Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season starts here in Indiana on Sunday. How long do you guys usually sit in the stand to during the Early Season? Just curious on the time frame you guys usually get done.

Do you believe bucks move later on in the morning like between 9-11 during the Early Season?

·
John
2,732 Posts
I screwed up this morning. I live in Ne., and went to my blind at about 5:30 this morning. I sat in it until about 7:45 (dumb, I know..but I had some issues). Anyway.....when I got out, I went to my truck to take care of business, and when I came back, I scared off 2 deer that were 20 yards from my blind. I was kicking myself all the way home. (btw, I had enchiladas the day before and had to exit the blind at the worst time in the world!!) I saw these 2 deer at about 8:00. A few days before that, they moved by the blind at around 6:15. I don't think that you would have to stay in the blind too much past 9:00 in the morning to get a good chance. There is a website that has pretty good information about times of movement according to the moon cycle. (some may not believe in this, but I think it's pretty accurate.) Can't remember the name of the site, but if you type "deer movement by moon cycle" in a google search, it comes up. It is based in Missouri.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Depends on the weather for me...If it's above 70 degrees then I stay until 8-8:30 am...When it starts to cool into the 60's for a high then 10-11am is more in order...

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
10:00 and stay away from the enchiladas the night before.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
from 5:45 until 930 or 10:00. allday during the rut

·
Registered
257 Posts
11 AM for me. I find most other hunters in my area head back to their vechicle between 9 and 10 and push the deer. I get up high on a ridge and wait.

After Oct 20th...in the stand all day or still hunting in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I hunt public land so I set from befor sunrise untill 1:00 pm. Most guys go to lunch around 10 or so. I like to see what they push.

On private noon is late enough...

During the rut all day...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
HuntTex said:
Most old timers will tell you the best action is in the afternoon say 12 to 2 or 3.
man..that will interfere with my nap:mg:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'll stay on stand till about noon. grab a quick lunch, and then it's back up the tree I go. But during the Rut I'll stay on stand ALL DAY

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Stay all day dawn to dark hunt out of a ground blind,comfortable,out of the
weather,kinda neat,like hunting in your front room sorta!:)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Usually about an hour before daylight til about 10.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
lxhunting said:
Season starts here in Indiana on Sunday. How long do you guys usually sit in the stand to during the Early Season? Just curious on the time frame you guys usually get done.

Do you believe bucks move later on in the morning like between 9-11 during the Early Season?

not sure about your neck of the woods, but when I hunt in Oregon, early season, I've found that bucks can move just as much midday as they can, early mornings and late evenings. Especially if there is a full moon, weather front, or cold weather.

For that reason, I hunt my stands till at least 10:30 usually. I would love to do all day sits but I cannot seem to talk myself into into and usually take a two hour break between the morning and evening hunt

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
In the early season Ill stay until 10 am. but in the rut I stay until around 1 pm and then take a qiuck break and then back up by 2:30. Although this morning we were standing around outside by our trucks and two nice 8 points crossed the open field just walking slowly and it was 1045. I was a bit surprise to see them up and about at that time this early.

·
Mad Viking
2,046 Posts
10:00 to 10:30 The older I get the less patience I have.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I sit as long as possible. Usually from dawn till 11:00 or 12:00. I have never stayed in the stand all day. This year I will be using a blind and I am going to try a few all day hunts.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I let my...

trail monitor tell me when to stay until at any given time of the season,except
during the peak pre-rut and the rut, then its all day long. In before dark and out when it is too dark to see my green 20 yd. pin.

The introduction of the trail monitor camera has changed my hunting success more than any one other item in my bow hunting arsenal.

Good Huntin'
Joe Lorenti

·
Registered
715 Posts
bigbowman14 said:
man..that will interfere with my nap:mg:
COme on Ron.....you mean you don't nap in the stand

I usually sit all day any day but definately during the rut!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The weather is a big part on how long i stay out for in the AM. If it is hot in the morning i will stay out till around 8-9 o'clock. But if its nice and cold and the deer are up and moving ill stay in my stand till they stop moving or i dont see anything for awhile then i go back to the cabin and wash my cloths again to get rid of the odors and im back out around 1 sitting in one of my evening stands waiting for the big one to step out. But mostly it depends on the weather and what the deer are doing that morning.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts