Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question will have a variety of answers but how long before you upgrade your hunting bow? Do you have a set every three years, every year or is it only when you find a bow that gets you excited?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try and get a few big upgrades a year but I am trying to decide how often to start looking into upgrading a my bow. So far it has been every 4 years but I find that bows are still worth a good amount in that 1 - 2 years old range. After that they seem to drop a lot more in value. Just wondering if guys take that into account or if they are just buying new bows because they can and want them and take the hit on their old bows.

· Registered
223 Posts
My reigns on its 3rd year. I dont see any reason to upgrade. It will see its 4th season next fall.
I use to buy a new bow every year then realized I was into deer hunting more than the latest and greatest bow and I'm a man of 3 soon to be 4, A new bow every year isn't exactly a financially smart move for me.

· Registered
3,250 Posts
I shot 159 mature deer almost all does with a couple of spikes thrown in all under 20yrds,,,with my IPHONe, shot one nice 8pointer with my SR6.. Traded it towards a new RevoltX...after tuneing a Reckoning and a new Revoltx I,m sold on the new overdrive tune capability,s....

· Registered
2,044 Posts
I am on three years with my current set up. Don’t see any reason to change. Plus I have no blood on this bow yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
30,672 Posts
I stopped buying new bows several years ago unless they are discounted year end closeouts.* Eating 40% or more on depreciation is nuts when you can get really good bows nearly half price on the AT classifieds.* Both my bows are 17s that I have no desire to part with at present.

Sent from my SM-G935V using http://bit.ly/Archery_Talk_app

· Registered
454 Posts
Bought my first bow brand new back in 2013 (Bowtech Assassin). Finally got the itch to get something new last year so I bought two used bows near the end of year (PSE Evolve 31 and Athens Rev 6).
I still have all of them but my PSE was my primary this year and likely will be again next season.

Kinda getting the itch to get something else but I know I don’t need it. Hoping I can resist the urge and just use what I’ve got for the next few seasons lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
26 Posts
I'm in my 4th year of shooting and 3rd year of hunting with what I believe to be a 2007 High Country Archery Iron Mace. I thought I wanted a new bow, but decided to play with draw length and draw weight of this bow until I find my best set up. Then I'm sure I will get excited about something different. Bottom line I'm taking my dads advice from when I was kid. "Son, you don't need new equipment when what you got is better than you are."

· Registered
28 Posts
Have been using the same one since high school, unfortunately I kept growing through high school and even into college and the DL is 2" too short but I still shoot it. For those of you buying new bows, is there a reason other than having the newer nicer tech?

· Registered
5,440 Posts
I often find myself "upgrading" by going back to an older model or something entirely different like a frankenbow. I feel that my DNA with GX cams is an upgrade in some ways to my Omen. It isn't much slower but it sure does draw WAY better without a hump and dump at the end. It's so much better for hunting! I have two Carbon Airs and I still prefer hunting with my DNA GX.

I can upgrade at any minute by going to my collection! lol Those with similar issues know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.