Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Shooting w/o brackets - Limb Failure

Votes: 7 25.9%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many have removed the string suppressor brackets from your Mathews bows? The tech folks over at the Mathews forum have a safety concern with possible limb failure shooting with the bracket holes exposed...

So... I'm curious as to how many are actually shooting without the brackets?

Also... I'm talking about removing the whole bracket, not just the rubber.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
EPLC said:
How many have removed the string suppressor brackets from your Mathews bows? The tech folks over at the Mathews forum have a safety concern with possible limb failure shooting with the bracket holes exposed...

So... I'm curious as to how many are actually shooting without the brackets?
why would you do that????????? if you want to try it just pull out the rubber thingies.................

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
How many times does one have to say that you can cause serious harm if you take them off. Do want you want, but stubborness is not a reason for ignorance. Bob Jenkins already told you that it voids warranty, and possibly can cause serious harm because there are holes drilled into the for them.:pukey:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi EPLC
The weight of rubbers and brackets removed should give you a quicker bow(if that is important).
I shoot out to 90m no problems.
Changing limbs is a good option

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff K in IL said:
How many times does one have to say that you can cause serious harm if you take them off. Do want you want, but stubborness is not a reason for ignorance. Bob Jenkins already told you that it voids warranty, and possibly can cause serious harm because there are holes drilled into the for them.:pukey:
Jeff... your assumptions are incorrect. I'm trying to estimate how many are actually shooting with the brackets removed... and if any problems have actually occured.

Not that it is any of your business, but I personally have chosen to play it safe and use Conquest 3 limbs with my Ovation/MiniMax conversion... which is working out quite well... in spite of the discouraging heap of advise I got over at the Mathews site...

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
This is seriously a bad idea! And yes...your warranty will be gone if you do!
:confused: :tongue:

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kelsnore said:
This is seriously a bad idea! And yes...your warranty will be gone if you do!
:confused: :tongue:
1. The bow is second hand... there is no warranty.

2. This isn't an idea... it's a question.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
:eek:

wow!

3 people are shooting without the brackets so far!

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only 5 out there shooting w/o these... ?

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who had the limb failure? Please explain the details... PM me if you don't want to post here.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
EPLC I think somewhere on here there is a picture where someone took theres off but machined a pice of aluminum(maybe?) to replace the braket missing. I suppose with your skills you would understand this. I think that would be the key is to make sure that stays strong there. I would however advise against taking them off and shooting with nothing there. I'll try and find the picture.

·
Registered
341 Posts
spot said:
Hi EPLC
The weight of rubbers and brackets removed should give you a quicker bow(if that is important).
That's not a true statement. If it were true everyone using an STS device would notice a slower bow. String suppressors will not slow your bow. Anything that adds weight directly to your string will slow your bow.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
which bow are you shooting??

i know the LX needs the bracket because theres where the draw stop hits. you coud take the rubber off, but the bracket needs to be there, at least the one in the bottom limb. or as someone said, put something to replace it.

good luck!!

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
EPLC said:
Jeff... in spite of the discouraging heap of advise I got over at the Mathews site...

People looking out for YOUR safety and warning YOU about the possibility of a SERIOUS injury is discouraging??? :confused: :confused: With a comment like that it's clearly obvious what you want to do, so just yank the supressors and brackets off already and get it over with.

Just don't go sueing Mathews or looking for sympathy when something bad happens ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Lane said:
That's not a true statement. If it were true everyone using an STS device would notice a slower bow. String suppressors will not slow your bow. Anything that adds weight directly to your string will slow your bow.
Actually since the string suppressors on a Mathews are mounted on the limbs it will slow the bow. The STS mounts to the riser so it has no effect.

·
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
PABowhunt4life said:
People looking out for YOUR safety and warning YOU about the possibility of a SERIOUS injury is discouraging??? :confused: :confused: With a comment like that it's clearly obvious what you want to do, so just yank the supressors and brackets off already and get it over with.

Just don't go sueing Mathews or looking for sympathy when something bad happens ;)

Now, now... be nice, perhaps you should actually read my comments above before you come on here flaming. There is NOTHING that I am doing with my Ovation/Mini-Max conversion that could be considered unsafe. If there is, please point out what that is specifically. With regard to my suing Mathews… I can assure you that Mathews has covered themselves sufficiently on this matter. It is also quite obvious that Mathews policy dictates that they will not/can not support "anything" that has not been engineered by them, safe or not. Not saying this is bad policy, just boring for those of us that like to tinker on the edge.

Also, there are now 2 people that claim to have had limb failure because they removed the brackets. Since neither has identified themselves I'm tending to believe they may have posted misinformation with the sole intention of altering this poll and are not based on actual experiences.

If there actually are 2 of you that have broken limbs because of shooting w/o the brackets installed please contact me with the details.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Washi said:
Actually since the string suppressors on a Mathews are mounted on the limbs it will slow the bow. The STS mounts to the riser so it has no effect.

You'll have to prove that statement. I disagree.

Limb savers are on the limbs and they don't slow the bow.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Lane said:
You'll have to prove that statement. I disagree.

Limb savers are on the limbs and they don't slow the bow.
Theoritically, it will slow it down because of the added mass. That is why they cut holes in the cams, to make them lighter.

It will be hard to see the difference, but I assure you could add two cinderblocks to the limb tips and see the difference more readily.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts