Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 6 Slick Trick Broadheads but 2 are stuck in my Yellow Jacket Broadhead target!!!
I pulled out the arrow but the broadheads are still in there. I tried to pull them out but the broadhead ripped off the arrows and are stuck in my target.
I will try and get them out with some needle nose pliers if I can reach in there and reach them and pull the two out. I may need some really long needle nose pliers to reach them and pull them out.

Otherwise I have 4 slick trick broadheads to hunt with.
I am leaving for WY for Antelope on Monday. This is my first bowhunt so that is why I am asking this question.
Will 4 be enough?
I am going for a Buck and a Doe.
I guess I have to make do with what I have and make my shots count.
 

·
300 or bust
Joined
·
13,140 Posts
I have a quiver that hold 6 arrows, so 1 FP for a test shot/squirel arrow and 5 broadheads
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
I have a three arrow quiver, and only carry three arrows with me in the field. I do however, have extra arrows in the truck should I miss or something and ruin one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,328 Posts
PaulyB. said:
Otherwise I have 4 slick trick broadheads to hunt with.
I am leaving for WY for Antelope on Monday. This is my first bowhunt so that is why I am asking this question.
Will 4 be enough?
I am going for a Buck and a Doe.
I guess I have to make do with what I have and make my shots count.
You said it, make your shots count! You could take a sharpening stone and touch blades up as needed. Good luck on your hunt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
I would most definitely NOT take only 4 broadheads on an out of state hunt. Stuff can happen. Maybe you set your quiver down and it gets run over and your broadheads get mangled. Maybe you are walking in or out in the dark and a couple of arrows fall out of your quiver unnoticed. Maybe you actually miss a couple of shots (it happens). I could go on and on.

Try to find some other heads that fly roughly the same--maybe you can borrow a couple from a buddy to try before you buy.
I always take a dozen arrows and broadheads on any out of state hunt. Murphy's Law has a way of jumping up to bite you. Better to be prepared.

Good luck on your antelope hunt. Look for long prongs above the ears and good downward sweep on top and you'll make P&Y. As always any animal is a trophy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
That should be plenty, I hunt with 3 and one field tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,276 Posts
I'd go buy another pack of them just in case
I carry 5 arrows all with broadheads
Extras in my bow case back at the truck
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got 4 Slick Tricks to hunt with

Buellhunter said:
I'd go buy another pack of them just in case
I carry 5 arrows all with broadheads
Extras in my bow case back at the truck
I see no way I can get more for myself between now and monday.

I will make my shots count and hit the double lung on a Buck Anteloe and a Doe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,276 Posts
Good luck on your hunt! I forgot to put that in my 1st post.
Since you can't get more by Monday(think UPS overnight delivery) I would at least take some extra arrows so you can reuse the broadheads if you need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
Cornfed said:
You said it, make your shots count! You could take a sharpening stone and touch blades up as needed. Good luck on your hunt!
Yep. I hunt with 4 or 6 depending on which bow I'm using.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
193 Posts
sambo3006 said:
I would most definitely NOT take only 4 broadheads on an out of state hunt. Stuff can happen. Maybe you set your quiver down and it gets run over and your broadheads get mangled. Maybe you are walking in or out in the dark and a couple of arrows fall out of your quiver unnoticed. Maybe you actually miss a couple of shots (it happens). I could go on and on.

Try to find some other heads that fly roughly the same--maybe you can borrow a couple from a buddy to try before you buy.
I always take a dozen arrows and broadheads on any out of state hunt. Murphy's Law has a way of jumping up to bite you. Better to be prepared.

Good luck on your antelope hunt. Look for long prongs above the ears and good downward sweep on top and you'll make P&Y. As always any animal is a trophy.



I agree,,,,,,For an out of state hunt I would pack more than 4........:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I take 5 arrows tipped with 100 grain Slick Tricks on all my whitetail hunts...as far as out of state hunt I'd bring along my sixth head and extra arrows, you never know when you'll need them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
My quivers hold 4 BH tipped arrows...

When going on an out of state hunt...make a check list, and ALWAYS carry backup arrows and BH's , along with other important equipt.

You only need 1 arrow per kill if all goes right. Shot placement is most important.

Dave
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I don't have more than 4

4_Blade said:
I agree,,,,,,For an out of state hunt I would pack more than 4........:D :D :D
So I am stuck I guess?
Where and how can I get more sent to me on Sunday or before?
Did you read that I have only 4 and that 2 are stuck in my Yellow Jacket?
I['d like to have a dozen.

Thanks for the insight all.'
I am going with 4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,931 Posts
Pauly,
Stop at a shop and pick yourself up a pack of Rocky Mt. Snyper XP3 3 blade expandables.
Just in case......
They fly just like field points and if you find yourself in a spot where you need more heads with zero practice/face time you can be confident that they will shoot with your field points in a pinch.

They are extremely sharp , open fast and will do the job nicely. A little $20 insurance policy.

These will be on my arrows Wednesday a few miles from you.

Good luck and be sure to send me pics of that big goat....hopefully I can return one myself.:wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is what I was thinking

Matt / PA said:
Pauly,
Stop at a shop and pick yourself up a pack of Rocky Mt. Snyper XP3 3 blade expandables.
Just in case......
They fly just like field points and if you find yourself in a spot where you need more heads with zero practice/face time you can be confident that they will shoot with your field points in a pinch.

They are extremely sharp , open fast and will do the job nicely. A little $20 insurance policy.

These will be on my arrows Wednesday a few miles from you.

Good luck and be sure to send me pics of that big goat....hopefully I can return one myself.:wink:

Get some mechanicals if I have to on the road.
Thanks for the advice.
I will do just that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,843 Posts
My Magnus Stingers fly exactly where my target points do. Most shops should have them in stock. Buy two packs of the same grain 4 blade heads and take them with you. If something happens, you can put them on and sight in. I didn't take my target with me, but found a dirt bank and shot 2 arrows for 5 or 6 times each day while hunting. All you need is a dark dirt clod to aim at. Get a Magnus Accu-Sharp sharpener and you'll be good to go.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top