Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A budy shot a deer thursday night and could not find it. He looked on Friday and nothing. Well I found it this morning. How long can a dead deer lay before it spoils. The temps have been in the low 50's and mid 70's. Is the deer still good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would bet it is probably bad just my .02 cents worth

·
Registered
249 Posts
No Way

Two days with the guts still in it, with those temps? No way. Of course it's possible that the deer didn't die until late yesterday. Sorry for your friends lost deer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The deer jump upward at the sound of the shot and the arrow just barely hit him. It was really low and from looking at the deer it did not look like a vital hit.

He lost track of the blood and walk the corn rows. I went out today and told him you go to the last blood spot I will meet you there. I started out at the begining, found him, followed tracks to the next spot and then saw the deer down the row of corn.

So what does he do? Just cut the antlers off and call it good.

Oh yeah he shot it Thurday at 8 P.M. and we found it at 8 A.M. Saturday(today).

·
Registered
475 Posts
was he still warm when you opened him up? chances are if he died late thursday, a day in the 70's is going to be really bad on the meat. i would prolly cut my losses and just be happy i even found the rack. That my opinion

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No he was stiff as a board and stunk to boot. We drug him out of the corn and cut the antlers of and left him. The coyotes will have fun tonight.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Sounds like you found the guys deer pretty easily. Did he think that since it might not have been a lethal shot, it didn't deserve as much effort? How much time did he spend looking for it? The meat is definately no good. Maybe he should give you the rack.

·
Banned
910 Posts
in S.E texas a couple years ago late in archery season my buddy stuck a doe with a 100 gr NAP shockwave tipped 2315 in the neck at dusk. We tracked her for a couple hours in the dark in some of the thickest stuff above sea level, we gave up on her and by the time we made it back to camp it was 10pm.It was warm that day but got down to the low 50's that night and we went off after her at the crack of dawn. I stumbled on to her at about 7:30 not very far from where we stopped the night before. When we field dressed her she was still a lil warm inside and she bled to death so not much of that inside. She probably expired in the wee hours of the morning.We got her out and skinned ,butchered into quarters and iced it down. we ate it and it didnt give us the hersey squirts or anything. If It smelled OK, thats a key factor right there.

***EDITED for text ma$k!ng. Byron (moderator)***

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
dont eat it

There is no way it is stil good. He would get sick. Maybe in the low 40's for 1 night. Thats a shame. Good find on ur part though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bad Meat

NO WAY.....if the deer was stiff and stunk...Take the antlers, and be glad that you got that much atleast. The meat is most definatelly spoiled.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My question is, to all of you, if the buck was good enough to shoot in the first place, should he put his tag on it?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I would tag it, but to each his own I guess. He killed the buck, why shouldn't he tag it? Especially if he kept the antlers off of it. Doesn't sound like it would have taken much longer to find it if he had kept looking a while longer.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
JASON MYERS said:
No he was stiff as a board and stunk to boot. We drug him out of the corn and cut the antlers of and left him. The coyotes will have fun tonight.

Good choice.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Big H said:
My question is, to all of you, if the buck was good enough to shoot in the first place, should he put his tag on it?
Yes, he should. He chose to kill it, he tags it. The wasted meat is unfortunate, but it's on him. I've done it before!

Best Regards,
Byron :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts