Archery Talk Forum banner

How many bucks alive right now beat the Hanson buck?

• None

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 1-20

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • 20-50

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • 50+

Votes: 26 27.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I thought of this as I was sitting in the stand last night.

How many bucks walking around right now as you read this, would break the world record Hanson buck?

Typical net score only.

· Livin' in a van....
8,508 Posts
i don't know how many in the states. I find it hard to believe that there are a lot of deer even in the midwest that haven't been seen or die of natural causes here. Now Canada and some of their deep timber deer wouldn't suprise me, but most of those don't have the nutrition to grow that big. i'd have to agree w/ stan the man here. not as many as you think.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only Mitch Rompola knows for sure.
HA!!!

Well here's my take on my own question.

I think with the huge number of whitetails alive right now, maybe of I being optimistic but i think there are around ten deer alive right now that would be new world records.

I think the majority of them are living in Canada. And maybe only one or two in the US and I think of the areas where they are living it would be someplace totally unexpected to see a world record deer for the most part. Some not but a few maybe.

I don't know where in Canada but a guess would be the Prince Albert National Forest is probably got one in it. Alberta and Manitoba also seem to have many large deer.

OF course I have no scientific data to back any of this up, just dreamin!!!

I did here of a shed found by a little town in MN a few years ago. Only one side was found. It was one side of a 7x7 (if the other was the same) They figured the score on this horn using a generic deer skull and it scored just shy of 220 inches as a typical!!!:eek: Never saw a picture of this shed so Im a little bit on the non believer side but, I also heard the farmer that found spent hours trying to find the other one and it never turned up.....

Maybe just a story but the area has definetly got all the makings to be a trophy buck growing paradise. Lots of wooded areas, plenty of farm land (lots of corn and soys) the right genetics and very few people.

Kinda cool to think about anyway.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
I've seen one.
Right here in WPG. Too bad its in city limits though. No lie guys I have been seeing this buck for 4yrs now and he has not gotten any smaller. The closest I've been is 25yds at night. What a monster buck! I have spoken to CO's who have an office in the area..... and they have seen him too. The same area is littered with 150" bucks. I have driven thru this area and have seen 40 deer in a feild........ 23 of them were bucks. This a natural herd and the only way they die is age and car collisions:sad:
With that being said my buddy took a 150" 4x4 this yr in velvet.
The other news is they might allow urban hunting next yr.:tongue: I can't wait.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sandilands-

I also heard up by Canora a few years ago a deer was poached that would have been a new record had it been taken legally.

Did you ever hear that?

· Oklahoma bowhunter
1,525 Posts
The hanson buck is huge, a quicky mart near here bought a replica deer mount of that deer, it is ridiulous. I vote more than we think, with a deer heard larger than ever, and hunter numbers declining for the most part across the nation. (I know even though it seems like everything is leased up these days, there are still fewer and fewer hunters). On top of all that, deer management has never been as driven as it is right now. I vote more than expected.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
Sandilands-

I also heard up by Canora a few years ago a deer was poached that would have been a new record had it been taken legally.

Did you ever hear that?
NON typical...... but over the hanson buck.
See here in Mb we aren't allowed to bait but you go one prov west and you can bait...... one east and you can bait. Baiting is for does IMHO. What you need is limited hunting. No rifle muzzleloader seems to work around here. I've always hunted open season areas and would shoot bucks that would be on the small side. Now that I have few ins on private land...... in Archery only area's...... I pass on lots of bucks. More in one day than I would see on public land in the entire season.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
It wasn't Kenora...... but Dryden a couple hundred KM east of Kenora. Moose country.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
no doubt theres over 50. theres over 50 in missouri,illinois,kansas,iowa indiana and ohio alone if you add all of them up. they will all die of old age though. well, most of them anyway. everybody and his brother has been on management programs for years and the bucks just keep gettin bigger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.