Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if carbon arrows wear out at some point, such as in becoming brittle and more apt to crack or splinter or do they lose their straightness to some degree. What's the longest you guys have used the same carbon arrows without problems? Is there a point when you would no longer consider putting a brand new broadhead on a carbon arrow and shooting it at a big game animal? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I honestly don't know if longetivity decreases carbon strength but i doubt it. I would say the only way to weaken an arrow is if you slap them together when shooting tight groups or if they were to ever hit something hard other than a target like, bone or wood is the most common that's happened to me. But I guess i wouldn't know for sure. The longest i've ever used a particular arrow for would be about 2 years. Thats an FMJ shaft. It's hit a few things it shouldn't have and is still a great shaft.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Long time

Some of my Gold tips are 4 years old this coming Christmas, still going strong.

Kev

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I had some Carbon Express arrows that were almost 10 years old before i lost them. I haven't been that luck with a couple other brands though.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have had arrows in a dozen get weak and shoot a little different than when they were new bout a year later. 5-10,000 shots or so. BUT i also have some that are 7-8 years old that still group and shoot fine.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
My first dozen Radial X-weaves were bought 4 years ago. I still have 3 of them and they are fine. I use them for practice only now, they group as well as new ones.
I don't take them hunting, but only because I have some that are only a couple months old.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
ask again in about a thousand years!! carbon will last longer than any man will, you can break them loose them or mistreat them but as far as lasting, i doubt anybody other than God can answer that one!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts