Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Depends! Last year I had SEVERAL bucks and does under my stand and "COULN'T" get down! But it was WAY to dark to shoot!

·
Registered
240 Posts
We can shoot a half hour after sundown but I head out 10 minutes earlier. Too darn hard to pick a spot on a deer through the peep any later then that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
How Long Do You Wait?

:eek: I WAIT UNTIL I KNOW:tongue: I CAN'T SEE FOR A KILLING SHOT. FOR SOME REASON MY EYES TEND TO GET BETTER TOWARDS EVENING. MY BUDDY THAT HUNTS WITH ME SOMETIMES GETS DOWN AT LEGAL SHOOTING TIME A 1/2HR AFTER SUNDOWN. AT THAT TIME I CAN STILL SEE GOOD SO I SOMEETIME STAY UNTIL DARK OR WHEN I CAN'T SEE MY SIGHT. SILENTSAM:wink:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Stay till I cant make a good shot...which includes being able to see through my peep, seeing my pins, the vitals on the deer AND SEEING WHERE MY ARROW HITS. Just because you can see the deer and your pins doesnt mean you are gonna see your arrow hit...IMO seeing where you arrow hits is a very important part of tracking recovering your game.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
teambringit1 said:
at end of hunting unless deer are below me, I wait them out.
hitman846,
Ohio's regulation state 1/2 before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. At the 30 minutes after sunset it's difficult, if not impossible, to see colors and that's time to quit. :nod:

Not only is it the law, but it's ethical, in order to see the deer's reaction to a hit, to see the shot placement, not hit a twig/branch/etc. and all that helps to ensure recovering the deer. :thumb:

Like teambringit1, I'll stay in the tree as long as it takes, if there's deer below me. This avoids spooking them, which educates them to my presence. :hand:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I have a red fiber and a green fiber you can see the green way longer so when I can't see the red its over You are bound to miss somthing branches exc. that usauly has me out of my stand about ten min before legal shooting ends. there is always tomarrow I wounded 2 to many at dark in my younger years before ethics set in

·
Registered
129 Posts
I stay until you can't make out the smaller twigs and branches, sometimes thats a bit after legal time and sometimes its a bit before legal time depending on the cloud cover and foilage.

Happy Hunting
Dan

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
In LA the rule is 30 minutes after sunset, out of the 8 or 10 stands I have set up right now I can't see that late. With that said I normally wait until pitch black dark so deer don't see me climb out of my tree. If you let a old doe see you climb down she will look for every time she comes in, at least that is what I have found.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
teambringit1 said:
at end of hunting unless deer are below me, I wait them out.
Yup. Sadly in PA that is at sunset.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Depends on what stand I am in, overcast or not, etc...
Up in the soft woods its to drak well before legal light hits so I sneak out to check the field edges or hardwoods trails while their is still legal light to hunt by.
If out in decent light I stay until legal ends then get down.
If deer are under me I sit until they are gone, but I have waited to long a few times (crabby wife meter) so if they dont move on within 15 or 20 minutes I climb down.
I got to eat too! LOL

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I used to stay until it was pitch dark, but anymore I leave when legal shooting time is up as long as there are no deer around I can see that I would spook.

I prefer hunting mornings. :)

·
7,984 Posts
30 minutes before and after sunset here, and I stay as long as deer are present. Some of my stands get too dark to hunt before legal time is over though.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Legal shooting hours for us ends 1/2 hour after sunset, if there are no deer around, I'm headin' to the truck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I stay until I can't see my pins anymore. You never know when that big buck is going to pop out.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I leave about 1hr before dark. night time temp are still in the low 90s around here and tracking is realy bad even in the day time because its so thick in these woods I would rather not shoot someting I may not find till the next day. gun season is another story.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
I dont get down if there are deer around me...but other than that I generally get down at legal shooting time or a couple minutes sooner. If there arent any deer under/near you at even a few minutes before legal time its very unlikely any will be there in time to shoot. So if the coast is clear I get down.

Depends on the day...clear/cloudy skies...how far you can see/hear etc

in WV there are several bears running the farm...and quite honestly them bears make me nervous in the dark. Now I am the baddest man walking the planet and I could easily whip a bear....but its hard to whip a bear when you cant see what your doing. I generally get down with enuff light to see where Im going on the walk out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts