off the chair, and find a spot where the video cam or the camera phone can be far away enough from you, to get a photo, like the example photo, where we can see the floor, can see your shoes, can see all of you head to toe. LEVEL arrow, LEVEL shoulders, and we will fix up your form. Your grip needs MASSIVE work. Need to see what happens with the tops of your shoulders, with a DEAD LEVEL arrow. Need to see what you do, with your upper body, when the arrow is DEAD LEVEL. So, try again.

Attachments

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Are the arrows flying awesome and hitting where you aim?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are the arrows flying awesome and hitting where you aim?
Yes, but I think my draw length may be a little short. I want to make my shooting more consistent and I need my draw length right for that to be possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would agree that your draw length looks a hair short and you could open up a little more when shooting. Again id agree with many in recommending john Dudley stuff. it also looks to me like the heel of your hand may be contacting your bow slightly...also keep a relaxed grip. Cheers and good for you for asking for feedback.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just switched from an index finger release to a Carter Silverback. that may be why it feels a little short.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
Here is a better picture. Thoughts? View attachment 6750663
PRoblem 1. DROP the right shoulder lower towards the ground, so the RIGHT shoulder is the same height as the left shoulder.
Problem 2. PUSh the riser as far from your face as possible, for just ONE photo.
Problem 3. Peep is TOO high, so your right hand is anchoring WAY TOO LOW. So, ignore the peep, close your eyes if needed, to ignore the peep. LIFT the nock higher, lift your release hand HIGHER, so the nock is about 3/4-inch below the corner of your mouth.

New photo, fixing these three problems. There are OTHER problems, but, we will fix those OTHER problems, later. If the string does not touch your nose, for this next photo, that's ok. Just need a "let's see what happens photo".

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
Yeah, I know. You heard you just HAVE to get the string to touch your nose. So, the feller who installed your peep, set your peep TOO HIGH, so for the string to TOUCH your nose, you gotta bend your left arm, something fierce. Well, that's now how you setup a bow. You don't randomly stuff the peep into the string, and then contort your body to FORCE fit the bow. Other way around. You pick a reasonable ANCHOR, and then, you go back to the feller with the bow press and reset that peep 100 times, if needed, until the PEEP is installed in the string, a skosh higher or a skosh lower, until the PEEP fits your anchor. So, cuz your peep is so SKY HIGH, then, you have to bend your left arm a ridiculous amount, and the nock ends up farther and farther and farther BACK on the side of your face. So, IGNORE the peep, and lift the nock, and your release hand 1/4-inch HIGHER. BUT, if I lift my nock and my release hand 1/4-inch HIGHER, then, the string won't touch my nose, the string will be BEHIND my nose. Yup. So, UNBEND your bow arm, to shove the nock FORWARDS.

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
THIS is what happens when you LIFT your arrow nock, and your release hand UP 1/4-inch higher. The string ends up BEHIND the tip of your nose. So, nope, the bow DL is not short. Your anchor is all messed up, as in your anchor is too low, cuz the peep is in the wrong spot on the string. So, LIFT up the nock and LIFT UP your release hand about 1/4-inch HIGHER (ignore the peep). Then, post up a photo, with the nock 1/4-inch HIGHER, and a level arrow, and UNBEND the bow arm, to PUSH the riser FOrWARDS, until the string is again, touching tip of nose, with the new HIGHER anchor for your release hand. Just a "Let's See What Happens" photo, with an experimental HIGHER anchor.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is AWESOME! I'll post another photo in a few mins.
By the way. I have a bow press and draw board with a spiral bound "nuts and bolts of archery" book on my desk. I do my own work. Just installed a new catfish custom string and bought a silverback release.
I put my lower jaw between my two knuckles as an anchor. Would you know it, I had to move my peep up a lot.
wait for a new picture.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AT2.jpg
I raised my anchor. I can't seem to get my back shoulder down.

AT3.jpg
This is the photo of me pushing the bow away from my face.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
View attachment 6750989
I raised my anchor. I can't seem to get my back shoulder down.

View attachment 6750991
This is the photo of me pushing the bow away from my face.
2nd photo, do it again, with bow pushed as far as possible from your face, but have the photographer stand 5 ft farther away, so we can see the grass and your shoes. If you don't shoot while wear sandals, put on shoes, cuz shoes change how you stand. Put on the shoes you normally wear, when shooting, and get a new photo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts