Archery Talk Forum banner

How long to wait

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how long do you try out a bow before you know, it's just not for you?

Do you keep at it trying to adjust, or just give up and try something else?

A week, month, longer?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I don't see any right answer in your poll. Personally I can tell if the bow and I are going to have a good relationship within a day or two, but everyone is going to have a different threshold of patience. But if you are having a problem based on form, wrong draw length, too many pounds, etc. , it won't really matter what bow you get next,you will still have to correct those problems or it won't feel right to you.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have only had one bow like that, and I stuck it out for about 2 months and just could not shoot it at all, it would not tune, no matter what you did to it, it found a new home with no guaratee after that. Thats been awhile back when bowhunters warehouse was keepin brown real busy.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I think if you are not able to get in a groove with a new bow in 2 weeks, then it's time to move it on down the line:)

·
Banned
241 Posts
every bow ive ever gotten i have had alot of money in it so im make it work. i know a pro (very famous one) who signed with a company who wanted him to shoot there top of the line bow. he couldnt get it to shoot so he made so many adjustments that it turned out that the only thing his bow had in common with the others like it was the name.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 other bows I shoot very well, it's just this one I can't get used to.

Do you think it hurts that I'm switching back and forth between them?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
This is an excellent question!I have owned so many bows I have lost count and only had this problem once but it was a nightmare.I had always shot bows in the 37" axle to axle range and decided to try a longer bow.Bought a Mathews conquest(argueably one of the best bows made)and shot half the 3-d season with it and ended up almost giving up shooting.Not wanting to blame the equipment,I kept telling myself to give it more time,scores kept dropping like a rock.I was so discusted,one sunday I grabbed one of my old bows and shot as good as I ever had.Bow was for sale the next day.Great bow,just was physically not the bow for me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
it depends, sometimes you feel it after one shot, then drop it like it´s hot! i have been shooting with Apex this season but i havent got the results that i have with my Hoyts so i will have to face the fact that the Apex is not the bow for me, -wanna buy it ;)

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I knew when I first laid eyes on....a picture of my bow, on Ebay, that this was the one for me! LOL, I'm too new to the game to have experienced any other brand name bows...I really like the CSS Contender though!

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
None of the right answers are there for me. I am to the point now where I WILL find a way to shoot a bow before I purchase. And not just a few shots either. We're talking at least a 300 round if not more. I have a bit of a ritual I go through when choosing a new bow and the ritual changes depending on what I want the bow for. Shooting 2 or 3 shots and saying "Yeah . . . I want it" is not much different then just buying it from a picture in the catalong.

Questons I ask myself:

1. Is the draw cycle comfortable?
2. Can I let down as easily as drawing (important to me for a hunting bow)?
3. Does the bow make an excessive amount of noise when you shoot?
(Some folks consider hand-shock here but honestly I haven't see a bow that is THAT bad.)

The above are determined in the first few shots.

Next:

4. Can I hit anything witht the damn thing?
5. Can I hit anything CONSISTENTLY with the damn thing?
6. Is it comfortable to shoot a lot of arrows with?

There is more to it then this but you get the idea. So once I go through all this it would take me several months to determine that a bow just isn't for me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I'm left handed and therefore, have very little chance of trying before I buy. I bought several bows which I couldn't quite get to my preferences and the left within a month.

I simple do not buy draw specific bows anymore. You tell me it is draw specific and I walk the other way. I am getting a little bit more brand oriented lately because the Martin bows seem to always be very adjustable for me. They all seem to have a certain similarity of feel too.

I guess, it is because I am left handed and have enough money I can do this, but I never get rid of a bow until I have something which I know I like better. It may take up to six months before I will make that determination.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Not even a week. If I can't shoot it enough at the shop to feel comfortable with it, it does not make the trip home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts