Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I should know this but looking for opinions. Lots of his deer on camera the 7th and 8th. The 9th-11th Cameras went pretty much dead with exception to a couple small bucks and does. Couple midsized bucks on cameras last night not 1 doe. This is 7 cameras over a 1/2 mile. I know to patient because it all changes in an instant.

How much longer can can expect the crickets to keep chirping? .

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Normally a buck stays with the estrous doe for about 3 days then goes shopping again .

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Whenever the chasing phase of the rut starts I rarely get good pics on my cams.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I guess it depends on how many does are around. If the does are plentiful they don't have to move far to find them.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
There's just no answer to that. But the days of seemingly every buck running around nearly all day and night are over for the year. But any one buck could be up and on his feet at any time of the day.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
In my area the biggest bucks have a heard of does much like an elk. Deer go in their area and come out with broken tines.

Lockdown for those bucks doesn't end until the rut does.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
As long as it takes him to breed whichever doe he’s with. Then he goes to find another. The amount of time it takes him to breed her and so on and so on. Does come in on a bell shaped curve. There is no lockdown, there’s just more does in estrous at one specific time than any other time, thus the reason most bucks don’t have to look as hard and therefore you don’t see them looking. But they’re not locked down, there’s just the most amount of does in estrous for that 48 hour period. It’s not a weeks long thing.

Sometimes deer just aren’t moving though. Sometimes they are. Trying to put one specific blanket statement on the way an entire group of individuals act in a very small timeframe is pretty fruitless. There are so many variables that can’t be controlled. Were coyotes in close proximity to the cameras? We’re coyotes howling more than normal? Have you hunted stands too much? Were the majority of does in estrous during that window? Was the wind wrong for deer to be walking that direction? Was it the lock down period? Was it big foot? Did DB Cooper finally land his parachute in the area? Jeffrey Epstein didn’t kill himself. . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shoot straight!
3,618 Posts
By me there is about a 4-7 day window where the majority of does are in heat. This is what i consider the lockdown phase. When there are just a few here and there in heat i consider that more of the searching phase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts