Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to develop a surprise release, and there is a huge variation in how long I have to keep up the back pressure until the shot goes. Sometimes I feel like I am pulling for ages and getting nowhere, other times the release goes within a few seconds.

The question is, as long as the bow is steady and I'm maintaining tension should I just keep pulling or should I start again if the shot is taking a long time?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Shirley,
If you're holding any more than 3-5 seconds,you should probably let down and start over.
It sounds like you may not be relaxing during the shot.Tense muscles will interfere with back tension and cause sporatic releases.
Could also see if you are rotating the release to make it go.If this is happening,you may be able to back it off to help some.
There is also some great info stored in this site on back tension if you use the search mode.
Nothing wrong with letting down.........in fact,its a good practice to do so,and I would encourage it.
Good luck,
Jerry

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
don howard has helped me on all of this and if you post a picture of your release hand, i can answer this for you. :)
i have been through all of this stuff, and i fixed it. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm going to my club tonight so I'll get someone to look at what i'm doing...none of the more experienced compounders were there yesterday when the question came up.

Grant, I won't be able to get a picture sorted for a couple of days, so keep an eye on this post! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. ;) :p :) :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
shirley said:
The question is, as long as the bow is steady and I'm maintaining tension should I just keep pulling or should I start again if the shot is taking a long time?
You should let down when anything is wrong with your shot, no matter what, and then build up from scratch for a fresh shot.

Good luck! :)

kgk

·
Custom callmaker
3,461 Posts
Don't mean to jump in with a new question, but I just got a copper eagle 3 fingure, and it is a change from my caliper release. But now when I am holding I find that I don't hold as steady as I once did and my bow arm (left arm) can now feel some pain after a session of shooting, does it seem that I should lengthen my draw? Also how do you learn to get consistent release. I can get a 3 arrow group to hit a quarter at 30 yd. but I always have on that hits low right about 4". Also my next group I am lucky if I get all four in a pie plate.

I could use some pointers.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds to me like you're over bowed. Drop that draw weight down about 5# and see what ya get. Just this old hillbillys' opinion. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Custom callmaker
3,461 Posts
I don't feel I am over bowed. I can shoot my other release all day with out feeling fatigued. But this release, I think when I draw, it seems that I am pulling more on my bow arm, so to me it seems that I may need to lenthen the draw, since the loop hooks closer to my hand instead of an 1" or more in front. I can go back to old release and I can immediatly feel the difference when holding, and aiming. Although I may just be tense tring to fire this with back tension, since its the first time I ever tried this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts