Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - for hunters who have a few years under their belts and more than two bows, how long does it take you to get used to shooting a new bow so that you're confident enough to hunt with it?

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
All about shooting........

The more you shoot, the more it'll come.......Just don't over do it and have fun!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
took me a good 3 weeks to get used to my new setup....once i was and it was tuned and dialed in i was MUCH more accurate with it

Confidence is there....now i just have to wait another month for the opener :thumbs_up

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering what other people's experiences were. Once I sighted in, I shot bullseyes right out of the box with the Switchback. Wasn't completely happy with my Trap Door rest (I think it needs more recoil than the SB gives), so I'm trying something else. Couldn't be happier with the bow and how it shoots.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I don't think it is an issue of getting used to the bow, but more a matter of getting proficient with the bow.

The bow should feel like an extension of your body, it should be a natural fit and movement, nothing to "get used" to.

Getting proficient with the bow is a matter of practice and tuning and the more dedicated you are to that the faster it will happen. Also, the longer you shoot the faster you will get at it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. Last friday I picked up a Switchback(70#) and am coming from a liberty(60#) and it just "feels" alot different. I'm sure it is a combination of several things......in the end hopefully it'll feel like the others after a few hundred shots.

-lee-

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
cfuhrer, I agree.

I think too many people buy a certain model bow because of the hype. You need to shoot them and see how it feels to you. If I tried ten different bows I bet I could put at least five down right after the first shot because of the feel. I don't think I would consider buying a bow if I thought if I shot it long enough I could grow to like it.

It has to be the right feel from the get go before I would consider buying it.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I think there are too many variables which effect the answer to this. How comfortable the bow feels in the beginning, how often you practice, is the bow properly tuned in...

Just keep shooting and have fun.

David

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I guess about 10 hours of setup and shooting time. Once the bow is setup and tuned, I would paper tune and sight in up to 30 yards. Then I would be ready to go.

I usually spend 10 hrs a week practicing before season. However, I do shoot all year long.

I will however, probably shooting my present bow for an undeterminal time. I don't think I will find a better shooter for quite some time. I am also the original owner.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I think it's tougher getting used to a new release than a new bow. The biggest time commitment for a new bow is getting it set-up and tuned. After it is ready to shoot, set the sights and start moving back. Your groups will let you know when you are ready, not your ability to hit the bullseye.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am shooting a new bow this year and, for me, it took a couple of hundred arrows until I could shoot it without thinking about it and hit my target consistently (and by that I mean a 3 to 4 inch group at 30 yards). With more practice I hope to shrink those groups, but right now I feel very confident about being able to kill a deer at up to 35 yards.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'll second the notion of a new release being tougher to get used to than a new bow. I've transitioned through several new Hoyt bows, and I felt pretty comfortable with all of them right off. If your form is solid, and you concentrate on follow through, I think you can make the switch from one quality bow to another pretty quickly. I've always shot Hoyts, but I would expect that a Matthews or Bowtech or PSE would feel at least similar. But I have picked up my bow and a different type of release than my personal one, and couldn't shoot nearly as well. I'll take my trusty release and a strange bow over the opposite any day!!

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
I'll third the release. :wink:

I spend hours getting a release to fit perfectly in my hand so BT sets it off.

I had my cable blow on my target bow and had to finish with someone else's bow. Still shot a 300 after just 10 practice arrows to sight in. The next week I still shot his bow every other round along with him. I would put my scope on it and shoot then he would put his on and shoot. I still shot a 299. He didn't like the fact I could shoot his better then he did. :D

Great to have friends with identical setups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts