Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at right around 3500 calories per day but I am afraid it might be a bit too much, especially the weight. Each day's rations consist of 1 pound 11 ounces (27 ounces). Am I going way overboard or not at all? Rodney, you must be in excess of mine and/or a giant. I tried writing down my day's worth of chow back in the rear but I have no idea what is in home-cooked meals, to include leftovers the next day. I tried calorie counters online/apps but gave up in frustration. I just don't want to haul it if I don't need it or cannot eat it, not to mention the extra butt-floss for the end result along with wipes. For all I know the day might be spent glassing and really not burning all that much fuel. Some guy's ration is less than 2500 calories and to me that seems a bit light. Plus, some people might be better at extracting nutrients out of their diets. I have heard that you cannot carry as much as you burn too.

Let's have it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Depends on your body, everyones is different. I would suggest trying to live on the food your going to pack for a week and see what it does to you. I carry around 2500 cal. Iv thought about more. I have no fat and if i dont replenish my calories i burn out fast. But i am pretty small. Im keeping it at 2500 a day this year and im sure that will be fine for me..... everybody is different though. 3500 is alot to be lugging around though!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had about 2500-2700 per day, and still had trouble eating it all this past weekend. The altitude just kills my appetite.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I had about 2500-2700 per day, and still had trouble eating it all this past weekend. The altitude just kills my appetite.
Dont know how you could eat anything at all with all the water you drank:wink:

I've never gone though and added up the calories in my preplanned meals. I'd guess I'm at 2000 or less per day. I'm not very good about eating while hunting, All I had yesterday was half a snickers bar:embara:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dont know how you could eat anything at all with all the water you drank:wink:

I've never gone though and added up the calories in my preplanned meals. I'd guess I'm at 2000 or less per day. I'm not very good about eating while hunting, All I had yesterday was half a snickers bar:embara:
:cool:

Did you see anything yesterday?

·
Registered
7,439 Posts

·
Is it September yet?
1,897 Posts
I'm 6'4 weighing in at 270 lbs... I'll be carrying around 75 lbs in my pack on the way in. Majority of that is in food. I'm trying for at least 3000 a day, I know I'll lose weight, but I have some fat on me I could stand to lose. Make sure what you bring is good high energy calories, clif bars, trail mix, jerky, and then packing in frozen dinners. Make sure its all high energy filling food.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Somewhere around 2300-2500 calories per day if you don't count my dehydrated deserts that I eat every other day or every third day. And it's always a struggle just to eat that. During a 10 day hunt I normally go from 175 lbs. to 155.

Breakfast: 2 packets of instant oatmeal and 1 package of cheese crackers with peanut butter.

Lunch: 1 everything bagel with lots of peanut butter and Nutella and 2 strips of bacon. 1 package of cheese crackers with peanut butter and 2 fruit leather.

Dinner: 1 Backpacker's Pantry dehydrated meal. (normally Beef Stroganoff, Phad Thai or Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo) And some sour candy for desert or once in awhile a dehydrated desert.

·
JustaNobody
1,780 Posts
Slim, i heard from Wade that you are a walking machine! Sounds like it if you lose 20lbs in a week of hunting.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Somewhere around 2300-2500 calories per day if you don't count my dehydrated deserts that I eat every other day or every third day. And it's always a struggle just to eat that. During a 10 day hunt I normally go from 175 lbs. to 155.

Breakfast: 2 packets of instant oatmeal and 1 package of cheese crackers with peanut butter.

Lunch: 1 everything bagel with lots of peanut butter and Nutella and 2 strips of bacon. 1 package of cheese crackers with peanut butter and 2 fruit leather.

Dinner: 1 Backpacker's Pantry dehydrated meal. (normally Beef Stroganoff, Phad Thai or Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo) And some sour candy for desert or once in awhile a dehydrated desert.
Everyone keeps talking about those cheese crackers, but man, all the ones I ever had were NASTY.
Until.....now!
Keebler has some that are white crackers with Pepper Jack cheese.
MMMmmmmm good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my same thoughts on the cheese crackers. Just can't see eating them on a hunt. What kind are you guys eating, that you like so much?

fyi..my favorite snack is dark chocolate peanut covered M&Ms.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Its a real balance, taking just enough food to keep you going but not weigh you down. Err on the side of not enough food and you won't have the strength to make it over that pass by dark, or to catch that bull you've been dogging all morning. Take too much and you have to carry that weight every step of the hunt.

For me, its hard to choke down more then 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day, or to justify more weight than that in my pack. For me that's about 20-22oz/day of food. I try to follow the 100 calories per oz. rule, in other words if it does not have at LEAST 100 calories per ounce, don't take it.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Lol. We walked 10 to 15 miles per day in the Gila. it was a fun hunt.
I seriously think I would die!
I may be up to 8-10 miles, but that's tops.

In my pack Sunday was a snickers bar and 2 bottles of water, and I had to share with someone who left their pack at the truck!
Try 12 hours on half a snickers and 16 ounces of water................sure was nice when the rain hit to cool things down!

Normally I try to carry at least 2 snack bars, 1 pkg peanut butter crackes, an apple, trail mix, and maybe a sandwich. That is not including anything for breakfast or dinner though.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I seriously think I would die!
I may be up to 8-10 miles, but that's tops.

In my pack Sunday was a snickers bar and 2 bottles of water, and I had to share with someone who left their pack at the truck!
Try 12 hours on half a snickers and 16 ounces of water................sure was nice when the rain hit to cool things down!

Normally I try to carry at least 2 snack bars, 1 pkg peanut butter crackes, an apple, trail mix, and maybe a sandwich. That is not including anything for breakfast or dinner though.
Lol. It's easier when there are elk around every corner. Plus, the Gila is a cake walk in terms of terrain.

And I'm not very good at sharing. =) You are mighty generous.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Lol. It's easier when there are elk around every corner. Plus, the Gila is a cake walk in terms of terrain.

And I'm not very good at sharing. =) You are mighty generous.
Yeah, I've been to the Gila and thought I could run up those hill.....and they even call them mountains???? LOL
Actually, he was being kind. I've been so strict about my diet, he hated to see me give in to temptation and figured by eating half he was just being a good friend......:wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts