Archery Talk Forum banner

How long do you leave a blind in the woods?

1456 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  mdnabors
I've got a Double Bull Matrix and I'm trying to decide when I should put it out. Our land is about 3 hrs away from my house so I don't get to go up there every weekend or even every other weekend like I'd like. I'm heading up there this weekend to do some work and I debating on whether or not to go ahead and set up my blind now, even though the season doesn't start for almost 2 months. I've waterproofed it and I plan on brushing it in very well, but will it be ok for the 2 months plus however long I decide to leave it up during the season?

This is my first season using a blind, and I'd appreciate all the advice I can get.

Thanks!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· I learn the hard way.
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't leave it out at all. That's too easy to steal and too expensive to replace.
I will be the only person who knows where I put mine up and it will be very difficult to steal. We have lots of land and don't have a problem with trespassers. I was mainly asking to make sure I don't damage my blind by leaving it out too long.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
i leave mine out all through archery...i take it down down before rifle begins...the trespassers like to come out during rifle

i love the look on thier faces when they run in me in the woods lol...they should just be thankfull they run into me instead of my father

· Registered
1,733 Posts
I put mine out about two or three weeks before the opener just to let the animals get used to them. Have an new spot picked out already for one of mine.

Matt

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Blind

I can speak from experiance, if you leave a blind out for long periods of time the sun will eat it up, it will take a bunch of the color out of it and weaken the fabric, I will put one out a couple of weeks before the season, but I wont leave it out after it starts snowing, this is also a problem if you get a big snow it can break rods in the blind with a big snow on it.

· I learn the hard way.
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can speak from experiance, if you leave a blind out for long periods of time the sun will eat it up, it will take a bunch of the color out of it and weaken the fabric, I will put one out a couple of weeks before the season, but I wont leave it out after it starts snowing, this is also a problem if you get a big snow it can break rods in the blind with a big snow on it.
Well I certainly don't have to worry about snow, since I hunt in AL; but that is good to know about the sun. I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the input!

· Registered
3,062 Posts
Depends on a few things...
Is the area open to other hunters (poachers) that could steal it? If so...don't leave it.

Is the spot you plan on putting it in the woods or in the open?
Here's why...if it's in the open there is a good possiblity that it gets blown down by high winds...I learned this the hard way even after staking it down well for just that reason. And like mentioned above...they can discolor from lengthy periods in direct sunlight. So, if it's in the woods and not in sunlight or in the way of high winds you should put it out as early as possible for the deer to get used to it. They will eventually think it's natural and you can slip in it when the wind is right. Good luck

· Registered
3,062 Posts
Depends on a few things...
Is the area open to other hunters (poachers) that could steal it? If so...don't leave it.

Is the spot you plan on putting it in the woods or in the open?
Here's why...if it's in the open there is a good possiblity that it gets blown down by high winds...I learned this the hard way even after staking it down well for just that reason. And like mentioned above...they can discolor from lengthy periods in direct sunlight. So, if it's in the woods and not in sunlight or in the way of high winds you should put it out as early as possible for the deer to get used to it. They will eventually think it's natural and you can slip in it when the wind is right. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.